X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
    and hasanpfeffer ....

rabbit is tasty
    Though you will die of malnutrition if it's the only thing you eat.

(random factoid from my grandpa (1890-1980), who said that it was possible to survive as a pure carnivore on most beasties.)
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      Though you will die of malnutrition if it's the only thing you eat.

(random factoid from my grandpa (1890-1980), who said that it was possible to survive as a pure carnivore on most beasties.)
      It is because they are incredibly low fat - rabbit starvation. It is the problem with going paleo and trying to do the low fat bullcrap. There is an issue with extreme diets - infants and small children have *very* different nutritional requirements due to their rapid growth. There were instances of problems with both extremely low sodium and extremely low fat diets back in the 80s.

Bunny is actually a wonderful meat, very neutral like chicken and turkey, and can be used in the same recipes. They are very easy to raise, happy to eat veggie scraps in addition to their regular diet. Very friendly if hand raised will act like cats. They can also be litter box trained.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

A family friend's Christmas present to us one year was a donation to a charity that provides livestock animals to people in poor countries. I was looking through their brochure about the types of livestock they provide all over the world, and some of the were quite surprising (apparently, we gave someone a water buffalo). One of the animals they provided was rabbits, because they don't need much space and breed quickly, and therefore are good food animals to raise in mountainous regions.
        Random Doctor Who quote:
        "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
        I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

The only real theft story I have is from when I worked for a bank in the IT department. As it turned out, it was one of the temps we'd hired who was doing the thieving. This is a bit of story, so get comfy:

When the guy started, he was quite the cocky one. That kind of person who thinks he's hot shit and knows everything. Despite that, he /did/ know his stuff, and actually proved useful. Until things started disappearing, that is. At first it was small things. Peripherals and such, and then a laptop hard drive that was laying on my cubicle desk. (I freaked on that one... first time anything had been stolen that was in my possession.)

During all of this I went on a week's vacation, and as it turned out, this ruled me out as a suspect, because Mr. Temp Thief kept right on swiping, proving I wasn't doing it. (Although if he was smart, he'd have stopped while I was gone... thankfully he didn't!) Upon returning from my vacation, I find out the bank's security department, which was headed by and staffed with retired local police officers and county sheriffs, had been taking everyone in the department in for interviews about the thefts. They didn't bother with me, due to the aforementioned reason.

Things kept disappearing. We had ordered in a bunch of small form factor PCs to be used on the teller lines, and when they were unsealed, they didn't power on. Come to find out, someone had opened up about a dozen of them and removed the processors and memory... but left the machines. Afterwards they had carefully resealed the boxes. Next, it was entire pieces of equipment. Whole computers and network switches began to disappear. Mr. Temp Thief was getting bolder by the day.

Through all of this, no one suspected Mr. Temp Thief. He had been forging his time sheet to make it look like he was arriving and departing on time, but as was discovered later, he was in fact staying much later. In fact, he was even forging one of the boss' signatures, but no one caught it because they assumed one of the others had signed it. How he was finally caught: gotcha cam. No one noticed the new 'smoke detector' that had appeared in the drop ceiling above our cubicle area, including Mr. Temp Thief. When the footage was reviewed, they had captured him carrying out /armfuls/ of stuff from the storage areas and work benches, scouring cubicles looking for anything he could lift. All in all, over the entire time he'd been swiping, he snagged $40,000 worth of equipment.

After that, well, the local detectives were called, he was taken into a room, given a pen and paper and told "Start writing, son, we have you on film." And thus Mr. Temp Thief's reign of terror was brought to an end.

The aftermath is what really makes the story. Turns out he had a bunch of the stuff at home in his room (he lived with his parents.) On top of that, he had been selling the equipment to local businesses. One small business he had set up an entire network with our stolen computers and network switches. It took nearly 2 box trucks to bring all of the gear back to the bank.

When asked why he did it? "Because I could."

And thus ends the story of Mr. Temp Thief.
          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
            We had ordered in a bunch of small form factor PCs to be used on the teller lines, and when they were unsealed, they didn't power on. Come to find out, someone had opened up about a dozen of them and removed the processors and memory... but left the machines. Afterwards they had carefully resealed the boxes.
            In my first career (computers), we had one machine that didn't work when powered on. Turns out someone had stolen the memory out of it. This is a bit of a MiM issue, but when my manager was filling out a requisition for more memory, he was a bit miffed at my insistence that he change the wording. His wording? "Replacement for memory reported as stolen by $coworker". My wording? "Replacement for memory reported by $coworker as stolen". I'm sure you can see the difference.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

2 years ago at my store, I saw some woman customer running like hell out of the doors and two security guards hot on her heels. They had to tackle her to the ground and her things went flying everywhere, including her purse. Where did this happen? Only two inches in front of me! What was her crime? Stealing PHOTO ALBUMS. 35 dollars worth!

This dumb moron woman knew she was caught and tries to come up with some lie by claiming she paid for them. The head of security said, "That's a lie. I saw you put those albums in your handbag and then try to leave the store." Then she says, "Uh...I intended to pay for them!" And she starts to cry and whine and sob, "Boo-hoo-hoo!" as if crying her way out of it would actually make her get away scot-free.
              I began picking up the fallen items and the woman's purse. She sees me and starts screaming, "Gimme my purse and handbag! I want my purse and handbag NOW!" I ignored her and gave the purse and the handbag to one of the security guards instead. The security guards handed me the stolen merchandise and told me to go get the manager over here and to give him the stolen stuff. So I found an assistant manager that was available and the police were already on their way to arrest the thief.

Who would be stupid enough to steal PHOTO ALBUMS??? This woman went to jail for a week and all because she wanted to steal PHOTO ALBUMS in order to store her "precious" memories. I hope it was worth it for her, and the huge fine she got slapped with.

Comment

And now she has more "precious memories" to put in them like her mug shots. How sweet?
                "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                  First I want to apologize..thanks to the title .. had visions of somebody coming up with a bunch of semi's putting chains around the store, and trying to make off with the whole store...

"Haw haw! I'm taking this baby to Mexico!"

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                    And now she has more "precious memories" to put in them like her mug shots. How sweet?
                    And here's me at the booking desk at the precinct.... Oh, and this one is of me at the arraignment with some guy named "Skull", he was there for "smuggling crank" whatever that means.....

Oh, and here we all are in the paddy wagon......
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      Very friendly if hand raised will act like cats. They can also be litter box trained.
                      Sorry, may not be totally rational, but for some reason I just can't entertain the thought of eating something that when alive, I trained to use the litter box

Not judging anyonw who does, but I couldn't even ever eat lamb after living next door to someone who raised rare breed sheep, and helping hand-raise a couple of orphaned lambs.

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                      X