Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I demand that you change the rules for me!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I demand that you change the rules for me!

Petrol vouchers are heeeeere again... and so is the constant suck. I expect I'll have more stories next week when they start to expire. Anyway, this couple filled up three cars on different pumps; their grown up daughter was driving one. The daughter stayed in her car and the parents came in to pay. They produced a petrol voucher.

Now, this is how the voucher works. You hand it to the cashier, and you get five pence of every litre of fuel purchased. Also, and this is the kicker, you are only allowed ONE voucher for ONE transaction. Therefore, my collegue Sarah refused, and told them that they could only use the voucher for one of the cars. The couple did not like this. Nope, not one bit. The husband started to yell at Sarah, so I went over to back her up and told them that our hands were tied, that we had no power to overrule the policy, but if they wanted to speak to the manager, we could call him over.

Please note that I knew damn well that the manager would not bend the rules for them either, but in this situation I always call out a manager for two reasons. Firstly, it's a manager's job to deal with unruly customers, and to get them to listen; SCs rarely, if ever, take any notice of what we lowly cashiers have to say. Second, there was a giant queue of customers patiently waiting, and this way we could serve them while the manager dealt with the SCs. So Sarah went out to call over the store manager Paul.

When Paul arrived, the SCs then started to air their grieviences, citing that since "everywhere else" let them use one voucher for three transactions, that we should therefore let them. They also said that we'd let them get away with this before; a blatant lie cuz we'd never seen these people before here and would certainly not allow such a bad case of rule ignoring. Paul told them that he couldn't bend the rules for them, and that the policy had to stand. Despite their bellowing about how unfair it was, he didn't back down and told them they could pick one transaction for the voucher, and that was final.

Paul left and the couple paid, using their voucher for one transaction and muttering about never coming back here again. I firmly believe that we will probably see them next week. XD
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

You could've told them that the register cannot be overriden except by the corporate peons in head offce.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

They were certainly working the SC lines well -- a nice combination of the "everywhere else lets us" and the "you've done this for us before."

Well done! Merits a 2 out of 10.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        You could've told them that the register cannot be overriden except by the corporate peons in head offce.
        Naw, then you'd have to put up with expecting you to give them produce at the very least a private phone number to contact the peon responsible, if not actually produce said peon in the store - and you really don't want them hanging around that long

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          They were certainly working the SC lines well -- a nice combination of the "everywhere else lets us" and the "you've done this for us before."

Well done! Merits a 2 out of 10.
          We've got to find out who's distributing the SC script... and stop them.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Is this the co of tes? I work near one and we always people complaining that you don't bend the rules, I look at them like WTF? Oddly enough it's the same types of customers who buy the cheapest item and ask for discount.

Comment

Nope, but close. I generally don't name the petrol station on here for safety; clue, there are orange bags involved.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                We've got to find out who's distributing the SC script... and stop them.
                Working on that. And after long, careful, and painstaking research, I have discovered the script is being distributed by a woman and her son, by the names of Sarah and John Connor. I am working with my friend Miles on the best way to deal with them. Since I'll need your help with this, when we get our plan finalized, I'll be back.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Working on that. And after long, careful, and painstaking research, I have discovered the script is being distributed by a woman and her son, by the names of Sarah and John Connor. I am working with my friend Miles on the best way to deal with them. Since I'll need your help with this, when we get our plan finalized, I'll be back.
                  Jester, you're a wise man. (Or at least you crack wise a lot.) So tell us: What is good in life?
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth cono1717 View Post
                    Is this the co of tes?

Quoth Lace Neil Singer
                    Nope, but close. I generally don't name the petrol station on here for safety; clue, there are orange bags involved.
                    That's enough to tell any Brit the supermarket. They do like their orange!! We managed to snag a petrol voucher a few weeks ago after an unexpectedly big shop (well it was Eurovision after all) and I recall the slight recoil of the cashier when it was presented...
                    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      I hope you're working on a biological based solution. The mechanical/computer based attempts (Terminators, Berserkers, and the Borg for example) have not had any success in their attempts to eradicate SCs.

Afterthought: SC = Sarah Conner?
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's the only explanation.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Co of tes confused the issue a while back: They did 'stackable' ones which you could get you spend £Y, buy product A, or buy product B. For the first time ever no matter how you scored the coupon you could stack up to 3 of them in a single transaction.

They weren't doing it this time and would only allow one to be used per transaction. Hubby was told this and politely said "oh, ok. I didn't realise" and used one, saved the other for later in the week. Good husband! *pats head*
                          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                          X