This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sofar View Post
    What is a chavette anyway? I know that name as an economy car from the late seventies.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...v+%2F+Chavette
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chavette

Seems a primarily UK phenomenon, though rude gits are worldwide.

Quoth Fera Festiva View Post
    Underlord: Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say that out loud.
    Posh lady (kindly): That's perfectly all right. You've just been called a cunt.
    Fortunately, cool people are also a worldwide phenomenon!
    Last edited by XCashier; 03-17-2007, 02:46 AM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      Seems a primarily UK phenomenon, though rude gits are worldwide.
      Yeah, here we just have trailer trash. Essentially the same level of stupidity and disrespect, but the accent's much less interesting.
      Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

Or rather we HAVE chavs, but more like proto-chavs. They have just enormous thick necks, popped collars, are dressed for a rap video, and do this thing where they shake their hands back and forth, holding their thumb and middle finger together and letting the rest of their fingers go limp, simulating a finger-snap sound. I wish I could find a video of it, it's hard to describe.
        "Sir, I'm afraid that our warranty does not cover hauntings"

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
          What is a chavette anyway?
          Technically, though the definition rarely applies any more, CHAV stands for Council Housed And Violent and was used for kids or adults who were housed by the council, often living off benefits, and are unpleasant or violent.

How this has become a fashion trend I have no idea whatsoever. The only advantage is all of their 'bling' glints nicely in a sniper rifle scope.
          Proactive Karma Engineer

Comment

I'm in my 50's but I consider myself to be pretty up to date on the way people speak, even the younger generations as I have sons that are barely out of their teens. I speak 3 languages, 2 fluently and one I can get by with if spoken slowly. Through working and interacting on the net, I have even learned chat-speak. However I was riding the bus back from Pittsburgh to my hometown a few days ago, sitting in front of this couple in their late teens that I would best describe as Goth. In the hour I listened to them speak to one another, I couldn't make out one thing they were talking about. Nothing! The one thing I am certain of is this. My father was just as befuddled when I was telling him things were groovy cause I was hanging at the commune, or Jive cause someone stole my stash.
            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth Mr B Rabbit View Post
              Technically, though the definition rarely applies any more, CHAV stands for Council Housed And Violent and was used for kids or adults who were housed by the council, often living off benefits, and are unpleasant or violent.
              *Clears throat* The linguistics student in me feels compelled to point out that the accepted etymology of "chav" is a derivation from a Romani word meaning "child", and that "Council House and Violent" is an acronym which sprang up after the word originally surfaced (see this Wikipedia page for the details). I must also point out that I am an insufferable nerd.

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
              However I was riding the bus back from Pittsburgh to my hometown a few days ago, sitting in front of this couple in their late teens that I would best describe as Goth. In the hour I listened to them speak to one another, I couldn't make out one thing they were talking about.
              The Underlord would probably tell you they must have been Emos, because Goths would have been talking about literature or, alternatively, vodka brands.
              Me non rogo, hic modo laboro.

Comment

Quoth Fera Festiva View Post
                Chavette 2: Yeah but, they're like the same fuckin' fing innit!
                Underlord: No. We have been around for much longer. And our music is significantly better.
                Indeed the music is better.

Comment

Where I live, people like that are called "Bogans".
                  Some days I just want to chase the customer around with a big book with teeth. D:

Comment

Quoth darkcrimsongoth View Post
                    Where I live, people like that are called "Bogans".
                    We have to settle for "idiots", "assholes," or "We weren't that bad when we were young, right?"

(Or, alternately, "No, not bellbottoms/poofy hairdoos/leisure siut/etc again! Didn't people learn from our mistakes?)

Comment

Working...
                    X