This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On sale after purchace

"This wasn't on sale when I bought it last week and I brought it back with a receipt. You owe me the difference."
    I take my elderly neighbor shopping and I run onto a few doozies whenever I take her shopping. I'll keep updating as the days pass.
    "

The attitude is a bit sucky, but I don't think the actions are as much. As long as the item is within the return period, I have done that before, and when I worked retail, cheerfully handled people wanting to do the same thing.

Comment

At the swamp we would cheerfully refund your neighbor the difference. Even though we shouldn't.

We're a store. We exist to sell things for as much as we can get for them. Why do we need to take money out of the register because your timing sucks? It does not ever occur to me to go back to the store just to pocket an extra buck or two when a better sale comes along. For one thing I'm not organized enough to save all the receipts.

Price adjustments are one of the many ways stores suck up to people more than they should.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Definitely could have been worded differently and been more polite that's for sure. It's not an unreasonable request however.

I only go back for the difference when it's on a large item (generally, that's an advertised policy anyway). A box of crackers, for example? Not worth the hassle.

Comment

To return an item that's within the store's return timeline, that's not been used and in original packaging, as long as all else is within store policy, nothing wrong with that.

To then go buy the same item again, getting it cheaper, nothing really wrong in that, either.

The attitude that the store "owes" you the difference because you bought it before the sale, that's where all the wrong lies.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
            To return an item that's within the store's return timeline, that's not been used and in original packaging, as long as all else is within store policy, nothing wrong with that.

To then go buy the same item again, getting it cheaper, nothing really wrong in that, either.

The attitude that the store "owes" you the difference because you bought it before the sale, that's where all the wrong lies.
            I know, right? When they say it the way the person in the OP did, it sounds like the store screwed up or did some other terrible thing.
            Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

Comment

The people I work with joke "Just follow Teefies2 around when she's shopping, whatever she is buying today will be on sale next week". Yeah ha ha. But it DOES seem to work that way .. I can't get my household needs coordinated with my store's sale schedule.

However, am I sucky about it? NO Do I return EVERY item to get the sale price? NO (Well, okay maybe if it's a large difference, like Slayer said.)

I had a co-worker tonight return an item for a 10 cent difference - yes you read that right! She got back $0.10 (one DIME) !!!!!!!!!!! <muttering> as if it's not bad enough the customers do it.

Comment

If I know the store has a policy about honoring sale prices on previous purchases, I might go back and ask. I know Old Navy honors the sale price if you bought something within a week previous. Otherwise, I figure if I liked it well enough to pay full price, then I must've really wanted it.

Comment

My feeling is that you agreed to the price at the time you bought it, so why do you deserve a discount later. Isn't the reason the store has sales anyway is to get people into the store in hopes they will buy nonsale items? But I probably shouldn't comment on this anyway, I hate to shop and would pay twice the price not to have to deal with crowds. (Guess that's why Amazon gets so much of my money.
                  "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Comment

Usually, if it's a big ticket item, I'll shop around until I find what I want for the price I want. And if it were to go on sale for cheaper after? I paid extra to not have to deal with other people! And that's worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I hate this. My store will do adjustments if, and only if, it was marked down from the original price. Once, and only within 14 days of purchase. So if it gets a second markdown, no adjustment. if its an additional % off the markdown, no adjustment. if the % off the markdown price has increase, say form 30 to 40%, no adjustment.

that doesn't stop them from asking! Sometimes, depending on the customer, and the manager, they will return and repurchase for some, but my feeling is, adhere to the policy, no exceptions.

Comment

A lot of stores around here have 30 day price guarantees. A TV I bought went on sale two weeks after I bought it and the store refunded the difference with a smile - almost $400. Win4Me!

Comment

I can't be the only person that thinks of this commercial when talking about price adjustments, can I?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epP3jETf8Og

(Seriously, goes through my head EVERY time a customer asks for an adjustment)

Comment

Quoth NotAlBundy View Post
                            I can't be the only person that thinks of this commercial when talking about price adjustments, can I?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epP3jETf8Og

(Seriously, goes through my head EVERY time a customer asks for an adjustment)

That's a really cute commercial!

Comment

Instead of simply refunding them the difference, you should have them RETURN the item, then make them purchase it again at the lower price by making them get the same item from the shelf, then having them wait in line. Some may see this as a small revenge, but no. Think about it from a marketing perspective. As they're going through the aisle, they might see new items or sale items and may end up purchasing more. They know they're going to get their previous item at a lower cost, and some may think that with the money they just saved, they can get something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X