This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paintball madness (kind of long)

BG: When I was 16 I got my first job working at a paintball store/paintball field. It was all under the table work. The job involved working as a store employee, doing manual labor and maintenance on the playing fields, and also refereeing painball games. Now something important to remember is that EVERY player EVERY day MUST sign a waiver acknowlaging they will not sue XXX Paintball if they get hurt playing. They also must sit through a mandatory safety brief before EVERY game, which mainly consists of me telling everyone "Do not EVER EVER EVER take your mask off during a game!" I would say this probably 5 times in as many minutes, but do people listen? Well, remember this site's name?

Cast
    Me:
    SK: Stupid Kid
    SKD: Stupid Kid's Dad
    SO: Store Owner

I am reffing a game and Im currently standing near a bunch of kids hiding being a falled tree.

WACK! SK gets shot in the facemask

SK: Aw dammit! (proceeds to pull his mask up)

Me: GET YOUR MASK BACK ON! (I see that the person who shot SK has not stopped shooting) and I run toward him as quickly as possible to pull him down or maybe take the hits myself.

SK: What? Huh? WACK WACK WACK!

Yep, I was not faster then paintballs going 350 feet per second, and SK gets nailed 3 times in his unprotected face before I get him to the ground.

SK: "Crying in hysterics and screaming he can't see"

SKD: HEY! What the hell are you doing tackling my son!!

Me: Sir, your kid just got shot in the face! We need to get him off the field now! (Keep in mind, there are still paintballs zipping all around us.

SKD: You little F**ker!! Whats wrong with you!! Trying to tackle my kid after he's been hurt!!

After a minute of this I finally convince SKD we should have this discussion somewhere a little less "lively" and ya know, where SK can get medical attention.
    SKD doesn't even stay with SK while the paramedics are working on him, he just keeps yelling at me and actually tries to ATTACK me. SO had to pull a gun on him just to get him to leave and actually GO TO THE HOSPITAL WITH HIS SON (yes the ambulance had already left!)

About a year and half later, SKD sues me (yes he waited unil I was a legal adult) SO, and SO's business. I had thought the waivers SK and SKD had signed would have prevented this, but apparently not. Needless to say it didnt get far. My case was dropped because I had been a minor at the time (and the judge didn't think I had done anything wrong) SO fought this clown tooth and nail and damn near went out of business because of his legal fees. But in the end SKD lost.

SK REALLY should have just kept his mask on.

I can't wrap my mind around this dad. You try to protect his son and he tries to sue you after signing a waiver saying that you guys aren't responsible for dumbasses.

I actually think waivers like that should just say "You are responsible for yourself. We are not responsible for you. If you want to be a dumbass, thats all on you"

Comment

Where was Doc N with the roll of duct tape?

(Or the staplegun?)

Comment

What an incredible story! Some people are truly unbelievable.

Comment

I think this story wins the entitlement douche-bag award of all time with a little 'stalker' thrown-in for good measure! That father had you on his radar for over a YEAR!? He needs professional help! Kinda surprised he didn't go after the player who, ya know, was the one who actually SHOT HIS KID IN THE FACE!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I've never played paintball, but this story really made me wince. When I was in high school, a fellow classmate lost use of one eye from paintball. When they tell you to leave the mask on, LEAVE THE DAMN THING ON!
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

lol, yeah as much as I was all about setting this guy on fire back then, I have tempered with age. The only way I could possibly explain it is that he was panic stricken when his kid got hit and somehow in his mind I was the bad guy in the situation, plus no one ever fessed up for being the shooter so since his kid OBVIOUSLY was in NO WAY at fault, it fell on me and SO. SK was fine btw. I guess I could have understood it if he had lost an eye or something.

SCs will be SCs I guess.

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
                I can't wrap my mind around this dad. You try to protect his son and he tries to sue you after signing a waiver saying that you guys aren't responsible for dumbasses.
                People like him are why I think humanity is generally a hopeless case and maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if we were all wiped out and the world started over.

More and more people these days think they're special. They think their children are special. They think rules and laws don't apply to them, and they will fight with every fiber of their being those who try to tell them they do.

I hope that kid's eye was put out. I really do. As a sufferer of a condition that sometimes causes me great eye pain upon awakening (I can't even deal with contacts, they scratch my eyes too much), I try to take the best care of my eyes that I can. And I would make damn sure to keep my safety mask on and down if I were having projectiles shot at me at 350 feet per second.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

He went after you when he should've gone after the cretin who kept shooting recklessly? Or better yet, found a less dangerous thing to do with his son?

You've met Emperor Dumbbunny.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I've played paintball.

1) those things sting, especially in winter when the balls are half frozen
                    2) Those guys don't quit shooting when you get hit. They light you up. If you get hit, take cover! Then worry about wiping the paint off the mask (without taking it off) so you can find your way to the sidelines and clean it proper.

Judge should have thrown out the suit against Store Owner too, because he waited so long to file it. Time is not on your side in filing a lawsuit; judges wonder what the hold up was. That SKD waiting for the OP to turn 18 speaks to his bad motives in suing.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post

Judge should have thrown out the suit against Store Owner too, because he waited so long to file it. Time is not on your side in filing a lawsuit; judges wonder what the hold up was. That SKD waiting for the OP to turn 18 speaks to his bad motives in suing.
                      And judges can be every bit as stuck on stupid as the general populace is.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Even more so. There is no idiot worse than an educated idiot.

Comment

Well, that deaf, dumb and blind kid...

SURE PLAYS A MEAN PAINTBALL!!!
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                            Well, that deaf, dumb and blind kid...

SURE PLAYS A MEAN PAINTBALL!!!
                            Paintball wizard! Love it!
                            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Why did the wavier mean nothing? :S
                              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Working...
                              X