This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A warning: Superbuyers

So I worked for the place known for the orange aprons a few months ago (only for a month-they switched my employment from permanent part-time to temp without telling me. I understand why they switched it-Due to California's legislation, big box retailers have to hire X amount of people each year. However, since people who are hired tend to stick around longer than that, that means that they have to get rid of a lot of people, so what they do is they hire a whole slew of people to keep up with the quota, then switch them to temporary employment and terminate all of them, except one or two if they actually have room) and I had to deal with a lot of situations-the Hispanic family that brought up a bunch of stuff that they had clearly removed from the packaging themselves and demanding discounts for the 'used' items (the supervisor, being wise to this tactic, merely went and got them brand new ones still in the packaging, saying we couldn't give discounts on new items for no reason, and that we very rarely have anything used), pretending not to speak English and then speaking it just fine as they're leaving, after finally having paid for what little they did actually decide to purchase, the guy who almost dropped a huge piece of lumber on my head since he insisted on carrying it himself, the ones who put lumber in regular carts instead of getting a lumber cart, nearly hurting themselves and a lot of other people which of course wasn't THEIR fault, it was clearly the fault of the store for having let them put lumber in the wrong cart!...and a lot of other stupidity. One of the most irritating things I ever encountered, however, were the 'super buyers'.

Some idiots decided that, since they evidently shop here a lot and spend a lot of money here (working in construction, I suppose) that they have earned the title 'super buyers' and are thus worthy of substantial discounts on anything they buy. I fell for it once the first week I worked there-I was going to call a manager, but one of my co-workers who had been there a lot longer than me said that it was okay, just punch in the discount for them, they're legitimate. So, I did. I was rather confused at the fact that the so-called "Super Buyers" had no card or any kind of identification marking them as such, nor had I been informed of "Super Buyers" during training-but if my co-worker who was above me said it was cool, I wasn't going to argue. I should have. I really should have. A twenty percent discount on a substantial amount of lumber and construction supplies ended up being a pretty hefty sum. After they'd left a manager came by to check on me and asked how I was doing, if there were any questions I had so far, ect. (Gotta give them props on this, they did try to take care of me) and I explained what had happened and asked why I hadn't heard of super buyers before. The expression on his face quickly went from cheerful to exasperated-evidently, these same guys had pulled this before.

He explained to me that there was no such thing as super buyers, that it was just a self-given title a bunch of EW yokels had given themselves and insisted on being treated like royalty at the store for, trying to get things at discounts they didn't deserve. When he asked me who had okayed it, I explained that a coworker had told me it was okay, so I just did what I was told. He ended up talking to us both, telling us to never fall for that again. My coworker genuinely hadn't known about it and was almost in tears, and was worried that I would get in trouble for her mistake. The manager assured us that we weren't in trouble, since this had been done to almost every newbie at least once, but warned us to always call a manager in the future if they tried it again.

Sure enough, the same EW's showed up in my line again with a huge cartload, demanding their 20% off. I told them that I needed to check with a manager. They once again tried the "Oh, it's okay, we're Super Buyers. You don't need to call the manager." Angry with what they'd been pulling, and evidently never having been confronted with before, I looked them straight in the eye and said firmly that for a discount that big on that much merchandise, I would have to get a manager's approval. I picked up the phone to page for a manager, and they quickly changed their minds, saying they were in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for a manager, just ring it up at normal price, no need to worry about the discount this time since they simply didn't have the time to wait.

After they left I called up the manager and let him know that they'd pulled the same thing-but now we had their information, as they'd used a company account card to pay, connected to their boss's name and number, with their names in the system for that particular card.

I'm sure my manager had some choice words for their boss.

Good, I hope their employer reams them out, unless he/she was the one who encouraged them to save as much money as possible!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

ok so this happens to almost every newbie and it costs the store 20% and they didn't warn you about it ahead of time?
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
        ok so this happens to almost every newbie and it costs the store 20% and they didn't warn you about it ahead of time?
        Yeah, I was questioning that too. Evidently they just didn't think to warn us, which is pretty shoddy of them if you ask me. That probably cost the company several hundred, if not thousand, dollars.

Comment

and combined with your opening comments... this means there's always a lot of new employees there who don't know about the scam. i'm betting these super-scammers are banking on that as much as they can.

Comment

Quoth Clover View Post
            Yeah, I was questioning that too. Evidently they just didn't think to warn us, which is pretty shoddy of them if you ask me. That probably cost the company several hundred, if not thousand, dollars.
            They could have avoided a lot of those losses by actually implementing the excuse the OP made the second time the "Super Buyers" came through. Have the system automatically flag any discounts over X amount for manager approval. Then even if the newbie doesn't know to watch for the "Super Buyer", the loss/discount would be minimized.

Comment

In the OPs case, I understand why she did it, since her coworker said to go ahead, but I wonder who told coworker it was acceptable?

I agree with another poster, perhaps the system shouldn't allow a discount over X percent without a manager's code or key.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                I'd believe it. They never tell the n00bies how to know when a customer is BSing them to get a deal.

They just tell them "the customer is boss, we believe in giving the best customer service EVAR."
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'll bet they charge the final construction client full price for the supplies and pocket the difference!
                  I no longer fear HELL.
                  I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Thats why a good client or good financial person for the client requests ALL documentation.

Comment

Quoth Clover View Post
                      After they left I called up the manager and let him know that they'd pulled the same thing-but now we had their information, as they'd used a company account card to pay, connected to their boss's name and number, with their names in the system for that particular card.
                      Quoth Enjis View Post
                      I'll bet they charge the final construction client full price for the supplies and pocket the difference!
                      I was thinking about that today. They did not use the company account when the got the discount. Makes me think they they were forging the receipts and pocketing the difference. "Boss, we bought the supplies at XYZ and got them for 5% than at Orange Apron.

That call to their boss could be interesting.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                      X