This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sympathize with you

because I have low blood sugar and I know diabetics can struggle with that. But every time you come here you are just dying and impatient. I get the fear of passing out and such. So maybe you should plan ahead. You know you have this condition. Maybe your workplace doesn't have a refrigerator, but there are insulated lunch bags. You can bring one. I do.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    because I have low blood sugar and I know diabetics can struggle with that. But every time you come here you are just dying and impatient. I get the fear of passing out and such. So maybe you should plan ahead. You know you have this condition. Maybe your workplace doesn't have a refrigerator, but there are insulated lunch bags. You can bring one. I do.
    How often is this happening?! This really does show a bad control of their blood sugars. My dad (who's diabetic) used to control his sugars too well if you'll believe that, and that used to make him go "low" a lot - but he'd never dream of being so unprepared even once. The consequences are pretty bad for diabetics
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Isn't letting yourself get too low and then bringing it back up to "safe" range too rapidly, too often, just as dangerous? I thought not modulating and controlling your blood sugar so you don't have those violent shifts was quite damaging?

I don't know much about diabetes, but I do know a couple friends who are always very careful to keep in mind how long it has been since they ate, and what they ate last.

@Rose:

I... uh... read your signature as "dick" rather than "disk."
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        Isn't letting yourself get too low and then bringing it back up to "safe" range too rapidly, too often, just as dangerous? I thought not modulating and controlling your blood sugar so you don't have those violent shifts was quite damaging?
        Dealing with the gestational at the moment, but yes. Letting yourself get too low and then TRYING to bring it up to "safe" can be dangerous. In my case, the attempt usually means I spike into the 250's (and I need to stay at the 130's or less) even with the carbs carefully counted. It's just the body is already trying to adjust and create the sugars you need, so you're adding more to the issue, rather than actually helping.

So, I am told I need to try eating several smaller meals or snacks every two hours (mine is controlled via diet and exercise). Since I know that life sometimes hates plans, I also carry an emergency Ensure in my purse just in case. That was also a suggestion by the dietician, bless her. It counts as a meal as far as my blood sugars go and keeps me from spiking at my next meal time.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
          Dealing with the gestational at the moment, but yes..
          I learned something today.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
            So, I am told I need to try eating several smaller meals or snacks every two hours.
            My Gran and her brother also developed diabeties as adults, she was pretty good with things, he was awful. His wife used to keep sugar cubes on top of the telly, every time he raised his voice to her, she told him to go to the TV and eat sugar. :-)

Comment

Working...
            X