This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for not listening

House of crap sells a lot of things, but one thing I really don't like is huge tv's that sometimes go on sale.

So for these very large tv's, we don't ship by our regular shipper, it goes through a freight shipper. It takes longer, and most importantly, like our main shipper, they don't bring it inside, and they do not set it up. They only take it your front door if you live in a house. Otherwise it goes to the lobby of the building, rental office, etc. So that can suck because then you have to shlep this behemoth back to your home, across the property, upstairs, etc.

So this guy calls up, and I tell the big long spiel about the above. He says ok. I give give him the total, and then he says, "That includes set up right?"

"No sir", I tell him, "We do not provide set up, our shippers are not installers, and cannot assume the liability of installing it, I recommend call around in your city to locate a tv installer."

"At big yellow price tag includes set up" Pretty sure they don't "You need to have a lists of stores I can call and ask. I shouldn't have to work this hard for this"

"I am sorry sir, but we would be unable to maintain a list for all 48 states this can ship to of every company that installs tv's they didn't sell."

He then continued to huff and puff and then ok'd the order, before I process I remind him of the delivery time frame of 21 days.

"21 days?!!?!eleventy"
    "Yes sir, this is a large product and as such must be shipped by freight, and that can take time"
    "Cancel it, I need it by Friday" Click
    The day he called in was Monday. The only tv's that could possibly be shipped that fast, are normal sized flat screens, not 60"+ DLP types. Even then, it costs at least 150 more for that service.

Another weird order I placed for a larger tv of that type was when the customer didn't want to pay sales tax. She had the great idea to ship it to Delaware, where there is no sales tax, to an apartment, and then take it to her house. I verify that she understands that someone has to be there to take the tv up to the apartment from the lobby as they won't take it any farther than that.

She bought it and after I was done with her I was thinking whatever you saved in sales tax, you are going to lose renting a van to take this huge tv unless you know someone that has a truck.
    Last edited by starsinthesky; 08-16-2012, 01:59 AM.
    The angels have the phone box.

Quoth starsinthesky View Post
    after I was done with her I was thinking whatever you saved in sales tax, you are going to lose renting a van to take this huge tv unless you know someone that has a truck.
    Some people will do anything to save a few bucks. I know one company I wanted to order from sent me an invoice with a delivery fee of twice the price of the item. So my friend suggested we drive to the closest store for that company. That is 1250km away. The gas would cost a lot more than the shipping would.
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
      Some people will do anything to save a few bucks. I know one company I wanted to order from sent me an invoice with a delivery fee of twice the price of the item. So my friend suggested we drive to the closest store for that company. That is 1250km away. The gas would cost a lot more than the shipping would.
      Pretty much this.

Sometimes we plan out purchases simply by price-checking not just the cost of the item, but by the sales tax as well. One of the popular online-ordering companies has a distribution center in our state so we have to pay sales taxes on anything we get from them. For small items it's pittance but for bigger items it can be enough to make us consider checking out other sites first.

It's also the same reason why some people swarm around a certain big-chain store that's right inside my state's border. Our taxes are lower than the next state over (and some items we don't tax while the other state does), so people *will* drive the extra miles just for the difference.

I myself am thinking of ordering something big from my <former store> website for delivery vs going across the border to the <store> for the same reason. They're in every state so I'll still pay taxes on it no matter what, but since my state's got the lower rate it may save me some $$$ to order it from them vs getting in store.
      Last edited by PepperElf; 08-16-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Oh boy, the customer who believes the laws of physics do not apply to them, especially when they don't adequately plan. Sounds like he'll need to phone God for a miracle to find ANYONE who will deliver and set up/install all that shit that quickly. By the by, I can tell you with certainty that set up with the big yellow price tag is NOT complimentary. I never, ever understood this expectation when customers complained about our delivery people. The drivers would plug everything in to make sure the item or items power on, but would do fuck all as far as mounts, connecting stuff together, etc as they are not equipped NOR PAID to do such a service. If the salesperson had set up that expectation, they were permanently on the shit list of everyone who had to deal with the aftermath...

Comment

The whole concept of "just in time" shipping/purchasing seems to have led some people to believe that stores can just conjure up anything they want at any time they want it.

Comment

Quoth starsinthesky View Post
            He then continued to huff and puff and then ok'd the order, before I process I remind him of the delivery time frame of 21 days.
            The guy was a douchebag, to be sure, but 21 days does seem like an awfully long time. We sometimes (maybe a couple of times a month) do freight shipments, and the pickup is usually the next day.

But unless he was pretty close, having something that big set-up and ready to go within 4 days is a major pipe dream.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              The guy was a douchebag, to be sure, but 21 days does seem like an awfully long time. We sometimes (maybe a couple of times a month) do freight shipments, and the pickup is usually the next day.

But unless he was pretty close, having something that big set-up and ready to go within 4 days is a major pipe dream.

^-.-^
              I'm guessing 21 days is a CYA thing. Most shipments probably arrive considerably sooner.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                I'm guessing 21 days is a CYA thing. Most shipments probably arrive considerably sooner.
                It is, and it is 21 days including weekends, and of course depends on where it is going to, most items that a ground shipped normally deliver within 10 days, and this huge tv had free shipping.
                The angels have the phone box.

Comment

Free shipping? For a huge TV? He can get bent.

He wants it faster, then he can shell out for it.

And he's still not going to have it set up and ready to go within 4 days.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If he's going to play "I want it now!", then why wouldn't he just go shopping at one of his local stores? Then he could have it, same day, with no shipping charge.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I'm assuming OP is in North America. An expeditor team with a Sprinter or Cube Van could get it from anywhere in Canada (provinces, not territories) or the (lower 48) U.S. to anywhere else in Canada or the U.S. (same restrictions apply) in 4 days. Of course, that would involve hiring the team to deliver that ONE piece of freight, so the customer would be looking at freight charges of at least a buck and a half a mile from the warehouse to his house.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X