This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round and round and round....

Thank goodness this guy didn't actually come into the store, dealing with him over the phone was painful enough. But maybe if he HAD come in, he'd have been too stunned by all the bright shiny things to keep his end of the 'conversation' up for very long.

*phone rings*
    Me: Thank you for calling *store that sells really cool things*, this is Me, how can I help you?
    caller: Do you have a catalog of everything you have?
    Me: I'm sorry, but we don't have one. Our stock changes too quickly for us to maintain an accurate listing.
    caller: Why don't you have one? You should have one. I want one.
    Me: I understand, sir, but as I said, our stock changes on a day to day basis. We have over 1600 different items. (this is literal, and accurate. we do indeed keep over 1600 different products on the shelves, just not always the same 1600.)
    caller: I want catalog, do you have a catalog?

This went round almost verbatim for 15 minutes, with me occasionly suggesting the caller come into the store to see our selection as an alternate reply for why we didn't have a catalog. GAH!
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

I get that as well, but its usually after I've told a customer that while item X comes in colors a, b, c, d, and e, we ONLY have a and b in the store, and c and d are catelog only. PITA, yes, but I don't make the policies. Yet that doesn't stop them for asking me over and over if we have the item in color c in the store.

Comment

Should have said you have an interactive catalog with live help, called your store, lol

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
        Should have said you have an interactive catalog with live help, called your store, lol
        No, because the call will go something like this: "Tell me everything you have in stock. I can wait."
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

"I want a catalog."
          "We don't have one."
          "But I want one."
          "We don't have one."
          "But I want one."
          "We don't have one.

Repeat as necessary.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
            No, because the call will go something like this: "Tell me everything you have in stock. I can wait."

^ This. I have so many people that do that. They want to know even the smallest detail. And it's a card store with gifts! Get off your butt and come in if you want to know if the 99c st patty card has a photo/cartoon dog and if it's sitting or not.

Comment

Why did it last 15 minutes? After the third saying of, "No. We don't have a catalog", and him asking again, I would have asked, "are there any questions you have?". if the guy asked one more time, it's time to hang up. Why keep other people waiting?

Comment

Most business will fire you if you do that *shrugs* Does it make sense? Nope, but that is the way it works. Some people have no choice, but to bite their lip..be as nice as possible..and sit and answer the same question a billion times.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                  Why did it last 15 minutes? After the third saying of, "No. We don't have a catalog", and him asking again, I would have asked, "are there any questions you have?". if the guy asked one more time, it's time to hang up. Why keep other people waiting?
                  What Mytical said. Not allowed to just end a phone call as long as the 'customer' still wants to talk. Even if said 'customer' is wasting my valuable time and keeping other actual customers waiting. Even if it's the same short 'conversation' repeated ad nauseum because I'm not giving an answer the caller likes.

PastryGal, I like that. I might try that next time a call like this happens.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    "I want a catalog."
                    "We don't have one."
                    "But I want one."
                    "We STILL don't have one!"
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                      What Mytical said. Not allowed to just end a phone call as long as the 'customer' still wants to talk. Even if said 'customer' is wasting my valuable time and keeping other actual customers waiting. Even if it's the same short 'conversation' repeated ad nauseum because I'm not giving an answer the caller likes.

PastryGal, I like that. I might try that next time a call like this happens.
                      "Please hold." *puts on hold, activates intercom* "Manager, phone call on line two. Manager, line two please."

>.>

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        "I want a catalog."
                        "We don't have one."
                        "But I want one."
                        Our cats are made of catmeat, not logs.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Come on now. Cats are made of sugar and spice, and they love to catch mice . . .
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                            Come on now. Cats are made of sugar and spice, and they love to catch mice . . .
                            I thought they were made up of dragonflies and katydids, but mostly chewed-up little kids?
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

One of my joyful childhood pastimes rendered obsolete by the cruel march of technology was the annual arrival of the JC Penny winter catalog, with all the Xmas toys/loot.

But dude, even I know that 1985 is gone for good and ain't coming back, get with the program
                              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X