X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth figgyx View Post
    When I decline to rent them a room she states "No wonder you are so empty."

Arggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Ah, yes, of course you're empty! Everyone pays with cash, and everyone's credit cards are always declined.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      I once caused a need to redecorate a room....

I was a child (four or five), I was supposed to be asleep in the 'childrens' room at my grandmother's house, and I'd found a crayon.

Apparently the walls were decorated in child-art to as high as I could reach.
      My oldest boy did that one time... he woke up in the wee hours of the morning and took a black sharpie marker to the hallway and all the bedroom doors... and it's still there. We painted over the drywall, but the doors weren't painted.

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
        Dakhur - all hotels require proof of identification before checkin. You simply can't just occupy a room unless you can prove who you are. Cash paying guests especially need to give drivers license.
        This is a case of different rules in different countries again.

I'm in Perth, Western Australia. I verified 6 hotels within a 10km radius that I can walk into, ask for a room, put down cash, sign in, and that's it. At check-out, all I have to do is hand the keys back and say thank you.

This is the norm wherever I've stayed for the last 20-odd years, which is why I'm so confused about the whole credit card issue. I've never met it personally.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          I once caused a need to redecorate a room....

I was a child (four or five), I was supposed to be asleep in the 'childrens' room at my grandmother's house, and I'd found a crayon.

Apparently the walls were decorated in child-art to as high as I could reach.
          Heh. When I did that, my mom made me scrub it. And I called her and Egyptian because she was making me slave.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Yeah, being a previous hotel desk clerk where our hotel required a credit card, I understand how you feel. A lot of people don't understand the concept. It isn't about "having information" it's about having accountability if the room is trashed, etc...There are lots of places that don't require a card, however, I have found most of these places are pretty dumpy. I don't think it's a coincidence. Cash paying customer were usually the most trashy and disruptive. Of course that's not always the case, but for the most part.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
              This is a case of different rules in different countries again.

I'm in Perth, Western Australia. I verified 6 hotels within a 10km radius that I can walk into, ask for a room, put down cash, sign in, and that's it. At check-out, all I have to do is hand the keys back and say thank you.

This is the norm wherever I've stayed for the last 20-odd years, which is why I'm so confused about the whole credit card issue. I've never met it personally.
              How do they track you down if someone trashes the room, steals something, brings in animals when they aren't allowed, etc?

Comment

Quoth lvceline View Post
                How do they track you down if someone trashes the room, steals something, brings in animals when they aren't allowed, etc?
                Short answer: they don't.

My chain requires ID, but no CC. So we can ban people from staying again, but we can't go after them for money unless they do so much damage it's worth taking them to court.

If they don't even require ID, then they likely don't even have a ban list.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I have a secure credit card. My credit balance is $200 unless I add more to the account.
                  How would a hotel manage that if I did $500 in damage? I have always wondered that....

Comment

I have to say, I believe I was pretty convincing, or just lucky, when I took the "me day" back in March. Got a hot tub room room at the Drury for $140 without a credit card, though she did ask if I had one. I had a mastercard branded for my health flex account that she ran for ID but there was no way if I had caused any damage it would have covered it. I did make damn sure to not tear anything up though. Of course, I spent about six hours in that bathtub (I think that tub was bigger than my entire bathroom at home!) and the rest of the time munching pizza in the bed watching old movies. Now I want another "me day"

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
                      Of course, I spent about six hours in that bathtub (I think that tub was bigger than my entire bathroom at home!) and the rest of the time munching pizza in the bed watching old movies. Now I want another "me day"
                      That sounds wonderful.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth lvceline View Post
                        EFTPOS is pretty wide spread here - even Eagle Boys pizza delivery drivers carry a wireless card reader. So most people would use their cards anyway, I suspect. That would mean they could be tracked if there was a problem.I'm just one of those strange people who prefers using cash.

Comment

Quoth VenomX View Post
                          I have a secure credit card. My credit balance is $200 unless I add more to the account.
                          How would a hotel manage that if I did $500 in damage? I have always wondered that....
                          At my previous hotel we would have pre authorised the CC (£50 per night of the stay) and then charged whatever we could back to the card - that's if the GM would let us, it probably wouldn't have happened. Saves a complaint to HQ and so on.

When I've had non-arrivals (and according to the T&C's I can charge) I'd always try the full amount but towards the end I'd go as low trying to charge 30% of the rate. My managers haven't minded if I couldn't get the full amount, as long as I had something to show for it.
                          "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

I attend a convention near where I live and every year that is the biggest complaint from other convention attendees. Many of them don't realize that all of the hotels affiliated with the convention require a credit card

Comment

Working...
                            X