Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encounters in the 8 neighborhoods(long)

The route has some fun things, and some truly weird things, and some downright horrible things. I deliver to 8 separate neighborhoods, most of which are apt complexes. They have ALL every last one of them, gotten nicknames, some of which will be mentioned.

The Beer Gardens-
    Mostly inhabited by college graduate age people, very pet friendly, this apt complex has some interesting encounters early in the morning, primarily from drunks. No actual SCs, as I have yet to encounter more than one of my actual customers.

Me:
    CD: confused dude

*Carrying papers up to top floor of apt.*
    CD: "hey... Do you have beer?"
    Me: "no... I'm delivering the papers." *walks down hallway, comes back to find him blinking at me.*
    CD "Papers... like... newspapers?"
    Me: "yes....?"
    CD "Do they come with beer now?"
    Me: "....No....?"
    CD: "Oh.... have a nice day then...?"

A momentary Delay

There are frequently beer bottles left abandoned along the stairs here. However, one morning I discovered that one of the apts I delivered to, someone had carefully lined up at least 250 so that they covered ALL of the stairs. 0_o

Party

Bumped into a party that was still going strong on two floors at 4 in the morning. Had two fun conversations with this one.

RDD: Random drunk dude
    GIBI: Good intentions, bad ideas guy

Me: *delivering papers, stepping around people*
    RDD: Oh, hey. Do you know where all the beer got to?
    Me: "no, I'm just here to deliver papers."
    RDD.: "Oh... I was really hoping...." *mumbles into presumably empty cup, then slides down wall*

GIBI spots me as I'm leaving. "Hey! You're working this early?!"
    Me: "Yep. Making money to pay off college."
    GIBI: "You need a beer!" *attempts to hand me beer*
    Me: "Still got a long way to go and I'm driving."
    GIBI: "Take it and drink it at the end!"

It smells of...

The next neighborhood isn't that bad, except for one little thing. This was best described by a good friend of mine who was helping me on the route one morning.

AF: Awesome Friend

*Gets back into car*
    AF: "IT SMELLS LIKE DEATH IN THERE."
    Me: "Yes, I know."
    AF: "NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, IT DOESN'T SMELL LIKE SOMETHING DIED, IT SMELLS LIKE DEATH."
    he actually looked panicked, and more so when I had no explanation for him except that they all either smelled of 'death' or really strong incense

I decided not to tell AF about the fact that this was one of the places people had decided to wander around in their underwear. why the hell would you feel inclined to come to your door and open it in filthy underwear??

I am, unfortunately, unable to get into one of the apt complexes. I am perfectly happy to ring their doorbells, or put it on patios, but I will NOT stand there, at 3 in the morning, waiting for someone I don't know, after I have called hopefully their phone number. Not gonna happen.

Whatever they're on, a friend of mine wants some.

This next apt complex is locked, but I have the key. I just wish I had the key to understanding what went through some of the people's minds....

The chili incident.

I opened the door to find, laid out with almost ritual carefulness, a pile of beans, a pile of ground meat, a pile of cheese, a pile of spices a spoon, and a bowl with the word 'chili' written on a paper next to all of it. I feel sorry for the person who had to clean it.

A message

One of the apts has a message on the door. "You have managed to break your lock 6 times in two weeks. The lock is for your safety. Please stop. If you see someone breaking the lock, please report them."

I suspect I don't want to know

walked in to find that either someone wears too much laundry or they were having a random orgy in the hallway. 3 pairs of underwear, two bras, a shirt and a pair of pants. How do I know someone didn't drop their laundry? it was lodged in the celing tiles, draped over the railing, and on the doorknob. Went around to upstairs to avoid touching the underwear.

Erm.... I don't...

Some of you may remember my power. I did not think it would come into play with this few encounters with people.

DPLW: Determined but possibly lonely woman

*unlocking door, looks up to see DPLW standing there, dressed only in a short, red silk bathrobe.* It is 3:45 in the morning, give or take a couple of minutes, long before this would have been late.
    Me: "Good morning...?"
    DPLW: "Is that paper for ___"
    Me: "yes....?"
    DPLW: "Oh good. I was just really wanting to make sure I got my paper..." moves closer "It was always late last time you see..." *starts tugging on rope holding bathrobe closed, exposing more cleavage.
    Me: "Well, I don't plan on having it be late this time." *leaves*

Land of the old. Theoretically, this neighborhood has someone under the age of 50 in it. I've just never seen any.

There is a paper thief in this neighborhood, so I am calling people to ask them where they'd like me to put their papers (front porch, mailbox proper etc)

"And Good Golly"

"Oh, I just don't want to make any more trouble"
    Me: "That's perfectly alright ma'm, it's far more trouble to me when someone is making off with your papers, in your mailbox then?"
    "Well Gee Jimmny Christmas! I'm so GLAD we have such a wonderful carrier such as you! Right there will work best!"

Geh! Thank you, but GEH!

NG: Ninja Grannie

*bringing paper up to front door, nobody around, 4 in the morning. Turns around*
    NG: "Good morning." I would have sworn on any book you gave me that there had been nobody around, but I turn around and this sweet looking old woman dressed entirely in white is standing RIGHT BEHIND ME. The only possible hiding spots were the roof, and a group of thorn bushes.
    "I've been trying to catch you for a while, you've been doing a great job." *hands me 20$ and walks past me, picks up paper, goes inside*

How... how can you telll.....?!

There is one house in which I put their paper on the porch. There are somewhere around 25 papers, untouched as far as I can work out, sitting on this porch. If I miss a day though, all hell breaks loose.
    Last edited by Opalin; 05-09-2012, 06:01 AM.
    Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
    Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
    -Unknown Author

Just to cut down on the responses, I'm going to give my reactions by the title. :P

Quoth Opalin View Post
    The Beer Gardens-
    That would definitely encourage more people to read the paper though:

FREE BEER!
    Now that I've got your attention....two men were killed when a deer hit their car etc.

There are frequently beer bottles left abandoned along the stairs here. However, one morning I discovered that one of the apts I delivered to, someone had carefully lined up at least 250 so that they covered ALL of the stairs. 0_o
    It's the brand new sport, beer bowling!

Geh! Thank you, but GEH!

NG: Ninja Grannie
    That would make for an awesome cartoon.

How... how can you telll.....?!

There is one house in which I put their paper on the porch. There are somewhere around 25 papers, untouched as far as I can work out, sitting on this porch. If I miss a day though, all hell breaks loose.
    It sounds like whoever delivers there has a case of OCD or similar. That's the only logical explanation I can think of.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have yet to have anyone offer me beer on either of my routes. Usually, if I encounter anyone at all, they try and hit me up for a ride.

I had a customer once like the last one you described. Their porch had so much crap on it, I don't know how they got in and out. There were boxes and planters, and furniture that was piled, and they had newspapers mixed in there, left wherever I tossed them it seemed. But if I accidentally forgot them, they somehow knew. (Their neighbor in that duplex was a super neat-freak, too. Always wondered how they managed to stand living next to each other on the same lot.)
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Why do I think the beer bottles from "A momentary delay" are why Random Drunk Dude can't find any beer?

Quoth fireheart View Post
        That would make for an awesome cartoon.
        I'd watch it. Get Betty White to do the voice.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          It's the brand new sport, beer bowling!
          More like beer dominoes. I can see them setting it up so that knocking one over will send them all tumbling down into a pattern.

I can also see some drunk schmuck thinking that setting up breakable glass bottles to be knocked over as being a brilliant idea.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Free beer! I would've taken them up on THAT offer. Provided that I DO drink them after the drive back. ha ha!

Comment

I had some college kids pass me two beers through the drive thru window back when I work at the golden arches in the early 90's
              Lay your hands upon me
              Like an angel from above
              Put your arms around me,
              'Cause you're fallin'

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

I'd watch it. Get Betty White to do the voice.
                Hmm... who would be her foe though?
                -Unknown Author

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
                  I was going to say "some pirate," but the whole pirates-vs-ninjas thing has been run into the ground, imo.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
                    Some young hotshot ninja who would always be using the latest and greatest technology, or else elaborate computer-generated plans. Ninja Granny would always be able to outwit him/her in the end, though.

Experience and treachery outwit youth and vigor, after all.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      Some young hotshot ninja who would always be using the latest and greatest technology, or else elaborate computer-generated plans. Ninja Granny would always be able to outwit him/her in the end, though.

No school like the old school.

Hey, that could be her catchphrase!

Comment

It's the only way I have survived.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I had a paper route like yours about a million years ago... Two weird encounters: I knocked on the door, as the customer requested, to get paid. I think he was expecting a guy. He answered the door in loose boxers & an a-shirt, and was totally embarrassed to see me. He apologized a million times - and sent the money by mail after that.

In a nice old building, someone was harassing the managers, by dumping the sand out of the ashtrays, trailing it along for yards. The worst thing was when he/she left a dead rabbit in front of their door. They asked me to keep an eye out, but I never saw anything.

Then there was the place where I fell asleep in my car, every night, waking up just in time to keep from running into the parked cars...

There were nice custys who would hang my $ on the door - in a bag of home-made cookies. God bless them!
                          I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                          - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post

There were nice custys who would hang my $ on the door - in a bag of home-made cookies. God bless them!
                            I had that! The Jimm'ny Christmas people leave requests with chocolate.
                            -Unknown Author

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
                              Michael Jai White as Black Dynamite

Ok..the Chili Incident had me cracking up! There has to be a story behind that!
                              Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Working...
                              X