Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to do a double-take of the title. I initially read it as "Week of Sucking Petrol".

Comment

Quoth Cat Herder View Post
      I had to do a double-take of the title. I initially read it as "Week of Sucking Petrol".
      Vinegar Boy II: The Human Torch
      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
      Fiancee: What?!
      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
        I've done this accidentally before. We have to use a store card to get a discount on petrol at the one I shop at (and to actually start the pump if you're not paying in cash beforehand). I forgot to swipe my credit card after and just took off. I ended up getting a letter in the mail because the store card was attached to my account that said to call them about it. I explained what must have happened and they told me no worries, just pay at one of their locations.
        We've had people do that before; they normally contact us of their own accord if they remember, or rush in mortified to pay if they don't. This guy, however, made no attempt whatsoever to come in and pay.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          I want free fuel!

We had a drive out, where a guy filled up and didn't even try to come in and pay. It was during a busy period, where we were overwhelmed with customers for a while so he would have been able to escape unseen... were it not for the customer who came after him. Sucks to be him; she not only gave us his registration number but also a complete description of his car. We passed this on to the old bill, so it won't be long before he's tracked down and arrested. Yeah, that was really worth it, wasn't it?
          Update on this guy; the police tracked him down and arrested him and he ended up in court charged with theft. Think he got whacked with a fine and also having to pay for the fuel and costs. Ignore CCTV at your peril...
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

The pumps at the C-Store chain I work at (and most others in the area) are pump and pay as well, with PAP and Pre-pay abilities, like CC was describing. You know, Lace,the guy could've been dumber. Had one at the C-store I started at that drove off, was caught, and went to court. Guy was stupid enough to not only have been seen by an employee, but be wearing the same clothing he'd been wearing when he'd committed the crime, AND be driving the same vehicle. Needless to say, former cw OWNED the guy in the courtroom, and C-Store got their money.
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

We should make a thread of horror stories about gas station customers so none of us try to apply for a gas station job. I'm thinking about applying at one because there's a station hiring only 2 blocks from my house, would make a great commute on foot, and I could use the extra cash for emergencies. But would it be WORTH the trouble? You guys decide!

Comment

Well, it can be amusing at times, it's true. XD

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                The pumps at the C-Store chain I work at (and most others in the area) are pump and pay as well, with PAP and Pre-pay abilities, like CC was describing. You know, Lace,the guy could've been dumber. Had one at the C-store I started at that drove off, was caught, and went to court. Guy was stupid enough to not only have been seen by an employee, but be wearing the same clothing he'd been wearing when he'd committed the crime, AND be driving the same vehicle. Needless to say, former cw OWNED the guy in the courtroom, and C-Store got their money.
                Sounds like this woman who was caught after doing two driveouts; she did one, then returned in her husband's car for the second. That time, she also entered the shop so was caught on that camera too. When the police landed on her doorstep, she denied it was her... even tho BOTH cars were outside her house and she was wearing the same clothes she'd been wearing on the day! She also had to pay for the petrol and got community service.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                  Every single gas station I've been to here in the states always required a credit card inserted or cash paid to the station attendant before the pump even operated to prevent things like this. Is this less common in the UK?
                  On the diesel side, some places (like one independent truck stop I went to in Louisiana during the price spike of '07-'08) are set up so they'll start the pump, then run your Comdata card after you finish pumping. I was used to the Flying J near the company yard, where the TCH card was good for $1000 per transaction, so you'd just re-start the pump (card done at the pump, and it wouldn't start the pump unless the card was good). Pump shut off before my truck was full, they ran the card, it processed, and they re-started the pump for the remainder. Put in about $50 worth to finish the fill, went inside, and the card was rejected. Turns out Comdata was good for $1000 per CALENDAR DAY. Fortunately I was able to put the balance on my credit card. What happens if someone honestly believes their payment card is good, but due to some glitch it's rejected? When you're dealing with vehicles that can gulp down a 4-figure fuel bill at one sitting, that's not good. Also, why couldn't Comdata and TCH do what Esso did, namely have the card be good for 1200 litres per day - which wouldn't result in "cut off before full" in the event of a price spike?

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  In the US, only New Jersey and (IIRC) Oregon require full service by law. Every other state is self serve. You can pay at the counter in some places, not in others. It was quite flustering when I moved to a state where you HAVE to pay at the pump. North Carolina allows pay at the counter, and had issues with drive offs when the economy tanked and gas prices soared. Most of the stations have since retrofitted to pay at pump as a result.
                  I've heard that NJ and OR allow 2 exceptions where customers can self-serve: diesel and motorcycles. The diesel bit is to allow cardlocks (otherwise it would increase staffing requirements for truck stops), the motorcycle bit is for liability - stations pushed for it after an attendant accidentally scratched a custom airbrushed paint job on a bike's tank. On the TDI club forums, there are occasional stories about SCs who go ape (apologies to the monkeys) when they see a TDI owner being allowed to pump their own, but THEY have to wait for an attendant. As for "pay at the pump only", how do people without credit/debit cards buy their fuel? Why can't they put down a cash deposit at the counter, then come back for their change after pumping?

Quoth Zenova View Post
                  IOne place I went to, i tried to put in diesel as normal, but nothing happened. Its only when I went inside i was told that i had to pre-pay for a certain amount of fuel. Only ever had that at that one place.
                  TDI club has a LONG thread about that happening for a different reason - attendant is trying to keep the customer from ruining their engine by "misfueling" with diesel (even though the TDI is a diesel).

Quoth fireheart View Post
                  Also, at least in South Australia, we have a system where you can check when your rego is due to expire online. Some petrol stations have been using that function to check licence plates of drive-offs, so that they can inform the police of the car make, model, colour and if the licence plates are stolen or not. (for instance, if a white 99 Toyota Camry drives off with a licence plate for a 2004 green Holden Barina, you can bet that the Barina plates have been stolen)
                  Then you'll get a "creative" crook who steals (or better yet, makes phony copies, so the victim doesn't know their number has been nabbed) plates from a car of the same make/model/colour/generation (e.g. 1991-1994 Hyundai Excel - from the outside, unless you know what to look for - such as the CCTV showing a Hyundai logo immediately below the rear window on a hatchback when the plate is registered to a 1991-1993, all those model years look the same). Lookup on the plates will produce a match, so the wrong person gets blamed.

Quoth DarkProwler View Post
                  The gas stations around my parts are the standard prepay/pay-at-pump deals, but the one closest to my home now apparently won't let you prepay with cash (you can still pay at the pump with debit/credit, though). Instead, you register for this prepay card to start up the pump (they take your name, address, phone, and driver's license number), then you can pay cash inside when you're done. I haven't used that option yet, so I really don't see the benefit, other than getting info on non-credit/debit users.
                  One major truck stop chain has that option for their loyalty cards - after you purchase a certain volume of fuel (someone's unlikely to do several fills using cash just to set up for one drive-off), you can use your loyalty card as a pump start. I've never used that feature, just in case the payment card is rejected (fortunately, since 2 of their locations between a regular consignee in VA and a regular shipper in NC are agency locations that don't accept the T-check card my current company uses even though they take most T-check cards - and ours requires going inside to set up, so people would be tempted to use that option for convenience).

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  Update on this guy; the police tracked him down and arrested him and he ended up in court charged with theft. Think he got whacked with a fine and also having to pay for the fuel and costs. Ignore CCTV at your peril...
                  And some jurisdictions suspend your license if you're convicted of stealing fuel.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X