Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest problem I have is with my nickname. It can end with "i", "ie", or "y". I happen to use the "i" ending, which is the least used one, really. One person, no matter how many times I've sent him e-mails with my nickname spelled my way, he inisists on spelling it with the "ie" ending. Which I hate, hate, hate!

Quoth Hobgoblin View Post
    My name happens to be that of a certain Star Wars character who finds out, mid-trilogy (hexilogy?), who his father is....

But for goodness sakes people, come up with something new. I can even deal with Cool Hand comments, just cause it's different.
    I have the same problem, but it's my last name! My mom got in the habit, and I picked it up, of spelling it immediately after saying it and people still get it wrong. Mostly, "Duke". So I've just decided to quit fighting it and say, "as is Skywalker".

About the "Cool Hand" - that's what my mom uses for her e-mail, but spells it differently!

Quoth NightAngel View Post
    Or drop the Jo and call him Han and make Star Wars jokes.
    His name was Solo, he was a pilot, he had a blaster at his side and a smile 12 parsecs wide... (song reference)
    OMG! I haven't thought about that in years!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Sailornight6 View Post
      one proffessor who told me the way i was pronocing it and my whole family pronouces it was wrong.
      Don't feel bad. Apparently my family pronounces our last name wrong, too. Heh.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My name is easy - Julie. Just Julie. But for some reason that even proves to be challenging for some of my co-workers. The latest name I've been called is July. Wow, a whole month just for me? I feel so special.

Growing up my initials were JKL. No biggie, right? Well, to those kids who just *had* to find something to tease someone about they chose my initials. Since they're in alphabetical order I was called "Alphabet Girl". OH NO! THE HORROR! Give me a break...

Comment

Quoth Jules Of All Trades View Post
          Growing up my initials were JKL. No biggie, right? Well, to those kids who just *had* to find something to tease someone about they chose my initials. Since they're in alphabetical order I was called "Alphabet Girl". OH NO! THE HORROR! Give me a break...
          I used to work with a woman whose initials are PMS. Yes, she signed all of her register paperwork with that
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Me it's not the pronounciation--I accept (Phonetically) both Shay-run and Shah-rayne.

It's the spelling on papers.

I've been called on paper Charon, Sharron, Sharrone, Charron, Charene (???) and the latest one when I ordered my work shoes, Cherron!

What is so hard with spelling "Sharon" when you got the source info right under your nose? These are official papers sent with computerized info that has my REAL name in it! What the flock, can't people read?
            Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

My first name is a month, so most everyone gets that right, except for those who go for creative spelling like Aprylle Or Apryl or the like.

My last name is sooooo easy, yet the cashiers at safeway can NOT say it. It's funny because it is ONLY safeway. Doctors offices, banks, people calling, they can all get it right. It rhymes with Olliver but at safeway they insist on going with some sort of french pronounciation

Comment

I go by the English version of my name, simply because North Americans can rarely pronounce my name properly. Look at my username. That is my real name. Now pronounce it. I'll give you a cookie if you can pronounce it properly.

Comment

Tied in with the "Movies ruined my name" bit, I never really had issues with my first or last name (other than my first name seems to be slightly more common than dirt), until Hugo came along and decided he didn't like "Neo". Blarg.

It's not as bad now, but when the sequels were in theatres, it was torture.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post

My name starts with "aah" like apple but most people say "ay" like ape. (And occasionally I get "i" or "e" which makes no sense to me; there is one vowel at the beginning and it's an A.) There are people I've known for years who still say it wrong. After 31+ years, I give up.
                    Want some ammo? The first syllable is a closed syllable based on what you've said. The 'a' (the vowel) is at the beginning, followed by a consonant or two. Because the consonant follows the vowel in the same syllable, the vowel is short (a like apple) instead of long (saying its name). Message me with your name, and I'll give you all kinds of ammo to make the idiots who mispronounce it LOOK like idiots

(I teach reading - I teach my 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders to split up multisyllabic words and figure out what type they are to pronounce the word. I haeve ALL kinds of ammo )
                    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Quoth Ciarrai View Post
                      Look at my username. That is my real name. Now pronounce it. I'll give you a cookie if you can pronounce it properly.
                      Chi-ar-ay?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Ciarrai View Post
                        That is my real name. Now pronounce it. I'll give you a cookie if you can pronounce it properly.
                        "Sha-ray"?
                        Just a guess...
                        Of course, I could also see it as being said Carrey? Maybe a harder syllable, Kary? Like the fire demon in Final Fantasy.

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                        My initials are MM so I used to get M&M's jokes all the time.
                        How often do you get called a terrible rapper? Just out of curiosity.
                        Last edited by Imogene; 03-11-2007, 04:01 PM. Reason: Had to poke a bit of fun. Sorry.
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Is it pronounced as "Chia" as in "Chia Pet"???

Comment

My last name is "Crook", but I frequently get people prouncing it as crock, croak, or cook, and a few times I've had problems picking up prescriptions at the pharmacy because the technician hears my last name as brook, book, rook....etc.

Comment

Quoth Ciarrai View Post
                              I go by the English version of my name, simply because North Americans can rarely pronounce my name properly. Look at my username. That is my real name. Now pronounce it. I'll give you a cookie if you can pronounce it properly.
                              I was gonna guess Carrie...
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Cookies for BookstoreEscapee, who got the English pronounciation. My English name is Kerry, but the Gaelic version that is my actual name is Ciarrai, pronounced Kear-ee (like fear.) No one would be able to pronounce it, so my nametag says Kerry.
                                Which people still manage to mangle.

Comment

Working...
                                X