This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never had to wait this long

A former employee came in the other day to visit and I was reminded of this story because she was the target of this horrible woman's wrath.

One friday night we were short handed from a person calling in sick and another being fired for theft. Friday nights are the busiest time of the week in the pizza world, and this night was no exception. This being the case, our wait times were on the order of 45 minutes for in store and take out orders, and even longer for delivery. Cue the Raging Bitch.
    RB calls to place an order. I warn her in advance what the wait time is and she flies off the handle.

Me: Just to let you know, we are currently at a 45 minute wait for take out.
    RB: WHAT!!! THAT'S UNACCEPATABLE!! I'VE BEEN ORDERING FROM YOU FOR YEARS AND I'VE NEVER HAD TO WAIT THAT LONG!! BLARGLEBLARGELBLARGLE.
    Me: I'm sorry ma'am, we are very short handed tonight, so that is how long it will take for us to make a pizza for you.
    RB: YOU GUYS ARE JUST BEING LAZY, I'M GOING TO JUST COME IN AND ORDER (hangs up)

I just shrugged it off and went back to making pizza for our sane customers, but about half an hour later my register person L comes to get me, nearly in tears, saying this lady wants a refund. I go up to do the refund and this "lady" is already cussing at me from 10 feet away.

RB: THIS IS RIDICULOUS!! YOU PEOPLE ARE F***ING INCOMPETENT!!! BLARGLEBLARGLEBLARGLE. I CALLED EARLIER AND GOT THIS SAME BULLS**T, I'VE NEVER HAD TO WAIT THIS LONG IN ALL THE YEARS I'VE BEEN COMING HERE.
    Methinking: so what made you think the wait would be different from ordering over the phone.) I'm sorry ma'am, but we are short handed tonight so it is taking longer that usual to get orders out.
    RB: YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST F***ING LAZY, I'VE NEVER SEEN WORKERS MOVE SO SLOW!!
    Mejust trying to finish the refund and get her out of my store)...

About this time an awesome customer who is patiently waiting for his food steps in to the conversation.

AC: Bitch, shut the F*** up, I've been listening to you scream at that poor girl for the last 10 minutes. There's a line out the F***ing door and they're running like crazy to get our food made. The only thing you're doing is holding up everyone else.

At this point AC and RB just start screaming at each other while i finish up the refund. At this point I hand RB her money and tell her to get out and never come back, She's banned. She gets all huffy and finally leaves after more profanity directed at AC.

About 20 minutes later i get a call for a manager. I pick up the phone and as soon as I identify myself, I get a stream of profanity from a woman who said I treated her mother horribly. I told her that neither she nor her mother was ever allowed in our store again and hung up.

I bet your staff love you! What do you want to be that neither RB nor her daughter have ever held a job, much less one in which they had to deal with the public?

Oh, and kudos to AC as well! He/she didn't manage to shut RB up but at least RB is now aware that other customers may not necessarily sit meekly by while she goes all EW on the hapless staff.

Comment

Gee I wonder where the daughter got it from???

Good for you, I think all people who pull that kind of crap should be banned!
      "The old saying "The customer is always right" is Bull S*it, but you should always treat the customer with respect."~ Professor of Management at UTA

Comment

Holy crap, did the Awesome Manager With A Spine breeding program finally pay dividends?! We're getting so many tales of them lately!
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Glad you banned them for that kind of crap.

And a 45 min wait? I don't know where you are, but around here that's not a half bad wait time for a pizza at most of the local joints. For delivery, I usually figure an hour and a half, take-out 30 minutes minimum. If a 45 min wait is unusually slow, I want wherever you are to come here!
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

40-45 minutes is for a delivery average here. the longest I've waited is 1 1/2 but the pizza's good so it was worth it.

Comment

Glad the SC got fired.

Hell, with an hour and a half, I can make a pizza from scratch [I would have the dough raising while Rob was headed for the store to get the cheese and basil!]
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

My favorite pizza place always says, "Within the hour." And they get here within 60 minutes...very rarely, a little longer. So if I was told 45 minutes, I'd be all, "Yeah, you rock!"

Waaaaay back on New Year's Eve 1999, with all that Y2K hoopla going on, I called for pizza and was told it would be about 2 hours. I had already figured they were probably having a crazy night, so that didn't bother me. I just watched the TV specials showing how the rest of the world was celebrating the year 2000 coming in, and waited for my pizza to show up.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  Glad the SC got fired.

Hell, with an hour and a half, I can make a pizza from scratch [I would have the dough raising while Rob was headed for the store to get the cheese and basil!]
                  I'll admit it was the saturday before Mother's day and I suspect they were short staffed. I know a few of the giys who work there can be unreliable (I knew because hubby used to work there) and probably decided to take the day off.

Comment

I don't understand why she felt the need to stay and place an order instead of just ordering at a place that wasn't so busy, esp if it was a chain that always used the same ingredients. If she thought her loyalty could get her order faster, it totally backfired of course.

If I were the manager I would have liked to have mouthed off to her at the counter with, "If you don't quit screaming right now I'm gonna make a liar out of you. When it comes time to prepare your order, I'm taking my sweet old time..."

Comment

probably cos she was an EW.

whenever i've had pizza delivered i usually just entertained myself online until it showed up. sometimes i almost forgot about it until the knock.

Comment

45 minute wait sounds about normal for a Friday night in my neighborhood... Of course, I've noticed that for my own orders, the pizza tends to come in about half the quoted time. So either they're overestimating or the drivers have noticed that I tip well

Comment

I don't understand. Pizzas usually take between 30-50 minutes to cook, right? Especially the thick crusts that I love. And when you're working with a skeleton crew, you're lucky to be able to get anything done at all.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Pizzas don't take very long to cook at all, it's the queuing to get them into the oven & the delivery drive that make the process take a long time. My favourite local store has taken as long as 90 minutes when it's really busy, but if I get my order in during a quiet period I can be eating it within 20 minutes - and it's at least a 5 minute drive away!
                            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

For clarification, with nothing to interfere it takes about 10 minutes to make a pizza at our place. What really ups the wait time, expecially when we're short staffed, is having to take more orders. With a crew of six people, one person is usually stuck permantly on the register with another taking pizzas out of the oven (we use a conveyor type convection oven). When four phone lines are constantly ringing this doesn't leave anyone to actually make the pizzas so the wait time goes up.

Comment

Working...
                              X