This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, Wrong Number

The telephone number of our little yogurt shop is very close to the hospital's, so occasionally we get callers who dialed the wrong number. This is completely understandable; after all, everyone makes mistakes. What bugs me is this:

Me: Hello, and welcome to [yogurt shop], how may I help you?
    Caller: Yeah, I need to schedule a colonoscopy.
    Me: I'm sorry, this isn't the hospital. This is [yogurt shop].
    Caller: Oh. Well, can you give me the number of the hospital?
    Me: I'm sorry, I don't know the number.
    Caller: (irritated) Why not?

The preceding example highlights the two most common problems I encounter when dealing with wrong numbers. One, they don't listen; we clearly identify our place of business when we answer the phone, and yet that information sails right over their heads every time. Two, they get annoyed when we say we don't know the number they are looking for. It is not our job to look up phone numbers for another business; if you want the 411, then dial 411 (although you'll probably screw that up too).

If I was a cynical and mean-spirited person, I'd ask the boss to get Caller ID, and make a little list.
    The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

<threadjack> sorry

A guy called me pretty late at night, saying "this is <mumble>" I say "sorry?" "this is <mumble>" I say "who are you calling?" He hangs up.

About 10 minutes later (guess it took him that long to type out the text) ....

"This is Maurice. You gave me your number at the store today."
      Me thinking back ... nope cant' remember giving anyone my cell phone number at work today ... "no, what store?"

Him: "yes you did, at the Morganton store. your name is Laticia"

I have never been to Morganton in my life and I'm an old white woman who is CERTAINLY not named Laticia!!!!!! I type "NO!"

Never hear from hm again. I *was* tempted to call him back and tell him "she played you, dude" :-D

<end threadjack, just had to share> :-D

Comment

I had someone call my store once and said she had the wrong number. Ok, that be normal if it wasn't for this:
        "Thank you for calling _______ at _______ and ________"
        "What department do you wish to call?"
        "Please wait for a member of our staff"
        *music plays*

They prolly didn't wanna talk to me, but I can transfer them anywhere in that store

Comment

When I worked at Picture Me Pissed Studio, we were riiiiiight next to the nail salon. I had the one lady who was absolutely perturbed that I wouldn't give her the number to the nail salon because it's "RIGHT NEXT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!". I did eventually give it to her, because I was tired of her calling and yelling at me on the phone, but geez! See, she was driving and couldn't be arsed to Google the dang number herself.

Comment

Hell, when my mother got a new number for our apartment back in the late 90's, we kept getting calls for the person who had the number before us. There was one time when the guy who called insisted that I must have been hiding this mystery woman in the closet or something.

Comment

I think I mentioned this in another post a long time ago, but when i lived in San Jose, CA, my phone# was 1 digit off from American Airlines. I got calls at all hours. The jerks who kept calling after being told they had the wrong number were in for a rude awakening. I would take their reservation info, hang up and toss it.
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                I think I mentioned this in another post a long time ago, but when i lived in San Jose, CA, my phone# was 1 digit off from American Airlines. I got calls at all hours. The jerks who kept calling after being told they had the wrong number were in for a rude awakening. I would take their reservation info, hang up and toss it.
                I had this scenario in my head after reading this.

Customer to airline

C- Yeah, Im dumass I have a reservation.
                A- No you dont, sorry flight sold out, next flight in three days.
                C-but but, I have non-refundable tickets to whatever!!!

Of course then one of our vacation members gets a phone call.

Comment

People can be so stupid. Why should you have the number of whatever they were trying to call?

We used to get calls on our toll-free number at work from people asking, "Is this the Grateful Dead hotline?" They weren't too good with the listening skills, either...
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    People can be so stupid. Why should you have the number of whatever they were trying to call?

We used to get calls on our toll-free number at work from people asking, "Is this the Grateful Dead hotline?" They weren't too good with the listening skills, either...
                    Well, look at who's dialing the number. A Grateful Dead fan. Aren't they (stereo)typically potheads? Most of the Deadheads I know certainly are....

Comment

I would tell them to Google it & hang up....lol.

Comment

At where I work, one of the things people call us most about is a form to fill out.

Both on the website, AND in the message played before the phone even rings, it says if you are looking for the form go here and click on X. Then the form is on the website.

Probably 75% of the calls I get involve me repeating exactly what the message they heard not 30 seconds ago says. Word for word. Because they don't know how to get the form.

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post
                          If I was a cynical and mean-spirited person, I'd ask the boss to get Caller ID, and make a little list.
                          If I was a cynical and mean-spirited person, the example call in the first post would have gone like this:

Me: Hello, and welcome to [yogurt shop], how may I help you?
                          Caller: Yeah, I need to schedule a colonoscopy.
                          Me: Certainly Sir. May I take your name, address and contact number?
                          Caller: *gives details*
                          Me: And what would you're preferred date be for the appointment?
                          Caller: *gives date*
                          Me: OK sir, your colonoscopy is scheduled for 4.30PM on the 23rd and it's with Doctor Ben Dover. Have a nice day!

If only!

Comment

Quoth Zenova View Post
                            Me: OK sir, your colonoscopy is scheduled for 4.30PM on the 23rd and it's with Doctor Ben Dover. Have a nice day!
                            Does that mean that Maximilliam Payne was not available?
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I used to get calls for two businesses. One had exactly my number, except for the area code! The other, I actually looked up their number, because I was getting calls for them a couple of times a day. Then could tell people "you mis-dialed." They were reversing two of the numbers.
                              I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                              - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Working...
                              X