This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creepy Much?

This just happened tonight, and I'm still creeped out.

My coworker and I had just finished all the closing tasks and were seconds away from setting the alarm and walking out, when I noticed a mysterious car parked near the door. The rule is, we're not supposed to enter or exit the store if any strange vehicles or people are around.

I had already turned all the lights off in the store, so I moved over to check out this car--no one was sitting in it, but the hazards were on. This situation had never happened to me before, so I called my manager quick to confirm it was okay for me to call the police. As I'm talking to my manager, this guy, who I've never seen before, appears and starts knocking on the door. After informing my manager of what was up, I hung up and went over to tell this guy through the glass door off.

Me: I'm sorry, I can't open the door!
    Creepy Guy: I'm the owner of this building! I want to know why the lights are off out here, and I need to get in there and check the circuit breakers!
    Me: Um, no.
    CG: I own this building!
    Me: Sir, I cannot let you in here, no way, no how.
    CG: *gives me a horribly degrading look* Oh REALLY?!?
    Me: Yes, really!

He starts to sputter and yell, but I storm away and call my manager back. He confirms that it probably is the building owner (based on appearance), but he says there's no reason for him to be at our store at 9:30 at night, and there was no fucking way we should let him in (duh, hehe). During this phone call, CG is continuing to knock on the doors and windows, giving me angry looks. My manager tells me to go ahead and call the police.

As I talk to the dispatch, giving her the situation and telling her what CG looks like, etc, the turd is STILL knocking on the door! After a couple more minutes--and since I was around the corner, out of sight--I watched him drive off, albeit slowly. Dispatch canceled the fuzz and bid me a good night.

I made sure to text my manager, warning him that CG, if he is indeed the building owner, will most likely be calling him tomorrow with great malice. Luckily my manager knows the whole story and will let him have it.

But seriously, WHO DOES THAT?!?!? Creepy bastard... My hands were shaking for a good hour after that.
    Here's your sign...

Absolutely creepy, and you did the exact right thing. Let management handle it. Too much of a safety risk to lets somebody after closing.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

It's the same as if he owned the building someone lives in. Even so, he has to get permission to come in.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Honestly that is messed up. The proper thing to do would be to call the manager and let him know that he would be dropping over, so manager could let the staff know. You followed the policy to the letter, who knows maybe it was a really really really messed up test.
        The angels have the phone box.

Comment

The lights were off because you were closed... Surely that bit would be obvious? Unless there were other illuminated signs that aren't related to your business, such as advertising hoardings he's renting out; even so, they would be the responsibility of the renters, and shouldn't require entry to the building at such a sensitive time!
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I believe he was referring to the lamps around the outside of the entire building, which we have no control over (that I know of). Nonetheless, he can come by during our store hours and figure it out, instead of accosting two women after close and after dark.
            Here's your sign...

Comment

That's just ... weird. He couldn't come by to "check the circuit breakers" during normal business hours ... ?

Definitely you did the right thing!

Comment

I definately wouldn't have let him in, it's not safe to let strange people into a store after closing.

Comment

If that is indeed the building owner (which I'm having my doubts), he should know that businesses run during certain hours and have safety protocols after hours. He should also have gotten in touch with the store manager rather than harrassing the closing employees. Red flags are flying here, and I wasn't even there.

You totally did the right thing, and I hope that if the jerk does come back, the manager will have some serious words with him, at least.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I wouldn't have let him in either. I've been working late with a female collegue before and had a man bang on the window asking to be let in after closing; no, way. Even if they're a genuine person, we're two women alone at night. We are not letting people in.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

The entire time I worked for that company, I never once saw the owner of the building or even heard his name. He literally had nothing to do with the operation of the business. Any maitnance, including the the outside lamps, was done ourselves, or put through that wretched ticket system that the SMs have to use now.

Even if he was the owner, as other said, what a skeeze. Even worse, he made no attempt to identify himself. Even if he thinks he should be able to march on into the building whenever he pleases, does he really think that the employees should let in ANYONE who says they are the landlord? Or does he expect that you will psychically know who is telling the truth or lying?
                      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

I was wondering that if he was really the owner of the building, why wouldn't he be using his keys to open up the door? Since he was outside pounding, I call BS.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                          I was wondering that if he was really the owner of the building, why wouldn't he be using his keys to open up the door? Since he was outside pounding, I call BS.
                          Even if he is the owner, he owns the building, but not the doors, which the OP's business likely installed (or at least had the locks installed) themselves.

Once again, he might have been the owner, but he still has to ask permission to come in. If it isn't given, he's SOL.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            If that is indeed the building owner (which I'm having my doubts),
                            I agree. I doubt that it was the real owner. Why would the real owner be surprised that the lights are off when you're closed? He was just using it as an excuse to get inside.

Comment

I agree with the majority. How could you have known he was the owner; I'm sure 99.9 percent of employees have NEVER met the owner of the building they work in. Not to mention, it's like a tenant/landlord relationship; he needs to arrange to enter the building with the renter. Even if his feelings were hurt, if it was really the owner, hopefully he'll understand where you guys were coming from once it's spelled-out for him.

Just because people at my mall rent stores doesn't mean mall employees (management, security, maintenance) can just waltz-in and muck around without notice, although we always do so during operating hours and the managers on duty have always given permission, because if we ask to do so it's for a very good reason!

A mall across town had a big FUBAR last year. Their security found a man in a suit outside after closing. He said he was the owner of (phone kiosk) and said he needed to get paperwork from the kiosk. THEY LET HIM IN! And he proceeded to burglarize several kiosks including the one he was posing as the owner of. He was caught because the last kiosk was alarmed and scared him off; their cameras also got his picture. This was INCREDIBLY STUPID because security was just like "oh, sure! You look important" and let him in. At my mall we have emergency contact info for every store and kiosk, and being small we know most managers by face. We also require 48 hour notification if you're going to be working early or late in your store for more than an hour before or after closing; it's for insurance purposes and in case of a disaster we know 'hey, we have to rescue the 3 employees working late at Radioshack' or the like.
                              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                              X