This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Which A Would-Be Thief Gets the Fear of God Put Into Him

Eventful night tonight at the c-store! All night, there were kids (middle school aged or so) in and out of the store from the roller rink just down the street. I kept an eye out, because, as we all know, kids in groups can be trouble. One of them, a boy of just fifteen years old, stood by the pop cooler for the longest time. It should be noted our pop cooler is beside the end of our counter. I work in a tiny store. Anyway, said boy decided it was a GREAT idea to steal a pack of mini cigarillos. He also decided it was a REALLY great idea to brag to his friends outside the roller rink about it. Well, two of the girls who overheard him came to us and alerted us to what was going on. Coworker R took off out the door to talk to the kid and get the stolen goods back. He ended up bringing the kid back to the store, having him sit down and give us back what he stole, and I called the kid's parents. The following ensued. SK is stupid kid, ME is me, CR is Coworker R, and KD is Kids Dad.

CR: *after railing into SK aobut how wrong what he did was* Should we call your parents, or call the cops? What do you think?
    SK: *upset, shrugs* I don't know...
    CR: What do you think your parents would say? What would your parents do?
    SK: *mumbling emotionally* Ground me for life and *mumblemumblemumble*
    CR: I just want to get the point across that you should NOT be stealing and it could get you in a LOT of trouble. Now I'm going to leave it up to this young lady *gestures to me* whether she wants to call the cops or your parents.
    SK: *nods, says nothing*
    ME: Is that all you stole?
    SK: *trembling, pretty much pissing himself with nervousness* Yes.
    ME: Who do you think would be worse punishment? Your parents or the cops?
    SK *sot of shrugs, mumbling through tears* My parents...
    ME: Hmm *takes out a phone book to look up the number for the local police*
    SK: *eyes get big* What are you doing?
    ME: Calling the police.
    SK: *tearfully* Please don't! I'd rather take it from my parents!
    ME: *after considering it for a moment, given that he turned the cigars back in and all* What're your parents names?
    SK: *gives information*

I called SK'd parents. His mom answered the phone, and all I had to say was her son was at the store and we'd had an incident with him, and she said they'd be right down. The entire time wee were waiting, SK had his head down, crying and shaking. His dad finally came in, and the seconf part of the evening's fun unfolded.

ME: Are you his father?
    SD: Yes.
    ME: I'll let him tell you what he did *turns to SK* Why don't you look at your father and tell him what you did?
    SK: *keeps his head down, doesn't speak*
    ME: *after giving him a few minutes* Since you won't, I will. We caught him stealing cigars a bit ago.
    SD: Cigars...*looks at SK, shakes his head*
    ME: *explains how we found out, CR comes up and tells his part of the story*
    SD: What am I going to do? *looks at SK* What should I do about this? *looks at me* Are you going to call the police and press charges? I'd understand if you did.
    ME: Since he returned the cigars, no. If he hadn't, then yes, the police would be called. I can still call them if you'd like.
    SD: *looks at SK, grabs him lightly by the bangs and tilts his head up to look at him* Do you want a record?
    SK: *tearfully* No...*after a few minutes* Is mom home?
    SD: Oh your mom's home. She's the one that got the call.
    SK: *hangs his head again*

After a bit more discussion, SD ordered SK to the car. He talked with CR and I about what had happened. He promised SK would be punished and learn a good lesson. CR did tell him that SK had admitted right away to stealing the cigars when he'd asked him. At least he gets credit for that. By the way, in case you think I should have called the cops...SK's dad happens to be a shift captain at the nearby state prison. I'd say his wrath will be just as harsh and lesson bearing as the police.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
    SK's dad happens to be a shift captain at the nearby state prison.
    As much as this made me laugh, why do I get the feeling SK's mom is the one he's worried about?
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
      As much as this made me laugh, why do I get the feeling SK's mom is the one he's worried about?
      Hahaha, I was thinking the exact same thing XD

Comment

Oh probably, haha! I know my mom was always the one I feared punishing me!

Comment

The punishment mums issue is so much worse, because it's usually of the "I'm just so disappointed" variety... </3
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
            The punishment mums issue is so much worse, because it's usually of the "I'm just so disappointed" variety... </3
            QFT. I think I would rather have a railroad spike driven through my foot then think I have disappointed my mom. She is 1/4th my size, and nobody on earth can scare me as much as she can.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Oh dear mercies, I'd have begged you to call the police than to have my parents called! Mom would have been so furious that my grounding would have lasted as long as a term in jail AND the "I'm so disappointed..." speech? Yeah, juvie almost sounds better!

At least he fessed up and gave 'em back. Bonus is that his dad didn't blame you for the kid stealing. There's hope for the boy yet.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Mothers have a "voice" that can de-calcify your spine...

Please, mom, I'd rather you hit me...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Awesome story!

Hopefully the little shit learned a lesson.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Thanks blas. I hope so too. I'm fairly certain he did. As for what everyone is saying about their moms, that is so true! All my mom ever had to do was THREATEN to punish me, and I behaved. I'm pretty sure this kid won't be seeing the outside world aside from school for a long time to come! Yes, it IS refreshing to find parents that actually *gasp* take responsibility for their kids' actions! Coworker R even told the dad as much, and shook his hand for it. There is a tiny sliver of hope for the world, after all!

Comment

LOL. That was a great story and I'm glad the kid's parents stepped up to the plate and that the kid actually felt shame. In my house, we were more worried about what my dad would DO...but I did not like disappointing my mother. It usually ended up with her crying.
                      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Mothers have a "voice" that can de-calcify your spine...

Please, mom, I'd rather you hit me...
                        In my house growing up, we didn't fear God . . . we feared MOM.

You didn't fool around . . . I've seen that unholy wrath unleashed at several schools I attended . . . even they learned to fear the wrath of Mama DG. Only recall twice that she took a weeping willow switch to me (I was maybe 4 or 5 at the time) but I learned real quick not to cross mom.

That blue Ford F-100 pickup showed up in front of the high school, those secretaries in the office would literally be saying their prayers 'cause they knew somebody's ass was grass and Mama DG was the mower.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Sounds like we have a lot of strong moms amongst our CS family! Love it! I always said, if I have even half the strength and tenacity my mom did, I'll be more than happy. She was the single strongest woman I have ever known!

Comment

By the way, in case you think I should have called the cops...
                            Personally I think you did right in contacting the parents. Sometimes knowing how much you disappointed someone who loves you is far worse than being spoken to - or even yelled at - by a stranger in a uniform.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              Personally I think you did right in contacting the parents.
                              This. ^_^ I guarantee that, between the two options, this is the one that will ultimately teach the young man more effectively
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X