Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trust me, this was not deliberate. (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust me, this was not deliberate. (long)

So this happened while I was a barista at a coffee place in 2003. Kind of a two parter.

It was during the morning rush, maybe about 7:30ish. We were located right next to a corporate building for GM so we had alot of white collars everyday, and at times some of them could have what you might call "an overinflated sense of self worth." Basically they thought their shit didnt stink and would sometimes be assholes to us. I had one of these types in front of me when I was changing out the coffee filters and somehow managed to spill the burning hot, sticky coffee grounds all over my arm, OUCH! As I was frantically trying to wash them off in the sink, this asshole actually starts complaining that he's in a hurry and to quit screwing around!! Oh, pardon me sir! I'm so sorry these coffee grounds which are currently BURNING MY ARM are slightly delaying you today! My boss (who was awesome) stepped in to try soothe this toolbag's ruffled feathers, but then the ass starts demanding his drink be free because it was taking so long! My boss politly told him where he could stick his drink and that he would no longer be served at this location for being such a heartless dick!

Part 2: Cranky old lady

So the burns werent that severe and even though my boss told me I could go to the hospital if I wanted, I stuck around (really needed the hours) The grounds had slightly burned my skin in a very weird pattern due to how they landed on my arm (think of the design on those creamsicle hard candy/cough drops) This is much later in the day now. A lady comes in (she just LOOKED bitchy) and places her order. As Im making it, she comments on the burns on my arm. She actually thought I had done it deliberately, like some kind of tatoo! I insisted this wasnt the case and she began getting huffy, I guess the lowly peon making her coffee shouldnt DARE disagree with her! She was adament that I had "had some kind of burn procedure" and that I had "scarred my body, which is against the Lord's way!" I just sat there and took it from her, when it comes to religion I don't even wanna go there with people, too many problems can arise. She eventually leaves after giving me some christian literature to read, lol.
    Last edited by Rainman; 03-16-2012, 09:28 PM.

Nevermind. Everything I could think of to say about the second lady would get me in trouble with the mods.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I'd be tempted to say that I had burned my arm with hot coffee grounds, "In accordance with prophecy!"

I'm glad you had a good boss.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Just say "God works in mysterious ways" and everyone will be happy.

Comment

Too bad you don't have shredder behind the counter, just for those pamphlets.

Comment

Quoth Rainman View Post
            She actually thought I had done it deliberately, like some kind of tatoo! I insisted this wasnt the case and she began getting huffy, I guess the lowly peon making her coffee shouldnt DARE disagree with her! She was adament that I had "had some kind of burn procedure" and that I had "scarred my body, which is against the Lord's way!"
            Some people are just stupid that way. They'll take anything--no matter how insignificant--and twist it according to their beliefs. No matter what you'll say to them, they'll start spouting some religious garbage. At least she didn't threaten to burn you at the stake for it
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Oh, HELL no! I wouldn't have been able to keep my cool around a bitch like that second one. Just for starters I would probably have torn up that pamphlet right in front of her. Probably would have been fired
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I wont go into what I did or didnt do with her literature, but yeah, not a fan myself either. Espeically when those little pamphlets were sometimes my "tip" during my resteraunt days, ugh. But what really got me was that she simply refused to believe that it wasn't something I deliberatly did to my body. "Lady I just TOLD you what it was. . . why do you think I am lying????"

Comment

Thankfully, I don't work face to face with people or I'd probably get fired the first day. I would have loved to tell that guy nicely where he could put his coffee. What a jerk! Glad your boss was cool.
                  Last edited by Ree; 03-18-2012, 05:23 AM. Reason: Removed fratching comment

Comment

I HATE being accused of lying. I'm actually painfully honest and blunt.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

In response to the marks not being the Lord's way, I would have said, "Neither is being a bitch "
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                        Nevermind. Everything I could think of to say about the second lady would get me in trouble with the mods.

Ditto... although the words "telephone" "anus" and "chili sauce" come to mind.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          In response to the marks not being the Lord's way, I would have said, "Neither is being a bitch "
                          I would never say that, but you hit the nail on the head. She's a total hypocrite.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            I would never say that, but you hit the nail on the head. She's a total hypocrite.
                            I would, if I was a fellow customer. Some people desperately need a smack in the head with a clue-by-four.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                            X