Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, just about spot on the money, honestly, LOL.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Email him "00110110001100" and tell him that's how much code his $200 budget will cover...

Is it stupidity or an incredibly sheltered life that lead folks to have no concept at all of market values?
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
        He probably uses the same pitch and budget demands for hookers.
        He probably couldn't even get a date with a blow up doll.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          Email him "00110110001100" and tell him that's how much code his $200 budget will cover...

Is it stupidity or an incredibly sheltered life that lead folks to have no concept at all of market values?
          From what I've seen as a programmer (never done games, just business type custom apps), a lot of people just don't get the concept of computer code, writing lines of logic, anything of that sort at all - they only ever have seen people pushing buttons or entering info into programs, and have no realization that all those programs/games have to be actually written by smeone in the first place in order for others to use them. They simply don't conceive the difference between using a program/playing a game and writing the darn thing in the first place.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            I'm so glad I wasn't taking a drink of my soda when I read that one. It would've hurt coming out my nose and made a complete mess of my keyboard.
            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              There's also entitlement.

I hear about my prices being too high. I figure people treat crafters much like they do programmers. They don't do it (make crafts or write programs), so they don't know how to break the project into probable steps. They can't/won't stop and think that human=/=magic machine. They also feel entitled to have the best whilst paying Wal-Mart prices.

Infuriating, really.
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                It would probably break his....budget.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  It would probably break his....budget.
                  *takes off sunglasses*

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

It's also due to ignorance. Most people have no idea what it costs to make something unless they have done it themselves. Although most people do get the point that "custom-designed" usually costs more than "mass produced crap." But not always, obviously.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

$200 MIGHT cover making a detailed specification from his mess of an outline. IF he was actually cooperative when it came to making the spec.

Which he almost certainly wouldn't be.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Gotta love the "It's simple!" guys when it comes to programming. You see them all the time on the Game message boards too, especially for MMO's. "Why don't you do X! It should be simple!" where X is basically redesigning their favorite class or dungeon or spell line or whatever from the ground up.

200$ would barely cover the first planning meeting for a game like what he wanted, let alone any coding and testing.

Comment

Its like when everyone wanted to be able to sit in Everquest 2. I remember the devs going THE MODELS ARENT BUILT FOR IT!!!! and people yelling THEN JUST ADD KNEES.

Made my head explode every time. People just have NO idea!

Comment

Adding knees to the character models would have the side-effect of immediately making any archer class OP.
                            Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Quoth taurinejunkie View Post
                              Adding knees to the character models would have the side-effect of immediately making any archer class OP.
                              Oh god. The pain, my ribs hurt so much!

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                                "Why don't you do X! It should be simple!" where X is basically redesigning their favorite class or dungeon or spell line or whatever from the ground up.
                                Stock answer: "Well if it's so simple, why don't you do it yourself?"

This answer doesn't even rate a icon, it's just so obvious.

Quoth taurinejunkie View Post
                                Quoth Seraph View Post
                                Oh god. The pain, my ribs hurt so much!
                                OK, I had to sit and think about why that was funny for a minute.

Then I remembered Skyrim.

Last edited by Shalom; 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X