This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Am I Letting it Bother Me?

I'm very new to ths call center stuff. I do it part time for very little money. Its the first hint of a job I've gotten in over four months since I moved. I got married and relocated. I had a good career and was making some decent money. Now hubby and I barely have enough for us, dog and gas. I've been pretty depressed about it. Not used to living like this. I've sold what gold I had. So when this job came along, I was very thankful. So tonight, this hateful man says to me, "Good luck on finding a real job." He has no idea how much I want a better job, a career like I had. Makes me cry just talking about it. I know I shouldn't let it bother me. How do I not let people get to me?

What kind of work?

What kind of work did you do, and what kind do you want to do? And which area of country do you live in?

I tend to find people jobs. Mind you, most of my contacts are in the computer industry, but hey, you never know.

Comment

First of all, what??? Who says something like that? How did that even come up? And you DO have a real job. You're not selling drugs or running a ponzi scheme. And mind you, you're at work, doing your job, and he's calling a call center and insulting the employees. This is how he spends his time? Why doesn't he get a "real job"?
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Companies pay for us to contact their customers to follow up on their service and to schedule additional services. He had told me his son did this when he graduated high school. I had already said my closing statement and muted my mic. Was in process of closing call when he said that. I wanted so much to rip him a new one but he's not worth it. I know that. Just sucks because I do want a better job. They're very hard to come by right now.

Comment

Sometimes the "real job" isn't the best job for you (or even a better job than you have now). I learned that the hard way last year.

And Food Lady is right. It doesn't matter if you're a garbage collector or the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, if it pays real money and takes out real taxes, it's a real job. Anybody who can hold down a job in this economy has my respect. And you're not some nasty jerkass who has to snark at some hard-working employee just to feel like a big shot. Hold your head up and don't let the bastards get you down.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Call Centers can be soul crushing. I've faced down people with weapons, and would rather do that then the call center job I had. Literally cringed each time I had to go into work. So many people think it is an 'easy' job, but it is not.

The ways they say to handle it is 'Don't take it personal' the person is upset at your place of employment..not you.

Also..come here to vent. Don't use names...but venting here does help.

Spoil yourself as you can. Doesn't have to be something expensive. A long hot bath or something like that.

Oh..and try picturing Al Bundy, or Homer Simpson, or somebody like that..on the other end of the phone
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

As I've said elsewhere on here, those who suggest we need "real jobs" are often the ones appearing to have none themselves! I think they make the suggestion in order to free up a vacancy for themselves...
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

you could make a game out of it, like bingo. have a card with some saying in each spot, cross them out when some SC says it, and reward yourself with something like a mocha frapp when you "bingo". i've worked in call centers myself and at first the SC did get to me but then if you think about it, they don't know anything about you. they're bitter and mean and just slashing out at whoever they think is listening.

if anything, make notes of them and write about them here. it will make you feel better by venting about them and gives us something to laugh about because SC are sucky.
                there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

I like the BINGO idea! They all do say the same things--can't seem to come up with anything new. Poor, uncreative SCs.... (same tune as "poor, unfortunate souls....")*

*Ursula in The Little Mermaid--really like that song
                  Last edited by Food Lady; 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Just remember, to the Dickless Sucktomer (Homo ignoramus eunuchus), any one who has a job that inconveniences them in some way does not have a "real job." Furthermore, their habit of berating anyone who does not have a "real job" is speculated to be a form of their mating call, though it is not known how the Dickless Sucktomer hopes to procreate, given their lack of genitalia.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      though it is not known how the Dickless Sucktomer hopes to procreate, given their lack of genitalia.
                      Yet..they continue to multiply..which has most sane people, scientist, and pretty much everybody else perplexed.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                        they continue to multiply
                        Facultative Parthenogenesis; this is why they occasionally have life-partners/parents but always have the exact same stock of comments - it's genetic.
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and welcoming this newbie. Love the Bingo idea. Might work on this tonight and I will take notes for future griping here. But, I have also talked to some great people. One guy worked on an oil rig. I asked him if he ever watched Black Gold on TruTV. He laughed and said it was nothing like that. Then there was the guy that happened to be a salesman for the company I was empoyed by. He had bought from them and I told him he must have been a good salesman. So its not all bad. I just wish I wouldn't let the bad ones affect me so.

Comment

Quoth CallCenterGirl View Post
                            I just wish I wouldn't let the bad ones affect me so.
                            It takes time to grow a thicker skin. Doesn't happen overnight, so don't be too hard on yourself. Read the posts here: every single one of us has been affected by asshole customers. Sometimes they just hit the right nerve, no matter how tough you think you are.

If it helps, remember that that guy literally has nothing going for him that would make him a happier, better person, and the only joy he gets out of life is trying to drag everyone else down into his pit of misery. That's no kind of life, and on one level it's possible to feel a certain pity for the jerk. Pity, not sympathy, I hasten to add. They're not the same thing at all.

And if you need further cheering up, I have some bacon chocolate chip cookies and some beer to share.
                            What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

For sure, don't be too hard on yourself. Some people never even can stop it from getting to them.

It's human nature, to those of us with genuine hearts and souls, to feel pain and hurt from rude and thoughtless people.

It takes time, experience, and practice to grow a thicker skin or apathy. Some just can't. I think I'm one of those. No matter how hard I try, some of my coworkers (and my lead especially) just always get to me, no matter what. It's like I truly cannot believe some people can talk to others that way, it's tolerated, and they don't even realize the words that come out of their mouths or the way they treat people is unacceptable!
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X