This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSVPd then never showed.

I am part of a LARP. I know the owners. I met a young couple who frequent my work and they became interested in the game. This past weekend they told me how they finally got the time and money to come, they were excited, etc. They are on the game forum and had contacted the owner, who had given them his phone # if they had any questions. I specifically told them where the game was held; pretty much everyone in the area knows the camp site. Another player does the cooking and we all give him $20 a head for dinner friday, 3 meals saturday, and breakfast sunday; it's his money he spends, not the game's, as he volunteered to do this for us. This couple not only RSVPd, for the game, they contacted the guy who cooks and requested meals. He's always gone by the honor system and the players pay him when they get to the game.

Can you see where this is going?

They never showed. So our cook was out 40$ and we had LOT of extra food, because another new player also never showed, so that's 60$. He was upset and is now considering us paying via paypal before the game. The owner tried through the night to call the couple, but never heard back.

Monday I see them at work. I asked them what happened. They swore that they drove around and looked and looked for the camp and couldn't find it (20 min away from where they live, visible on any google map), so they gave-up and decided not to come! After all the 'enthusiasm' they had and all their ranting about how much they WISHED they could get to a game, they just gave-up. It obviously wasn't as important to them as they made it out to be, and they showed no remorse when I told them that they cost this guy a chunk of money. They were adamant that they had called the owner and told them they weren't coming because they couldn't find the place, but he never got a call from them.

However, the owner took it out on ME a bit, because I was the one who first told these guys about the game. So he's acting like I'm responsible for their bad behavior. I hardly know them! I just gave them the game website and a copy of the rule book!

I won't be encouraging them to come to anymore games!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Eek, that's a lot of messiness, where you've got a 'he-said, she-said' situation. Hopefully they both leave you out of the fallout.
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Had something similar happen to me. And like you I got raked over the coals because I was the one who (at the LARP group's owner request of ALL members) found the people and invited them, gave them the address, a PFD of the rules...

Much the same as you.

When the owner raked me over the coals I just looked at him and said "Fine. I ain't recruiting shit. You want people to play? *You* find them."

He got madder and yelled even louder. I turned my back on him, packed my gear and left. Never went back.
      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Jerks.

I think, were they to claim they hadn't called, I'd call them on it. "Oh, really? He said he never got the call. Can you show me on your phone when you dialed?"

There is a possibility, very slim that it is, that they are telling the truth, which could be part of why the owner is being a jerk about it. Or, more likely the case, they're just lying to cover their apathy and irresponsibility, and the moment you ask to check that they called the right number, they'll backpedal on how they contacted the owner, and you'll know for certain it was them.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I was thinking about this. You might want to suggest that newbies pay in advance for two or three times, then you can have credit. If you say you are coming and no show, you still owe. You don't get to attend/eat until you pay up.

Also, the owners a jerk for blaming you.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
            Eek, that's a lot of messiness, where you've got a 'he-said, she-said' situation. Hopefully they both leave you out of the fallout.
            Seriously, these douches don't deserve to be part of a Fallout larp.

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
              Seriously, these douches don't deserve to be part of a Fallout larp.

now I'm picturing it... Cool, but freaky... Hmm, pity you can't add "instant radiation leak" for authenticity for these folk
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Working...
              X