This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNAKES!!!!!!!!!

And no Samuel L. Jackson to come save the day, either.

Or at least that's the gist of it from the coworkers who were on duty last Wednesday night (I had left by 3 pm) around 7:30ish.

Sissy is working the office. According to her, she was outside for a quick smoke when she saw the customer. At first, she didn't notice the customer's neck because what she (the customer) was wearing around it was similar color to the dress she had on.

Flash forward a few minutes, the customer gets into Daria's line (she told me about this earlier today at work) when Daria noticed something moving around slightly.

The customer was wearing a pair of live Pythons around her neck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you read that right. A customer came into our store wearing 2 live reptiles . . . SNAKES around her neck.

Sissy fled into the office and shut the door as soon as she realized what was going on. Unfortunately for Daria, she had nowhere to go, being stuck at one of the registers inside the kiosk. Fortunately for her, the snakes didn't offer to move during the check out transaction and the customer quickly left.

And nobody thought during all this to page the MOD. But there again, Gump was the MOD that night and even he said this morning he'd probably had hid in the office as well.

WTF???? Who in their ever loving mind would think that bringing live snakes into a grocery store was a good idea?????

I am so glad I missed that . . . I like most animals but reptiles of most kinds I'm not too crazy about.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Reptiles can carry salmonella and other stuff.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Unless there's a specific rule against bringing a pet into the store, it's legally no problem to do so (and not all pets are dogs and cats). I brought my snake to the airport once to show him off to my fellow employees (after calling ahead and making sure that it was okay with the airport ). Some of my coworkers flipped out, but others were excited to meet him.

Some people like to bring snakes out shopping with them because it gets the animal out of it's cage. As you can imagine, living in a terrarium gets boring, and since snakes will lay across a person's shoulders no problem, it's very easy to take them outside for a bit. I take my snake outside when I walk sometimes. He's a good conversation starter, and I like to educate people about snakes when given the chance.

On a side note, I can understand being afraid of snakes, but seriously, why do people run to another room? It's not like snakes have a 50 foot reach and can bite you from across a room.

Comment

I have to say that I never thought that snakes would be bored. I thought that they liked to lay around on heated rocks when they aren't eating. That's what my cats do.

I'm not afraid of snakes, and have been known to yell at idiots who kill rattlesnakes just because they see one. Snakes have an important role in the ecosystem, and wild snakes are more afraid of people than people are of them.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
          I have to say that I never thought that snakes would be bored. I thought that they liked to lay around on heated rocks when they aren't eating. That's what my cats do.
          Cats also like to investigate new things and chase any fast moving objects. Even cats like mine, who are horrendously fat and lazy.

While snakes are okay with simply laying around (especially after just eating a meal), they do like to go outside and find different smells to investigate. For the first few minutes of being outside (or in a new place), they'll be very active and will flick their tongues out like crazy to smell the air. However, they eventually calm down and curl around your neck for warmth.

...Or they'll be like my snake, who prefers to climb down your shirt and hang there like it's a hammock. D:

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
            And no Samuel L. Jackson to come save the day, either.
            You know some of us too well. I was going to quote this movie. I suppose it's a safe bet that Harrison Ford didn't come to save the day either?
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

When I had a small boa, he loved wrapping around my neck & even crawling through my hair; I was always worried he'd hurt himself doing that but he never did. I wouldn't have taken him out to the store but mostly to avoid people reacting this way!
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I remember once when the housekeepers left one of the vacant guest room doors open, and Maint Man saw a little garden snake slither in there....just a little garden snake, and he freaked. He made me search the room before he would go in there. I don't have a problem with little garden snakes, but I never found one in there, so Maint Man was freaking out the rest of the day wondering where it had slithered off to.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm not afraid of snakes, and have been known to yell at idiots who kill rattlesnakes just because they see one. Snakes have an important role in the ecosystem, and wild snakes are more afraid of people than people are of them.
                  Yeah, I had a friend who was scared of snakes and would kill them whenever he found them, venomous or not. He would even kill King Snakes! I kept telling him, Kind Snakes are not harmful and kill rats and other snakes, but he would not listen. He had a small farm too, killing rats should be a big priority for him, but he was just too stupid.

Comment

Service Snake?

haven't come up with what kind of service it does yet but... service snake!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Reptiles can carry salmonella and other stuff.
                      That's the thought I had.

While the snake may be harmless and minding its own business, if a person has handled the snake and not washed their hands, then they start handling food products in the grocery store, there is the potential to spread salmonella.

Now, I realize that's true of all pets, but most grocery stores do not allow pets, (and traditionally dogs and cats come to mind), so not too many people will be handling their pets while they shop.
                      It's also true that there are many things out in the world that present the same risk, but in this case, the snakes were right there around her neck, and there is a known risk for salmonella.

As for running away from snakes, well, some people have a very real phobia of snakes. It's just an instinct to run from them.
                      It's not something we can control without some type of mental conditioning to change it.
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        Service Snake?

"Ah, here we are... Boopity, press 14th floor, please."

Reading the original post made me think of The Far Side cartoon where the guy is walking his alligator that has some woman's poodle in it's mouth, and the alligator owner is thinking, "Wow! This is a great way to meet women.."

Comment

All you need to do is remind the cats that if they continue to sit around lazing all day...

THE STRING IS GOING TO ESCAPE!
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                            On a side note, I can understand being afraid of snakes, but seriously, why do people run to another room? It's not like snakes have a 50 foot reach and can bite you from across a room.
                            Because they're scared, and their instincts tell them to get a far from the threat as possible.

Quoth ReverendBSB View Post
                            I kept telling him, Kind Snakes are not harmful and kill rats and other snakes, but he would not listen. He had a small farm too, killing rats should be a big priority for him, but he was just too stupid.
                            It's a phobia, it doesn't respond to logic. While I'm not scared of snakes, I am scared of spiders, and other things with WAY too many legs. In my head I actually think spiders are kind of cool, but that goes right out the window if there's one in front of me. If there are people around who can handle it for me, I freak out and run away, and they can either kill it or catch it in a jar and let it outside as it pleases them, but if no one is there I have to handle it, and that means I have to kill it because I am incapable of getting close enough to catch it, or of handling something a spider is in.

Please don't denigrate someone else's phobia just because you don't understand it.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            Some snakes can sense an epileptic seizure before it happens. You can't train the snake to do it, though.
                            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Last summer one of my friend's nieces brought her baby python to friend's son's birthday party. My son had a BLAST hanging out with her and playing with the snake (who seemed very friendly). My friend was less amused, being one of those people who can't even stand the IDEA of snakes.

I love them Lilly let me hold hers and he was checking out my hand with his tongue (presumably to see if I'd be tasty LOL)
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X