Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not so much an inability to read as much as a refusal...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so much an inability to read as much as a refusal...

A collection of recent suckery:

We've all encountered people who just can't read, or just don't notice signage, stickers, labels, coupons, etc etc. Its one of the major Laws of Suck, is it not, that Sucky Customers will inevitably miss the important signs and things that are there to help them and make our lives easier?

These two incidents took place today, at my checkout, and involved two very different SCs, with different transactions...both held a common theme. It was not a case of missing clearly marked signs or anything like that.

It was utter refusal to read.

Plasterboard Bastard (a.k.a, Potentially Abusive Husband)
    The plasterboard we sell does not have barcode stickers that we can scan. However, on one edge, the barcode number is printed. I just type that into my till and its fine. So, on a big pallet thingy, this couple come along with several bits of plasterboard. If you imagine its being propped up by 2 metal bars, with the boards angled away from me and my till, thats pretty much how it was. So anyway, the man I could already tell was probably not very pleasant anyway, and he tells me there's no barcode, and I say that they're printed on the edges. Of course, he's annoyed to find that he's loaded the boards so that all but one have their barcode-edge on the BOTTOM. He starts to angle the boards to lean on the bar opposite me, but due to their height and interference from other the other boards, I still could not see the one barcode.

So I said the unthinkable.

"You're going to have to read the barcode out for me I'm afraid, I still can't see it, I'll type it as you read it out."

This set him off.

"What!? Why should I have to read it out to you!?"

I blinked. "Um, because I can't see it from here."

"Well you CAN'T MOVE, can you!?" (sarcastically).

"I can move, but it wouldn't make any difference, I'd have to come around there to read it, and come back to type it." (I can't remember a number that long!)

"Yeah, right, so you're saying that scanner of yours can't scan this!?"

He's all but shouting during all this. I started to explain "That isn't a scannable barcode, I have to type it-"

But his wife, bless her, has already noticed it isn't a scannable barcode, and has started to read it out to me. We've actually accidentally interrupted each other, so I assume the bastard is actually shouting at me when he snaps;

"OH SHUT UP!"

After this, a colleague stepped in and everything was concluded. I was actually quite shaken and had tears in my eyes, and I said how the shouting had bothered me. That was when my colleague said "I thought he was shouting at his wife actually!"

Which, in hindsight, he could possibly have been! Which probably makes him even more of an arsehole. If Bear ever spoke to me like that, I'd kick him in the nuts (but he wouldn't anyway, so its a moot point).

"False Advertising" Bastard
    A snobby customer comes through, gets some stuff, including a pack of batteries. The total sounds off to him, so I read through whats what, and when we come to the batteries, we find our problem. Its come up at £9.98, and he insists it was £5.something. Fortunately, the battery stand is right next to my checkout, so I come out to check myself. On top of some slightly different but same brand batteries, are about half-a-dozen of the £9.98 packs. The label does say £5.something (I really can't remember what the something was), but our labels also have very clear barcodes printed on them. Now of course, we know SCs have a tendency to miss these...

I compared the barcodes and said "Well, unfortunately, the label isn't for these packs, its for the ones on the bottom, right behind the label. the barcode doesn't match so I can't mark it down for you."

"Well, I'll let it go this time, but this is false advertising you know."

"It's not really," I said politely, but assertively. "The barcodes are printed there so you can compare and be certain of what its actually referring to."

He said; "I'm a CUSTOMER! I don't read BARCODES!"

On both of these occassions, I really wanted to say "Why, is reading too difficult for you?" (In the case of the first one, fear held me back!). I just bit my tongue, let him "chastise" me and carried on.

But jesus, I actually check barcodes to be sure when I'm out shopping, but of course, we're asking far too much of SC's to read anything! But still, there's still quite a difference between just being unobservant or not-noticing the small print, and outright refusing to read something clearly printed in front of you -___-

Bonus Sucks

Poodle needs to poo!
    I was briefly at the front of the store, when we saw a lady dragging a little brown poodle on a leash who was walking very awkwardly. Clearly, this puppy need to go, because he was doing that strange bow-legged walk...and pop, out comes a bit of poo! In our store!

You can't blame the dog...a dog that is being dragged along but is still clearly trying to squat is not a dog who can hold it in!

(Ideally, we don't let non-guide dogs walk in the store anyway, they have to be carried or in a trolley, its for their safety as much as anything else).

My colleague managed to flag down the ignorant woman (how did she not notice!?) and made her pick the poo up.

Later, when I was back on checkout, the same lady and poodle came through. Her poodle was in her arms, whining and whimpering, clearly very scared. I put on a baby voice and said "Aww whassamatter little guy? You alright? You scared?" He did the sad wiffle-nose and sniffed my finger...friendly but frightened. The owner just says dismissively "yeah he doesn't like it in here, he's scared!"

No wonder the poor guy pooped himself! I can't help but think bringing him into the store was a bad idea all round, he's clearly a shy, nervous pup! I would say she should have left him in the car, but she's probably stupid enough to leave all the windows up and park in direct sunlight -_____-

Unintentional Suck, but you shouldn't grab strangers!
    This guy apologised, but to be honest he should have known better anyway.

Some of you who saw my Sightings post may know that I was recently the victim of a minor sexual assault...I was grabbed by the breast in public by a man who made sure I didn't see his face properly. I have been a little bit jumpy and nervous since then. I have been very careful about drinking (with the exception of my close friends' party, I got quite drunk but only because I felt so safe) and the other day I was approached by a very scummy looking man who was eyeing me up and down and telling me I looked sexy. I was so perturbed I hid in my mum's store until he was gone (the staff know me, and said it was ok).

I was serving an old couple, and one of the plants they bought was this very unusual fluffy cactus! It was spiky, but also covered in pale fluff, like cat fur! I joked how maybe there was a very sore, bald cat out there somewhere, which produced a few friendly chuckles. I scanned the cactus and put it down.

The old man picked up the cactus, then (jokingly), grabbed me quite forcefully by the shoulder and held the cactus up, enough of a distance away from my face that I knew after a split second he meant no harm, but made a fast motion that startled me, and joked "Gimme all the money!"

I jumped quite badly, which made him laugh, and I felt very embarrassed. I mean, he was clearly not going to shove the cactus in the my face, but the abrupt grab on the shoulder had scared me, and his movement was very quick.

So I decided to explain why I was so jumpy, to which he seemed to feel very bad, and apologised, and said he hoped I'd be able to overcome it soon.

Bless him for apologising, but it was minorly sucky to grab a stranger quite so firmly in the first place.*

(*Unless, you know, you're saving them from getting hit by a car or something!).

Last person who grabbed me on the shoulder without me "knowing" it was going to happen got their wrist bent and punched in the neck (I was aiming for the face). It's a reflex from dealing with druggies (medic) and hubby teaching me combatives.

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
      *snip*

"False Advertising" Bastard
      *snip*
      "Well, I'll let it go this time, but this is false advertising you know."

"It's not really," I said politely, but assertively. "The barcodes are printed there so you can compare and be certain of what its actually referring to."

On both of these occassions, I really wanted to say "Why, is reading too difficult for you?" (In the case of the first one, fear held me back!). I just bit my tongue, let him "chastise" me and carried on.

But jesus, I actually check barcodes to be sure when I'm out shopping, but of course, we're asking far too much of SC's to read anything! But still, there's still quite a difference between just being unobservant or not-noticing the small print, and outright refusing to read something clearly printed in front of you -___-
      If barcodes are what I think they are, I can't read them either, and a lot of stores don't provide scanners for customers to use. However, a mistake is a mistake ... not false advertising. If he didn't want to pay the actual price he should've bought some cheaper batteries or just put them back.

Bonus Sucks

Poodle needs to poo!
      *snip*

Later, when I was back on checkout, the same lady and poodle came through. Her poodle was in her arms, whining and whimpering, clearly very scared. I put on a baby voice and said "Aww whassamatter little guy? You alright? You scared?" He did the sad wiffle-nose and sniffed my finger...friendly but frightened. The owner just says dismissively "yeah he doesn't like it in here, he's scared!"

No wonder the poor guy pooped himself! I can't help but think bringing him into the store was a bad idea all round, he's clearly a shy, nervous pup! I would say she should have left him in the car, but she's probably stupid enough to leave all the windows up and park in direct sunlight -_____-
      Some people shouldn't own plastic plants, much less something living.

Unintentional Suck, but you shouldn't grab strangers!
      This guy apologised, but to be honest he should have known better anyway.

Some of you who saw my Sightings post may know that I was recently the victim of a minor sexual assault...I was grabbed by the breast in public by a man who made sure I didn't see his face properly. I have been a little bit jumpy and nervous since then. I have been very careful about drinking (with the exception of my close friends' party, I got quite drunk but only because I felt so safe) and the other day I was approached by a very scummy looking man who was eyeing me up and down and telling me I looked sexy. I was so perturbed I hid in my mum's store until he was gone (the staff know me, and said it was ok).

I was serving an old couple, and one of the plants they bought was this very unusual fluffy cactus! It was spiky, but also covered in pale fluff, like cat fur! I joked how maybe there was a very sore, bald cat out there somewhere, which produced a few friendly chuckles. I scanned the cactus and put it down.

The old man picked up the cactus, then (jokingly), grabbed me quite forcefully by the shoulder and held the cactus up, enough of a distance away from my face that I knew after a split second he meant no harm, but made a fast motion that startled me, and joked "Gimme all the money!"

I jumped quite badly, which made him laugh, and I felt very embarrassed. I mean, he was clearly not going to shove the cactus in the my face, but the abrupt grab on the shoulder had scared me, and his movement was very quick.

So I decided to explain why I was so jumpy, to which he seemed to feel very bad, and apologised, and said he hoped I'd be able to overcome it soon.

Bless him for apologising, but it was minorly sucky to grab a stranger quite so firmly in the first place.*

(*Unless, you know, you're saving them from getting hit by a car or something!).
      It was more than minor sucky ... he should thank his lucky stars he didn't grab someone who's got a short fuse or has been trained in martial arts; he might have woken up in the ER. Regardless of whether he meant it in fun it was a totally unacceptable move.

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid I would have hit out as well. Anyone who is stupid enough to grab anyone without warning (joking or not) is an idiot and deserves whatever they get.
        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          If barcodes are what I think they are, I can't read them either, and a lot of stores don't provide scanners for customers to use. However, a mistake is a mistake ... not false advertising. If he didn't want to pay the actual price he should've bought some cheaper batteries or just put them back.
          There are some barcodes that have the item name printed on them, which is probably what these ones are if the store expects customers to be able to compare them.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Sorry I agree when you work behind a till or even of you don't, you think about number 1. I hate people standing too close to me because then any sudden movements are out of my peripheral vision. I would not be impressed if any customer, sucky or not, did anything more than shake my hand or at an extent pat my shoulder in that handshake move past and pat fashion, anyone that does more deserves everything they get.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              If barcodes are what I think they are, I can't read them either, and a lot of stores don't provide scanners for customers to use.
              Bar codes for the purpose of identifying retail products will almost universally have the numbers that the bars represent printed below them so that you don't have to have a scanner in order to determine if you have the right item or not.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't like strangers grabbing me, either. It's just a reaction to reel back from it.

Once I had a customer come from behind and grab me by the underarm, and demand to know why there wasn't enough fruit in the pastries.

The look on my face as I spun around at him was enough for him to release my arm without hesitation. Let's just say he was lucky.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                  There are some barcodes that have the item name printed on them, which is probably what these ones are if the store expects customers to be able to compare them.
                  Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  Bar codes for the purpose of identifying retail products will almost universally have the numbers that the bars represent printed below them so that you don't have to have a scanner in order to determine if you have the right item or not.

^-.-^
                  Thanks. As you can tell, I don't pay much attention to barcodes. I'll have to check them out.

Comment

The ONLY appropriate way to touch a stranger is to 'telegraph' the move clearly and well enough in advance for you to abort the move if they show any sign of reluctance.

Well, other than yanking them back from being run over, or otherwise saving their life/health.

Admittedly, that's IMO and YMMV, but based on the statements in this thread, it seems everyone agrees.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

^Yeah, that. I have PTSD. Grabbing me like that will never end well.

And I feel bad for that poor poodle! Poor baby.
                      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

After this, a colleague stepped in and everything was concluded. I was actually quite shaken and had tears in my eyes, and I said how the shouting had bothered me. That was when my colleague said "I thought he was shouting at his wife actually!"
                        As if that makes it BETTER? He shouldn't be like that to ANYONE when he's the one who's being an ass. Then again, o wait, he's being an ass... that about explains it.

fixed it for accuracy

grabbed me quite forcefully by the shoulder
                        No stranger should ever do that. I mean I can understand a friend that I trust fucking around like that but... when you're dealing with a stranger you never know what they've been through.

Back when I was in boot camp in 95, one of the RDCs gave us a semi-lecture on touching. They related they once had a recruit freak out when touched on the shoulder... come to find out she had been raped prior to enlisting and wasn't yet accustomed to personal contact from strangers.

I jumped quite badly
                        He's lucky that was your reaction. Some people might not react the same way, and might react more physically, just in instinct.

I know I personally pissed a coworker the fuck off when she tried grabbing me to shove me at a guy she thought i'd like. I didn't even think about what I was doing... I just twisted and forcefully shoved her grip off of me. She was very bitter (oh poor baby's ego was hurt!) the rest of the day.

I mean granted, there are social norms for where to touch strangers. Normally the forearm is considered neutral - not as intimate as the hands (unless it's a mutual handshake), or as close as the upper arm or torso. If you're touching for gaining attention that is... not for grabbing. But even then, one has to put one's ego aside if the touch gets a reaction they did not expect.
                        Last edited by PepperElf; 08-31-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I'm actually rather reassured to learn I'm not overreacting to consider the old man as slightly sucky for the playful grab. I know he didn't mean any harm by it, but he is lucky that my first reaction is not to fight. I can defend myself, but I have to be ANGRY. Anyone who read my thread about the assault will know how livid I was, and the only reason why the attacker didn't end up in hospital was because I was wearing high heels, which I can just about walk in, but not run or fight in. When I'm angry, I think I'm quite potentially dangerous ^^;;

But you gotta get me that way first...

Comment

The barcode always has a number right below it, called the UPC code. It may be tiny, but it is always there. That barcode is just a scannable version of the UPC code. You can match the UPC code on the package to the UPC code on the price tag.

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
                              I'm actually rather reassured to learn I'm not overreacting to consider the old man as slightly sucky for the playful grab. I know he didn't mean any harm by it, but he is lucky that my first reaction is not to fight. I can defend myself, but I have to be ANGRY. Anyone who read my thread about the assault will know how livid I was, and the only reason why the attacker didn't end up in hospital was because I was wearing high heels, which I can just about walk in, but not run or fight in. When I'm angry, I think I'm quite potentially dangerous ^^;;

But you gotta get me that way first...
                              Everyone, but especially those who have to deal with the public at work, put up with a lot more than they should have to. But really, there has got to be a line. Even without any extenuating circumstances of past history, a person, any person, at work or on their own time, should be able to expect to not be touched by strangers (or anyone else, if they don't want to be).

Really, it's rather sad that it should even have to be said that a person has the right to expect not to be touched by anyone who doesn't have their permission.

Madness takes it's toll....
                              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X