X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English to SC translator

Saw this sign at a gas pump awhile back:

And immediately thought of how it would read if it were written by someone who has been worn down by dealing with hordes of SCs.

Here's what I came up with:

Attention Idiots,

If you are using your debit card to get gas, your bank may put a HOLD on your funds. That means you won't be able to access your money even when it seems to be there. Do not waste your time complaining to me or my manager. Although you think we are unscrupulous thieves who have somehow stolen your money from you, the truth is we had nothing to do with it and you need to take it up with your bank. No you can't get any freebies, no we won't give you a discount. This is not our fault. No, you can't get anyone fired for this. CALL YOUR BANK.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Haha. That's awesome. Was this in the States? Where in a lot of places, from what I understand, you can't tell the pump after swiping your debit (and before you gas up) that you only want a certain amount?

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      Saw this sign at a gas pump awhile back:

And immediately thought of how it would read if it were written by someone who has been worn down by dealing with hordes of SCs.

Here's what I came up with:

Attention Idiots,

If you are using your debit card to get gas, your bank may put a HOLD on your funds. That means you won't be able to access your money even when it seems to be there. Do not waste your time complaining to me or my manager. Although you think we are unscrupulous thieves who have somehow stolen your money from you, the truth is we had nothing to do with it and you need to take it up with your bank. No you can't get any freebies, no we won't give you a discount. This is not our fault. No, you can't get anyone fired for this. CALL YOUR BANK.
      The only problem with that is, doesn't really matter which sign you put up - most SC's won't read it anyway

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The ironic part of that sign, I worked for a bank. We were trained to tell the customer that those holds are placed by the gas station.

Bit by bit I am starting to understand the rage. I almost feel back. almost
        Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
        Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

With at least the credit card company I worked for, the hold IS placed by the gas station. And it can be removed before the 8-12 business days IF the GAS STATION calls the authorization number (often right there on the machine in case they need to get a verbal authorization) and give their merchant number and ask authorizations to cancel the hold. ONLY the merchant can cancel it. This prevents dishonest card members from calling and cancelling legitimate holds and charges. The credit card company can't as this could cause a merchant not to be paid for a legit charge. But most gas stations don't let regular cashiers know their merchant number, and the cashiers assume it is held by the card, so everyone is frustrated

Comment

I went to Citgo the other day, and the hold was only $1. I guess it was just to make sure the card worked.
            "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

The screens on the pumps at my preferred local station tells you how much you are authorized for. Meaning if you only have $10 in your account, the pump shuts off at $10.

Comment

The pumps at my local station have pre-authorised settings (20, 40, 60, fill) but I always choose fill because, while it automatically stops at your selected amount, it takes FOREVER to fill that last dollar. It's ridiculously slow. I haven't actually timed it but it felt like about a minute.

Comment

That is awesome, I wish I could that to people who cancel orders after their card has been charged.
                  The angels have the phone box.

Comment

The pumps at the station i work at will pre auth you for the cutoff limit (there is none for diesel, but regular petrol $125) if you dont have that much or more you will be declined and forced to come in and bitch at me.....
                    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                      The ironic part of that sign, I worked for a bank. We were trained to tell the customer that those holds are placed by the gas station.
                      The call-out for the hold is made by the merchant. The time the hold is held is determined by the processor that stands between the merchant and the bank, and should be dropped when the related charge is processed - my understanding is that the merchant is responsible for what processor they use. The bank itself really has no control over the hold or when it drops and their systems are just waiting on the processor to give them the info they need to handle the transaction.

Most front-line clerks at the merchants have no idea that there even is a processor between them and the bank, so they blame the bank, instead, because once the charge has gone through, the merchant is as out of the loop as the bank. Although, as mentioned, since the merchant is the customer of the processor, the merchant can call their customer service department and get it worked on.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X