X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're not getting help down here

Yesterday was weird.

Congratulations, you recognize me. Now GTFO!

An SC followed me down to the locker room when I got to work. There are bathrooms down in the basement, but customers generally don't use them unless it's a parent with kids (multiple stalls so nobody has to wait). I'm almost to the locker room, sense a presence behind me and turn around...just as SC tries to grab my arm (she does grab my purse strap).

Me: *wishing there weren't cameras down there* Excuse me, this is an employee ONLY area.
    SC: I just wanted you to help me find something.
    Me: (wtf you must have walked past at least five employees to chase me) There are plenty of employees upstairs on the floor. Leave NOW.
    SC: I want you to help me!
    I suspect that this lady is going to stand around while I change and follow me to the timeclock..and then complain once she gets my name. In retrospect, I should have let that play out and have her admit she was in the basement with no good reason...maybe then I could see an actual ban in action.
    Me: There are cameras here. You should NOT be here. Right now, someone upstairs is getting ready to call security. GET OUT.
    SC: *splutters* You won't help me?
    Me: Not now that you're trespassing.

SC makes a move for the grocery loading room door, I use my bag to herd her up the stairs and out onto the floor. Dairy guy J sees what's happening and says he will make sure she doesn't get near the back of the store (or me) until I'm up front; he'll also have my back if SC tries to complain. Which I don't think she will, as doing so would be admitting she was trespassing.

-----------------------------------------------

SM had the pallet jack run over his foot earlier yesterday (he was leaving as I started). I told him to get it checked immediately even though he was walking around; with his weight, even a hairline fracture could be bad.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    Me: *wishing there weren't cameras down there* Excuse me, this is an employee ONLY area.
    SC: I just wanted you to help me find something.
    Me: (wtf you must have walked past at least five employees to chase me) There are plenty of employees upstairs on the floor. Leave NOW.
    SC: I want you to help me!
    Ah - but clearly you're the employee who has been granted god-given knowledge that only you and you alone can impart onto the huddled masses. Much like Moses coming down from Mount Herrod, only you can impart to her which aisle houses the Skittles.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 07-24-2012, 06:17 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

The minute she grabbed my purse strap, I'd have started yelling "thief" or something of that nature, telling her I was calling security & the police for assault. Damn, that's getting way too far into my personal space, you do NOT grab me or my belongings and not regret your actions.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Reminds me of when I used to work at The McD's when I was 14. I had just completed an order and went to get them their drinks when the woman seizes my wrist and drags me back to the counter, slamming my ribs into cash register.

Why did she do this?

Because she forget to tell me that she needed BBQ sauce for her kids' Happy Meals.
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
          Reminds me of when I used to work at The McD's when I was 14. I had just completed an order and went to get them their drinks when the woman seizes my wrist and drags me back to the counter, slamming my ribs into cash register.

Why did she do this?

Because she forget to tell me that she needed BBQ sauce for her kids' Happy Meals.
          She couldn't have asked for sauce without assaulting you? Did the manager do anything? (I ask because far too many young people do not know their rights and are at the mercy of managers who may not be entirely scrupulous.)
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

She wha...?? How the hell are you going to help her find something that's UP ON THE SALES FLOOR while you're down in the basement...? She had to fixate on YOU, she couldn't just ask someone else to help her...gahhh.... She probably walked right past the item she wanted!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              She couldn't have asked for sauce without assaulting you? Did the manager do anything? (I ask because far too many young people do not know their rights and are at the mercy of managers who may not be entirely scrupulous.)
              Well the first thing that happened was that I grabbed her wrist with my free hand - which was luckily my strong hand/right hand - and slammed it onto the counter (instinctual reaction from karate.)

Second thing that happened was the manager in training came storming over. He has a soft spot for his Middle School/High School students and does NOT like it when any customer tries ANYTHING on them.

He told the lady that her order (which was originally a dine in) was now to-go and he also informed her that she was not allowed on the property again, since she apparently could not keep her hands to herself.

He was also promoted to full on manager about a week later, all the "grunts" were very pleased.
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

No pun intended Dreamstalker, but it's a SC's wetdream! One-on-one with an employee in the proverbial 'back room?' What consumer desires couldn't be fulfilled in such a situation?!

You're lucky you got away.

Comment

*smacks sms with a flogger made from produce rubberbands and bread tags* If by 'desires' you mean getting strung up by their toes in the freight elevator shaft, than sure

There are a couple idiots who sadly, think that just because they recognize me when I'm not on the clock that I'll drop everything to help them because I'm 'such a nice person' (the ones who do this are almost never nice people themselves).

Turned out the item she was looking for was almost right outside the backroom. I dunno, maybe she wanted a 'fresher' one and thought that I'd be able to waltz into the storeroom for her. The grocery manager was not happy when I told him what happened.
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 07-25-2012, 03:55 AM.

Comment

I really don't understand the need to violate someone's personal space. Why is this efficient? How is this helping you get what you want?
                    The other day I had to bolt for the washroom because I had a raging nosebleed, although my manager was still there and perfectly capable of serving a drink this self entitled shit splat decides to grab my sleeve and whip me around almost earning himself a face full of blood.
                    Hands. OFF.
                    Last edited by MadMike; 07-25-2012, 09:56 PM. Reason: There are certain things we don't condone, and we don't want them posted here even if you're "kidding."
                    "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Quoth I am the Lizard Queen!! View Post
                      I really don't understand the need to violate someone's personal space. Why is this efficient? How is this helping you get what you want?
                      It's an aggression thing. Basically, by touching you they are asserting a kind of dominance, kind of like dogs do. They are broadcasting that they can and will invade your personal space, and touch you, because you are below them and cannot do anything in retaliation.

Couple that with the mindset of, "All employees are lazy and will get out of as much work as they can, therefore I must TOUCH them to ensure that they do not simply ignore me in favor of lollygagging around in the backroom."
                      Last edited by Dave1982; 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We just read it

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        I would think having the cameras down there would be a good thing, especially if SCs are trespassing. Then you've got proof that they were where they weren't supposed to be.

Still, I'm glad your coworker had your back and nothing worse happened.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm not sure they would do much good unless the manager happened to be watching that camera at the time it happened though. I suspect they're more for general safety (something happens in the break room, etc).
                          Last edited by Dave1982; 07-27-2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Why couldn't this woman just go to one of the other employees that she walked past while stalking you? And why do customers feel that it is a right to intrude into employee-only areas? Get the hell out and back where you belong! We're allowed to have at least ONE part of a store to ourselves customer-free!

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                              We're allowed to have at least ONE part of a store to ourselves customer-free!
                              Of course you are - that little spot where they plug you in at night.

Madness takes it's toll....
                              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X