Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guinness Man can suck it. (very very long. Language!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry you had such an awful evening, Lizard Queen. I've worked as a foody myself and there's always the one jackass (or, in your case, a whole herd of them) that just love to watch the employees have to knuckle under to whatever abuse they choose to dish out. Kudos to your manager for finally getting nicely abrupt and honest with the guy.

I hate places that make the servers cover dine-and-dash patrons. It's not like the servers can stand there and stare at the tables; they have to be back and forth, here and there, but somehow it's still their fault.

Comment

I think you're onto something mooncat.

Option 3: He wanted to take his drink outside, in some cities (like Chicago) walking with an open booze container is illegal.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        What was the conference about? How to be an asshole? Sounds like they've got it nailed.

And seriously, who prefers Guinness in a can over on tap??
        Quoth I am the Lizard Queen!! View Post
        And, totally, Guinness in a can? is that really a big deal??? huh.
        Even a non-seasoned beer drinker as myself can tell the difference.

Draft is really much better, IMHO.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl
          I think you're onto something mooncat.

Option 3: He wanted to take his drink outside, in some cities (like Chicago) walking with an open booze container is illegal.
          There's also an option 4: he is one of those people who are convinced that bars are all swindlers who water down their drinks. Can't water down a can! Genius! I've beaten the system!

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            Even a non-seasoned beer drinker as myself can tell the difference.

Draft is really much better, IMHO.
            As I understand it, the beer connoisseur's preference for the source of the beer goes:

Draft > Bottle > Can
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              As I understand it, the beer connoisseur's preference for the source of the beer goes:

Draft > Bottle > Can
              Yes, for the most part. There was one beer that was much better in a bottle then out of the tap - Alaskan Amber ale. Way better in the bottle.
              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Draft > Bottle > Can > Horse > Cat
                You left off a few grades.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I have no idea what this guy was planning with his sacred can of Guinness but as far as I'm concerned he can cram it up his ass.
                  I'm just so bitter you guys. I really didn't know people were such miserable ass-holes.
                  "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Allow me to weigh in. Oh PLEASE, allow me.

GM: I think you can make an exception.
                    I know you are wrong.
                    GM: You can make an exception.
                    You can blow a donkey.
                    GMo you have any idea how much our group is spending on this conference???
                    The more important question is, Do I care?
                    GM: I KNOW you can make an exception.
                    And I KNOW that Keira Knightley is desperately in love with me. Clearly we are both delusional.
                    GM:You are being strict, just to be an ass-hole, aren't you?
                    No, we're being strict because it's our job. Being an asshole to you is just a bonus.
                    GM: So all the money we have spent in this hotel all week means nothing to you?
                    Not nearly as much as all the tabs you didn't pay.
                    GM: I. Want. A. Can. Of. Guinness.
                    I. Want. A. Blow. Job. From. Coté. de. Pablo. Looks like we're both gonna be disappointed.

No, unfortunately we had to put through most of them as paid with cash which means it comes out of our tips. M did void a few of them so we didn't lose ALL our tip money
                    That's bullshit. Yes, I know, sometimes you have to suck it up and pay walkouts, I get that. But your manager should have stood up for the two of you to his/her superiors and said, "Look, here's what happened." It was an extraordinary situation you two had to deal with, and normal rules should not apply. And your manager should have said as much.

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                    Is the conference there another day? I'm thinking prepay and a willingness to tell every person WHY when they question it.
                    "Will that be cash or did you want to run a tab? A tab? Sure, I'll just need your credit card, please." No exceptions. Pretty much standard operating procedure in most places when they have big events or get crushed like that.

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                    Also, if I remember correctly, Jester has something in his sig about not pissing off bartenders. I think that also applies to bar staff.
                    That was my old sig, which I had for many years. It said, "Bartenders are gods. Do not anger the gods. Tip well." Or something very close to that. Though my new sig is pretty spiffy, I think. Saw it on a sign at one of our local watering holes down here. Thought it was pretty appropriate, and definitely apropos for this thread.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Douchebags with less taste than even those who would date Lindsay Lohan, those who think Paris Hilton is in some way "hot," or those who enjoy the music of Justin Bieber.

And, totally, Guinness in a can? is that really a big deal??? huh.
                    Yes, it is that big a deal. One should always drink Guinness on draft!

Seriously, the only way I drink Guinness from a can is if I am doing Irish car bombs. That's it.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Y'know, thinking about it, I bet Guinness Man demanded a can of beer for one of two reasons (or maybe both):

1) He had just gotten kicked out of the other bar for being an asshole, so he wasn't getting anything to drink there.
                    2) He wanted to prove what a Big Manly Man he was by demanding service at a place that was closed.
                    3. He's just a raging, little dicked, pinheaded, moronic, asshole fucktard.

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                    In most American cities, actually. There are very few where this is NOT the case. I can think of about half a dozen, total.

Draft > Bottle > Can
                    Not so sure about that. In most cases, that is correct, but most people I know would prefer the Guinness in a can to that in a bottle. The bottled stuff is just so wrong on so many levels, it's not even funny. I listed above the one reason I would drink Guinness from a can. There are no reasons to drink it from a bottle.

Another exception to the above rule is a lot of microbreweries are canning their beer, and canning technology has come to the point where there is no difference, and some canned microbrews are actually superior to their bottled cousins. Of course, the major breweries haven't really bothered with this technology, which is why canned Corona still tastes like utter shit. Hell, when faced with an option of canned Corona, I would rather drink canned Miller Lite. Yes, *I* just said that.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

I really didn't know people were such miserable ass-holes.
                      Sadly, that is one of the things one learns and learns quickly, working anywhere. Don't let it get you down.

Besides, we're always here to listen!

I am glad you guys got to make them pay up front, though.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Lizard Queen, I've been in the food service industry longer than I care to admit (since 1986, actually), and I have found that there are two solid, fast rules that you can absolutely count on.

1. There are always going to be people who are complete assholes.

2. You can never, ever, EVER take their shit personally.

Once you accept those two rules, the job gets much, much less stressful mentally and emotionally.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Not so sure about that. In most cases, that is correct, but most people I know would prefer the Guinness in a can to that in a bottle. The bottled stuff is just so wrong on so many levels, it's not even funny. I listed above the one reason I would drink Guinness from a can. There are no reasons to drink it from a bottle.
                          Probably because they can stick the "widget" into the can before putting the top on, but there's no way they can stuff it down the neck of a bottle - the can will produce a "head" closer to that produced by the draft. Also, Guinness bottles are green. There's a reason brown is the standard colour for beer bottles - unlike green and clear, it blocks certain wavelengths of light that produce instant spoilage.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Actually, Guinness bottles are dark brown to black. Just saying. You're absolutely right on the widgets, though. Guinness is one of the only beers where the can is closer to the draft than the bottle is.

Still A Customer."

Comment

M: That's interesting, because half your group walked out on their tabs earlier and we really can't afford to lose any more money to you guys tonight.
                              GM: I. Want. A, Can. Of. Guinness.

How it should go
                              M: Well, I want those tabs paid. Arrange that, and I'll have that Guinness out so fast, it'll have a Doppler effect
                              GM: *splutters* That's not my fault.
                              M:: No, it isn't. But considering how much your group currently owes us, we're refusing to serve any of you until the slate is cleaned

EXUNT GUINNESS MAN, STAGE LEFT
                              There. I fixed it for ya. I can pretty much guarantee that would shut him down pretty fast. Either that, or you'd get paid for those tabs. It's a win-win.
                              Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                                What was the conference about? How to be an asshole? Sounds like they've got it nailed.

An asshole, apparently.
                                If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Working...
                                X