X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names

I work at a game store, great place, lots of fun, but sometimes:

Me: well Duh!
    SC: I guess not really a customer, just really annoying.
    (just for the record, I have a very very common name that is very hard to forget)

SC: *fairly regular so should know my name by now* Hey Mike
    Me: My name is not Mike
    SC: *2hrs later* Hey Mike
    Me: Stop calling me that.
    SC: *Next day* Hey Mike

I have been called several different names, none of them are even close to my real name, names including Chauncey (still cant figure out how they got this one), Dave, Mike, Jesse, Chris, and many more. My name really is not that hard to remember but I constantly get people who have known me for years calling me by the wrong name. It drives me bonkers.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

He could just be calling you Mike to annoy you. I have a friend who does this. Maybe you should just refuse to respond until he gets your name right (if it won't get you in trouble).

Comment

Quoth Rena_Muffin View Post
      He could just be calling you Mike to annoy you. I have a friend who does this. Maybe you should just refuse to respond until he gets your name right (if it won't get you in trouble).
      I was going to suggest this as well. If you get yelled at (by either boss/SC) then you can truthfully (hehehehe) respond, "I didn't know he was talking to me, as my name isn't Mike, it's XXXX."
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Agreed. Don't respond if he uses the wrong name.

I did this at school. One jerk decided I looked like Rod's brother-- Rod being a classmate of ours (we really didn't look alike). That's what he always called me. Until one day I stopped responding, and he finally asked me what my name was. He never called me "Rod's brother" again.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The thing is, he doesnt do it to annoy me and apologizes right away for doing so. He just says it like someone would normally say your name. I have told him that the next time I will resort to violent means to stop him (joking of course).
          "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

I tend to have problems remembering people's names. I've tried to fix this, but for some reason most people's names just don't stick. These days, I rarely even bother using names. I just use generic terms like 'man' or 'guys' or my own pet names for people I know well.

Is it possible this guy has a similar issue and just hasn't found a workaround he's comfortable with yet?
            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
              I tend to have problems remembering people's names. I've tried to fix this, but for some reason most people's names just don't stick. These days, I rarely even bother using names. I just use generic terms like 'man' or 'guys' or my own pet names for people I know well.

Is it possible this guy has a similar issue and just hasn't found a workaround he's comfortable with yet?
              I'll admit, I do this sometimes, come up with nicknames for people. It helps me remember them.

I do remember my friend Dammit from high school. We met at a fine arts summer camp and were in a lot of the same acting classes there. His name was Chris, but when someone else was introducing folks at the lunch table, this happened:

Them: "This is Jess, Paul, Jay, and... dammit..."
              Him: "Yes, I'm Dammit, but everybody calls me Chris."

Of course, that nickname stuck. So when I ran into him again at an improv competition later that year, I greeted him with "Dammit! How the hell are you?"
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                Them: "This is Jess, Paul, Jay, and... dammit..."
                Him: "Yes, I'm Dammit, but everybody calls me Chris."

Of course, that nickname stuck. So when I ran into him again at an improv competition later that year, I greeted him with "Dammit! How the hell are you?"
                But Dad, I'm JESUS CHRIST!!
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  But Dad, I'm JESUS CHRIST!!
                  I was just thinking the same thing! Funnily enough that record was playing on my iPhone over lunch too... :P

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    I was just thinking the same thing! Funnily enough that record was playing on my iPhone over lunch too... :P
                    How'd you balance a 12" LP on an iPhone?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      How'd you balance a 12" LP on an iPhone?
                      I was wondering how much the needle app was...
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

*facepalms* You both are silly...very very silly.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                          *facepalms* You both are silly...very very silly.
                          W00t! High-five, dalesys!
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I'm horrible with names. To the point where I have, quite literally, forgotten MY OWN NAME. This happened less than 10 years ago. I was not under the influence of any drugs at the time either.

My most common 'work-around' these days is to tell people I'm liable to meet again straight up 'I probably won't remember your name, I hope that won't upset you. I'll remember your face, though!'
                            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                              I was wondering how much the needle app was...
                              I insist on an elliptical diamond microgroove.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X