• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it still goes on.

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
    Truthfully it is very common...

::fires up the way back machine::

For 3 years, my wife and I ran our own computer repair business out of our home before we moved to St Louis, and it was amazing the things people wanted me to fix. I would tell people that if it was not a computer or printer or a pc accessory, that Caveat emptor was in effect and there were not warranties or guarantees. About 60-70% of the time I fixed the vcr, dvd player or vacuum and people were happy. The rest I would tell them that I couldnt fix it and there was no charge. Since I stuck by my motto of "If we dont fix it, you dont pay", most people were okay with it.

It was always a wild ride....
    The real problem are the people who expect to not ever having to pay because they are relatives or friends of a relative or some other relationship with you.

See: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=92437

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      1. I'm not a mechanic, I do not have the skills to diagnose or fix what's wrong with your car
      Out of curiosity, if a car just needed a jump start, would you have the skills and jumper cables for that?

(The last time my car needed a jump start, the place I found in the phone book dispatched a tow truck for that purpose. I guess that would have been a handy Plan B if the car had needed more than a jump start.)

Comment

When I say they expect a "fix" I mean "The engine seems to be halfway out from under the hood, send someone over to fix that so I can get on my way, I'm already 15 minutes late and don't want to be any later" kinda things.

Gimmie a little credit, I CAN jump start a car. Which leads to my next big complaint.

If the motor IS halfway out from under the hood, a jump won't fix it. Too many folks seem to think that anytime the motor won't start when the key is turned, then a quick jump start will remedy it. And if the jump doesn't take, you need to have someone look at it, which leads me right back to the above problem, that person who needs to "look at it" needs to be someone else, not me, because I'm not a mechanic. Since I'm here with my truck I can TAKE you to a mechanic, but I can't do it myself.

You cannot "trick" me into fixing your car by calling me out for a jump when you know or suspect that it won't work. I had one person get furious at me because if the jump didn't work It'd have to be towed, quoth: "I expected you to bring some tools!"

I was kinda hoping THAT jump wouldn't take, in retrospect, I'm glad it did.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I'm a locksmiths. People expect me to repair/jump their cars all the time.

They call us out to make keys to the car, which they lost, oh, 2/3/5 years ago. Cars been sitting in the back covered in weeds ever since. I hack my way through the jungle, and make a key that will turn every lock on that car. But of course it won't start, because the battery is deader than a door nail or has been removed completely.

Then I get: "I ain't paying for dat. De car's not startin'"

I won't even argue with them anymore. I hand them a copy of the invoice, point out the shop address and tell them the keys will at the shop. They can pick them up there with payment of $xx. and turn around and leave.

First guy that did that to me, argued with me for over and hour. We just kept going round and round.
          "De car's not startin'"
          "But the key turns, see."
          "But de car's not startin'"
          "Because the battery is dead"
          "Keys turn, but the battery is dead."
          .................................................. ............. (I couldn't even get the van near enough to the car, which was sitting in a marsh of a back yard, to jump it if I wanted to)

Boss got all in a tiffy, because it took too long to make the key, since 1/2 of the total time was the arguing. Now I just hand boss the inv and keys "Here, you argue with them."

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post

I won't even argue with them anymore. I hand them a copy of the invoice, point out the shop address and tell them the keys will at the shop. They can pick them up there with payment of $xx. and turn around and leave.

First guy that did that to me, argued with me for over and hour. We just kept going round and round.
            "De car's not startin'"
            "But the key turns, see."
            "Because the battery is dead"
            "Keys turn, but the battery is dead."
            .................................................. ............. (I couldn't even get the van near enough to the car, which was sitting in a marsh of a back yard, to jump it if I wanted to)

Boss got all in a tiffy, because it took too long to make the key, since 1/2 of the total time was the arguing. Now I just hand boss the inv and keys "Here, you argue with them."
            That sounds like the same SC's who would call the grocery store I worked at years ago and demand we fix their cable nownownowNOW.

All because they were too stupid to pay attention to the last 2 digits of the phone number (the store ended with 0288 while Cable Company ended with 0200.)

At least with those idiots we could hang up on them if they got too verbal.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I hear ya.
              Our shop phone number is one number of from the local pharmacy.

I get: "Whatta ya mean I can't get a refill on them pain pills? Blarghle, blarghle" All.the.time.

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                While I can not say for all cases, I have a theory for those people who physically walk into the shop.

It's the SC being a stubborn jackass.
                I had a "wonderful" case of this just yesterday.

Someone, in all of their wisdom, decided to drive an hour and a half to a physical store to buy a part for his computer. This is a part you can buy online for stupid cheap and get it shipped to your doorstop, frequently for no extra charge.

Rather than call anyone or check it out online, he decided to drive an hour and a half there, and another hour and a half back.

Turns out he bought the wrong part, because he didn't ask anyone, nor did he do any research at it. So then he finally calls us, beyond furious about it, and expects us to fix it for him that very day.

I work for the manufacturer of the product. The parts are made in Taiwan. Person lived in the states. We have no offices within probably 1,000 miles of where he lives. He didn't buy it direct from us, nor ask for us assistance (which is free and we do readily provide compatibility guides!), nor ask us which part to buy, nor did he do any research on the topic, nor did he even ask anyone at the store he drove a total of three hours there and back again.

Yet somehow its all our fault.

That one was fun.

And yes, he continually emphasized just how long he drove to get to the store. I even checked his address. He lives in a major US city. Surely there is at least one store in an entire major US city! I have no idea why or even how he sat in a car burning gas for 3 hours.

Comment

I used to love when I worked in retail, and someone would pull the "But I drove all the way from _____!" card. Except it would often be a town like fifteen minutes away. That was about how long I commuted to work, so they didn't get any sympathy from me.

Comment

...yeah.

"But you can sew! Surely you can make a Halloween costume for my baby/dog! Altering a wedding dress is easy, besides I already told her you would do it!"

And of course they want it for free.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
                      The SCs of the world won't stop till they've exhausted every angle. How about, "Well, how much WOULD you charge me if you DID fix brand X?"
                      Well, first I'll need about fifty grand to purchase a vehicle that we DO actually work on, then an extra ten grand for me to mess with it until the problem you described on YOUR car is replicated, and two hundred to actually fix that problem on the car you just bought.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

At the risk of going a bit off-topic, years ago my old VCR began chewing up tapes. I phoned Sony and they gave me the address of the closest approved repair shop which happened to be in the next town. Now I don't drive but it was only a 20 minute walk away so I boxed up the machine and set off.

About half way there I saw two guys talking to another in the street with a small portable TV on the ground. As I approached, one of the guys came over and stopped me. Turns out that the 2 guys were plain-clothes police officers and we talking part in a drive to cut down on burglary in the area. After a few questions and bit of checking both me and the TV guy were allowed to go on our way.

Always struck me as funny that they were patrolling the area looking for burglars and within a minute of each other they come across a guy with a TV under his arm and then someone with a VCR. And best of all, no suck on either side at any point.

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                          I hear ya.
                          Our shop phone number is one number of from the local pharmacy.

I get: "Whatta ya mean I can't get a refill on them pain pills? Blarghle, blarghle" All.the.time.
                          I had that game to play at the ready mix concrete depot. We were 482000 and 482888, and 482800 was a local taxi firm. Local pissheads (well, who else is drunk at 2pm?) would call most Fridays, the record 4 times in a row.

Even though we had to answer the phone as "Good afternoon, xxx concrete order centre" I'd still have to spend far, far too much time explaining that we're not sending a truck to pick anyone up from anywhere, and have no taxis at our disposal.

Comment

Working...
                          X