This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Story: Heads (almost) Roll

Hi, this is my first story to share, so I hope I do it right. I saw this one happen from a distance, but the co-pilot filled me in later.

The customers were going for a regular photo tour, and took a bunch of pics before even getting in. At one point, which is what I saw, the one with the big camera was kneeling in front and snapping pics. The co-pilot and pilot were ready to start up, but had to stop for him and then the co-pilot went out to ask him to move. See, the blades are really heavy and at slow speeds don't travel in a straight line. Where the camera guy was kneeling was right in the plane of rotation. The co-pilot said he was stubborn until it was explained the blade could give him a haircut.

As a sidenote; this was maybe a month or so after that model walked into a propeller.

I am assuming the model in question is Lauren Scruggs, who recently appeared on the Today show.

“Even though I’ve lost my left eye, I’ve just realized the Lord has a strong purpose in it, and I need to use that,” Scruggs said.
    To illustrate why you're not loved for your mind?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yea, I didn't remember her name. She made us go through sooo much safety meetings after that.

Comment

Welcome to Customers suck, Whirly Bird!

Yeah, that model... argh. And anyone stupid enough to walk into a spinning prop or get in range of a rotor. What part of "engine on = prop/rotor spinning" did she not understand? She's just giving all the smart blondes a bad name.

...and I'll take a Waco UPF-7 any day! <sob> I lost my ticket in '95.
        I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
        - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
          ...and I'll take a Waco UPF-7 any day! <sob> I lost my ticket in '95.
          Those have to fly through the air; we beat the air into submission!

Thanks for the welcome

Comment

People have trouble understanding that you shoudln't lean yourself toward spinning propellers?!

Yeah...that model should have won a Darwin award instead of losing an eye.
            Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
            Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I more than once had to body slam someone to the ground when they refused to listen when I told them to STOP, the plane is MOVING. One idiot got away from us and got blown over by a jet powering up. That was a fun day.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
                I more than once had to body slam someone to the ground when they refused to listen when I told them to STOP, the plane is MOVING. One idiot got away from us and got blown over by a jet powering up. That was a fun day.
                Wow! Mind I ask what kind of jets you work on?

Comment

We serviced any kind that came through, civilian or military.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post

Yeah...that model should have won a Darwin award instead of losing an eye.
                    Darwin Awards are given posthumously.

Seeing as it's (at least IMHO) rather ditzy to walk into a rotating propeller, that young woman should at least get an Honorable Mention.

All joking aside, she's very lucky to have survived.
                    Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 08-12-2012, 06:40 PM.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

technically, Darwin Awards are unable to reproduce. So if the idiocy renders said person sterile...

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        They do give out Honorable Mentions for people like our starlet up there who committed a Terminally Act of Stupidity and survived anyway.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Seeing as it's (at least IMHO) rather ditzy to walk into a rotating propeller, that young woman should at least get an Honorable Mention.

All joking aside, she's very lucky to have survived.
                          haha I know, DGC. I was implying that should should have been killed instead of losing an eye. I would never wish anyone dead, but the message changed.

Killed by Propeller= Don't be an idiot or you can die
                          Lost eye to a propeller= Be an idiot! You will get a lot of TV time.
                          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

If I recall correctly, there was a Darwin story of a guy who worked on an airfield and one day walked through the area of a slowly spinning prop with no problems, suddenly realised he shouldn't have done that and turned around to go back.

He got brained second time around.
                            Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

with a name like "Whirly_bird" that explains it all.

I was thinking you were talking about airplanes vs choppers but o yeah. My first flight in a chopper we were given the safety brief and one of the ATs (aviation electronic technicians) explained to us that yes indeed, the blades CAN touch the deck, so to be VERY careful and only move when we were told to.

Oh and if we crashed into the ocean to not inflate our flotation vests until exiting cos they wouldn't fit through the doors.

Comment

Working...
                              X