This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth crazylegs View Post
    Up until I left the police 9 months ago the police ran the alcohol test purchases and trading standards ran the tobacco test purchases in my part of the world, hence my reply.
    it probably varies from place-to-place within the UK, since TSOs are employed by the local council

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
      I had a horrible moment when I was working at the supermarket. I couldn't quite bring myself to ID a colleague who did look 20ish - the only thing I could rely on was that I'd seen her selling alcohol to customers without shouting out to a colleague for the ID (the way most places around here allow 17 and younger to do tills).

I still wonder though. Luckily I never got picked up on it... Stupid in retrospect - I should have just ID'd her.
      Pfff. I I.D.'d a co-worker once. From then on people would poke fun at me about it. In a friendly way, of course.
      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

If I owned a bay or liquor store I'd have my own "stings" set up. Fail on due dillegence, you're fired. Catch one of my stingers, big bonus.

Secondly, I thought Brittish laws had some old timey left over that allowed parents to buy for children if they were present. Maybe the QI elves were wrong.

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
          Secondly, I thought Brittish laws had some old timey left over that allowed parents to buy for children if they were present. Maybe the QI elves were wrong.
          I believe for careful use at home it is allowed but not in public licensed premises.
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Wow, CRML, you just can't win. You're either supposed to be a customer's bestest best friend, or you have to be super professional.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I just got hired serving at a waterpark. (Alcohol and swimming and water slides = nice mix.)

I am willing to bet I'm going to get a lot of idiots going, "but I'm in swimwear!!! you can't expect me to carry my card/money!!!"

(boss warned me)

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                "but I'm in swimwear!!! you can't expect me to carry my card/money!!!"
                If you expect me to serve you boozeahol, I expect you to carry proper ID for that purpose, just like every other place on the planet that serves the stuff...

Only amusement/water-park friendly solution to that I can think of is to have the ticket-takers require ID, and give anyone who is of legal age a different-colored wristband from what the younger people get. Of course, this only works if they don't swap wristbands, and we know teenagers who want booze would never stoop to dishonesty like that, just to get their fix...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
                  I just got hired serving at a waterpark. (Alcohol and swimming and water slides = nice mix.)

I am willing to bet I'm going to get a lot of idiots going, "but I'm in swimwear!!! you can't expect me to carry my card/money!!!"

(boss warned me)
                  It is time for a whole new safety campaign. Here are a few slogans to get you started.

Don't drink and swim.

If you drink and swim, you'll sink.

Alcohol and water slides don't mix.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                    Pfff. I I.D.'d a co-worker once. From then on people would poke fun at me about it. In a friendly way, of course.
                    I had a bunch of stockers at my last retail job get on my case for carding one of them for cigarettes. Their excuse was "you have to be 18 at least to work here!" Yeah, except that at the last Walmart I worked at, we had 16- and 17-year-olds working there too, so I don't believe that. "But come on, you know me!" Actually, no I don't. I just started here a month ago, and you're on a different shift. We've seen each other maybe twice in the past month, and you never speak to me. So no, I don't know you. Pony up the ID or forget the cigarettes.

If I ever run a place that sells age-restricted goods, I'm establishing a "card everyone, no exceptions" rule myself. Not that I'm ever going to run such an establisment, but the point still stands. No ID, no goods, end of story.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I ID'd a girl I knew from the pizza place when she attempted to buy cigarettes at the gas station I was working at (doing the 2 jobs thing at the time).

now at my pizza place you can work the phones at 16, and be a server at 18 (the legal age in my state to SELL and only sell beer). now this girl was a little weird and I KNEW for a fact that she was still in HS while being a phone CSR. she left the pizza place (circumstances were just strange but that is another tail) shortly after starting..

Now I knew she was still in HS because when I used to work the lunch shift I delivered to the HS (either for a teacher or student) and I saw her come through the office. she recognised me and greeted me while she was in school.

shortly after that encounter she came in my gas station and wanted cigarettes. I asked for ID. she flipped out on me basically saying that I knew her and I KNEW she was old enough. NOPE I know you are still in HS and I am NOT taking any chances with her being a county sting.

she huffed out of the store and never returned
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
                        Once someone is 16 they're allowed to have beer, wine or cider (but not spirits) in a restaurant or part of a pub set aside for serving food, as long as they are having a meal as well. They can only do this if they have someone over 18 with them, who must buy the alcohol for them.

As far as a shop goes, we can't sell alcohol to anyone we believe to be under age, or to anyone who we believe is buying it for someone under age. Doesn't matter if they're the parents or not. If the parent comes to the counter with a bottle of wine, and says nothing, then what they do with it at home is their business. But the moment we know it's for a minor, it becomes our concern and we can't sell it to them.
                        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

Only amusement/water-park friendly solution to that I can think of is to have the ticket-takers require ID, and give anyone who is of legal age a different-colored wristband from what the younger people get. Of course, this only works if they don't swap wristbands, and we know teenagers who want booze would never stoop to dishonesty like that, just to get their fix...
                          Those paper wristbands with the sticky bit on the end. They are a bitch to get off and then put on again (even when wet and I know because I swim with said wristband on: the wristbands are for those who pay to use the spa and sauna). Even on a waterslide, they do not end up too damaged. So therefore, you can tell if the wristband is tampered with.

I know all this because the swim complex I use has waterslides AND a spa/sauna, so they use the wristbands to know who paid for the spa/sauna.
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I had a co-worker that I knew specifically to be under age, and he tried to ask me once if he came through SCO, would I let him buy alcohol. I laughed at him and said no, I'm not risking my job so you can illegally buy alcohol. I then proceeded to tell a couple of the other cashiers working so he wouldn't harass them too.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                              Once someone is 16 they're allowed to have beer, wine or cider (but not spirits) in a restaurant or part of a pub set aside for serving food, as long as they are having a meal as well. They can only do this if they have someone over 18 with them, who must buy the alcohol for them.
                              That is true. However most pubs have a policy saying that they do not allow this. Too many idiot parents would take advantage.

Comment

It's kinda sad, when you're young and work at a gas station, the amount of people who know you/remember you from school, who assume you'll let them buy beer or smokes if they aren't of age.
                                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                                X