X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Cornbread Caper

Alternate title: The Macaroni Masquerade

The first part of this takes place at my second stint as a chicken slinger. This restaurant has biscuits AND cornbread, so we were required to ask if people wanted either or a mix of the two depending on how many bread items they would normally get with a meal. (12pc meal = 6 biscuits or cornbread, or half of each.) As it happens, sometimes things get mixed up and the order is made wrong. No biggie, we take your name down in the book and what date it is, then you come back in and get your stuff within a reasonable time period. But my favorite...

Every two weeks the same woman would call up and tell us that we forgot her cornbread with the meal, and complain. We would do what we could, and put her name in the book. All according to LAST protocol. (Listen, Apologize, Satisfy, Thank) She would invariably send someone to pick up her cornbread a week later, usually the same guy every time. It got to the point where we knew them both on sight.

Since I was not on good terms with management at that store, I didn't bother fighting the power and calling her on her bull. I wish I had, it's nice to be vindicated.

Second story is more amusing...

When I worked at the restaurant in Kentucky, we sold a variety of sides including green beans, potato wedges, macaroni.

Every Sunday, this extremely identifiable middle-aged lady (her voice! my God, her voice!) would come in and order macaroni and leave. She was memorable for her consistent orders (12pc meal, all three sides macaroni, biscuits) and her voice was stereotypical Southern Black American. Strangely, she was the only African American customer we had with an accent like that.

Fifteen minutes after she left we would get a call from her complaining we forgot her macaroni (1 or two pints, never all three forgottten). Okay, we'll fix it. She sends a family member down to pick it up. This happened every Sunday for three months until I finally started putting her order together myself and repeating the order back, pointing out every single item in the bag and getting verbal confirmation that it was indeed correct.

But still she called, and our managers were either too spineless or couldn't override the store owner's orders to refute her; I never found out. The final straw was one Sunday I had had no other customers since she came in, and 15 minutes after she left she calls.

SC: "Yeah, I was just in there and y'all forgot my macaroni!"
    Me: "What was your order, and what got left out?"
    SC: "I bought a 12pc meal, and y'all left out one of my macaronis!"

...Wait, I know this woman.

Me: "Ma'am, I remember your order. You came in fifteen minutes ago, and you got 3 pints of macaroni with your meal. I packaged it myself, and I do remember asking you if your order was correct, even pointed out all three pints in the bag for you. You've been calling us like this for a while now, and the last couple of times I, personally, was responsible for your order going out."
    SC: "..."

She didn't even say anything, she just hung up on me. After that, she never called in on a Sunday ever again!

That must've been some damn good macaroni if she kept swindling you out of extra portions. Same with the biscuits and cornbread (but, then, it's cornbread, so of course it's damn good. *drool*)
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Customers will keep scamming until the company stops letting them. Good show stopping macaroni woman.

Comment

Since I was not on good terms with management at that store, I didn't bother fighting the power and calling her on her bull. I wish I had, it's nice to be vindicated.
        you'd think they'd just ask her to verify it was right before leaving, just to be sure.
        or fuck it just give her 2x from the start right? she's going to get it anyway

Me: "Ma'am, I remember your order. You came in fifteen minutes ago, and you got 3 pints of macaroni with your meal. I packaged it myself, and I do remember asking you if your order was correct, even pointed out all three pints in the bag for you. You've been calling us like this for a while now, and the last couple of times I, personally, was responsible for your order going out."
        exactly.

Comment

That place's bisuits are simply orgasmic.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
            That must've been some damn good macaroni if she kept swindling you out of extra portions. Same with the biscuits and cornbread (but, then, it's cornbread, so of course it's damn good. *drool*)
            It was awesome macaroni. Not my favorite, but it was good. I'm more of a green bean gal. And people come from miles around to buy biscuits/cornbread at that store, so naturally it's a big seller.

Quoth PepperElf
            you'd think they'd just ask her to verify it was right before leaving, just to be sure.
            or fuck it just give her 2x from the start right? she's going to get it anyway
            I wish I could figure out why managers have the memory of an amnesiac puppy. I mentioned the cornbread woman to the managers several times but they never seemed to put it together that she was scamming us. Given that we had about 5-6 customers a week whose orders were wrong or were scamming, I found it pretty easy to remember one person repeatedly doing it.

Comment

Too bad you can't have a little extra receipt printed up, and require known scammers to initial that everything is in their order before leaving, then file the receipt.

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                That place's bisuits are simply orgasmic.
                DOG YES!!! We have one near the house and we'll stop there every so often.

As for cornbread, I can make some that will have your tongue beating your brains for more. It never lasts long here.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The biscuits at Red Lobster also give me the mouth orgies.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                    HUSH!!! You're making me hungry again and I just had dinner a short while ago and just snacked on some Cheetos.

But you're right: those cheese biscuits are SO good you could take a batch of those, a salad and make a meal out of that. You'd be doing good later to have room for the seafood.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I know, that's probably why the last time I was there, I had to take a whole basket of those biscuits and half of my shrimp home for later.

They're still decently good in the microwave a few hours later.

Forgive me speaking in desirable tongues. I know I've had a lazy day myself and have been stuffing my face with takeout Chinese. There's always tomorrow to go to the gym. And you always burn calories cleaning the floor, right?

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                        if you ever come to madison, I will have to take you to a local Italian place-the bread is infused with crack, I swear it!.....well ok not crack, but it has a mix of salt and sugar baked into a crunchy crust on the top-OMG! Tonguegasm
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Better than the breadsticks at Olive Garden?

Kid you not, took the bf there for the first, second, third time.....and one day, he actually asked me if they let you just call in to-go orders for breadsticks.

Comment

That is the best macaroni and cheese I have EVER had. And I don't like mac & cheese.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Dang it now I don't know where to go for my B-day this weekend.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X