X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I'm a "Little Sneak"

Reimbursement

A man's card would not go through. The error message said "General Error" and the transaction failed. This happened several times and the man became increasingly irate, as is usual.

SC: Did anything print?
    Me: No sir, nothing prints unless the transaction has gone through.
    SC: Well then here's a 20 and if this shows up later on my statement you guys [at this point he points a finger right at me, RUUUUUUDE] will be reimbursing me.
    Me: ...okay?

I think he turned around all huffy because he said it as if it was supposed to be scary and I don't really give two handles of Jack whether or not it shows up on his statement one or a thousand times because "us guys" won't be reimbursing him. The company will--and his complaint will have to go through them, not us, if he wants anything done about it.

Change

A man who does not speak English very well came up to my register and yelled.

SC: GIVE ME CHANGE.
    Me: *looks at pumps to see if there is any change to give out, there isn't*
    SC: GIVE ME CHANGE!
    Me: Uh, for what, sir?

He then waves me off like I'm stupid and leaves. He wasn't holding out his hand or any type of bill to get change for so I was like...wuuuut. He came back later and did the same thing. This time I asked "For what?" and he held out a quarter. When I asked him how he would like it (since there are several ways) he said like I was the dumbest person ever: "Two dimes and a nickel!"

Next time you get 25 pennies and you deal with it.

Troublemakers

Everyone has those SCs who want nothing more than to cause trouble. This is one of those.

When I come up to my register I am not on the register that is available for lottery so I say something like, "I can help you if you're not buying lottery tickets." A man comes up after I say that and he buys his stuff and gets out of line. After the entire line dies down he comes up to MY register and proclaims, "I AM getting lottery." It was the smugness of his resolve that really pinched me a little and I told him rather coldly,

"Then you can go over to that register."

He once came up and RAILED me (very harshly) because he had told me "exactly how he wanted his tickets" but he had used vague language that could have meant one thing or another and I had guessed wrong (who asks questions when you're going to be told you're stupid for not understanding the first time?). He got even more mad when I took the mistake tickets away and cancelled them (many of them actually keep the ones they yell at us over as if they HAVE to buy them, as if we're FORCING THEM) and just ignored him for the rest of the transaction. He even asked me a question and I didn't even look at him. I haven't seen him since but no matter. He didn't buy anything but lottery and thus was no use to the company. They wouldn't be sad he was gone.

Is this real life?

I pulled away everything blocking my register and then pulled away the signs that clearly mean a register is closed. I looked at the man coming up to it expectantly and held out my hand for the merchandise he was about to purchase. As he put it in my hand and I rang everything up he asked:

"Is this a line?"

........no. I've tricked you. Go to the back.

Irksome.

An elderly man came up to my register, the old farmer type with the farmer hat and the plaid shirts. He purchased something and the change comes out of the change machine (I don't have to count it out, it just pops out). When it does come, most of it comes out but a few pennies and a dime got stuck in the thin part of the chute. I didn't notice it until he looked down into his hand puzzled at the change there. So I examined the machine and found the change and poked it to loosen it. What he said next left me absolutely fuming.

SC: Oh you little sneak, if I hadn't noticed that you were just gonna take it for yourself weren't you?
    Me: What? No.
    SC: Oh I know, you were just gonna put that in your pocket when I left. You knew it was there and you were hoping I wasn't going to notice.
    Me: No I didn't. And if you had left it would have gone to charity. (I pointed at the overflowing charity box that I'd never seen a single customer drop change into, it has ALL been US.)
    SC: Oh no, you're all like that, you would have put that right in your pocket. (at this point he's leaving and I'm just standing there like a stick in the mud completely bowled over by his absolutely disgusting display of paranoia.)

Totally still irked. What an old d-bag.

I can't say I've ever had someone ask for change for a quarter, but aside from that I know exactly how you feel.

Quoth Gaki View Post
    He once came up and RAILED me (very harshly) because he had told me "exactly how he wanted his tickets" but he had used vague language that could have meant one thing or another and I had guessed wrong
    This is why, unless they want straight quick picks, we ask customers to fill out a lottery slip. That way, all we have to do is run it through the machine and if it is wrong, they can't blame it on us.

Comment

Quoth CarcinogenCrunchies View Post
      This is why, unless they want straight quick picks, we ask customers to fill out a lottery slip. That way, all we have to do is run it through the machine and if it is wrong, they can't blame it on us.
      They deliberately fill it out wrong so we can't put it through and they have to tell us what they wanted. That or they scream at us because "other stores just do what they wanted." Most of them pretend like they've never even seen those slips before and refuse to even look at them and then scream at us for being difficult.

It's no wonder that a lot of c-store chains are actually doing away with their lottery machines. They make 0 money for the company (we actually lose money doing it) and most of the lottery customers buy NOTHING ELSE unlike the gas or cigarette customers who will come in for their coffee and other snacks. If it doesn't get them in the store to buy the things that make us money, there's no reason to have it.

I'm hoping that one day it'll get replaced by one of those really nice lottery vending machines that are completely automated and force you to fill out a slip. If I wander over to one of them I'll take a picture and show you guys. They're really really neato.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
        SC: Oh you little sneak, if I hadn't noticed that you were just gonna take it for yourself weren't you?
        Oh no !! You caught me in my diabolical plan to steal 13 cents from you. Why, if I had just been able to do it to 10 people today I'd have had a whole $1.30 !!

Well, so much for that candy apple red Ferrari I had my eye on.......
        Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

I have only seen the machines that dispense instant lottery tickets, not for regular games. That sounds like a great idea!

Quoth Gaki View Post
          They deliberately fill it out wrong so we can't put it through and they have to tell us what they wanted. That or they scream at us because "other stores just do what they wanted." Most of them pretend like they've never even seen those slips before and refuse to even look at them and then scream at us for being difficult.
          I'm fortunate to have a boss that doesn't put up with a lot of crap, so people like that tend not to get very far. If I have time, I will punch in a customer's numbers or help them with the playslip. Time is another reason we ask for the slips, though - often, there is only one cashier on duty. I don't have time to be over there entering numbers from a fortune cookie slip for a $1 lottery ticket when there are people lined up waiting to pay for $50 in gas and an assortment of snacks and smokes.

Comment

I, like CC there, have also only seen the instant ticket, and pull-tab ticket, dispensers. The SCs that want you to read their minds about their instant tickets make me SO mad. They have no idea that, hey, most of those tickets can't be cancelled. With my SCs, it's usually because I printed two plays on one ticket, when they wanted (but didn't tell me they wanted) two tickets with one play each. Yes, people are picky/superstitious like that.
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Those guys are all a bunch of douchewaffles.
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                With my SCs, it's usually because I printed two plays on one ticket, when they wanted (but didn't tell me they wanted) two tickets with one play each. Yes, people are picky/superstitious like that.
                Boy, are they ever! People are always asking what number a particular scratch ticket is on. Once I misunderstood how many of a certain ticket a customer wanted, so I started to pull them out and asked again. She said she wanted all the ones I had touched.
                Last edited by CarcinogenCrunchies; 05-31-2012, 05:50 AM. Reason: Botched quote

Comment

Quoth CarcinogenCrunchies View Post
                  Boy, are they ever! People are always asking what number a particular scratch ticket is on. Once I misunderstood how many of a certain ticket a customer wanted, so I started to pull them out and asked again. She said she wanted all the ones I had touched.

"Well, since I'm the one who put them in the case, I touched all of them." See if she wants to buy the whole roll .

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    SC: Oh no, you're all like that, you would have put that right in your pocket. (at this point he's leaving and I'm just standing there like a stick in the mud completely bowled over by his absolutely disgusting display of paranoia.)
                    Anyone want to bet that the dime is going straight back under his mattress, with al the rest of his money?
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Nope. He's taking it straight back to the bank, so he can get two chances to abuse someone over the same money.
                      The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Oh gosh, those farmers. LoL.

Hate to stereotype, but it was always a certain group of......men that would show up at the gas station that would track shit (literally) and grass and whatever else all over my freshly cleaned floor, stunk to high heaven of outdoor nastiness, and would always talk like the characters on Squidbillies.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post
                          Nope. He's taking it straight back to the bank, so he can get two chances to abuse someone over the same money.
                          Or he was going to try to buy something with it.

"Look here, sonny, a newspaper used to cost a dime! And I won't pay any more than that! That's what they cost in 1928 and that's what I'm paying!!"
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                            With my SCs, it's usually because I printed two plays on one ticket, when they wanted (but didn't tell me they wanted) two tickets with one play each. Yes, people are picky/superstitious like that.
                            Maybe they were buying a ticket for themselves and another for a friend (wouldn't really work with instants), where 2 plays on the same ticket wouldn't be divisible. I could also understand it if it were an issue of 1 set of numbers for 2 draws vs. 2 sets of numbers for a single draw

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            Or he was going to try to buy something with it.

"Look here, sonny, a newspaper used to cost a dime! And I won't pay any more than that! That's what they cost in 1928 and that's what I'm paying!!"
                            Proper answer in that case: "Who do you work for? I need to contact them and have your wages handled in the same manner."
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yes, Wolfie, you're right. Some of them are that simple to explain. Sadly, though, in my experience (and I have ten years it, with the same C-Store chain), it's the ones that are doing it because they're picky/superstitious that throw the biggest fits.
                              blas...agh...the joy of living in a farmng state...thanks for reminding me. That hasn't really happened yet since I transferred to the smaller store, thankfully!
                              CarcinogenCrunshies & dbuzman...I can believe that. Also, that line would really work at the C-Store for me, since now that I'm management I have access to the books of tickets to put them up!
                              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                              X