Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"69" expressway mile signs often get stolen.

Comment

YOU

SHOULD

HAVE

BOUGHT

A

SQUIRREL

Comment

I think I've mentioned my favourite sign theft on here before (and no, it wasn't me who stole it).

At one of the old west ghost towns my Dad was always dragging us to (I think it may have been Bowie, but can't be positive) there was an old chuch, with a 10-piece sign up of the 10 commandments outside the door. Yep, someone had stolen the "Thou Shalt Not Steal" sign.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
          He stole a signpost?

Maybe he was playing too much of the original Diablo?
          That doesn't sound like the entitlement whores I'm familiar with. EWs are more concerned with ripping out your sanity, not your signpost!
          My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Quoth Cat Herder View Post
            YOU ... SHOULD ... HAVE ... BOUGHT ... A ... SQUIRREL
            I need to watch that movie again.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
              When I was a kid, we were traveling once, and stayed in a motel. My sister and I SO wanted to take home a glass from the room (it had the cutest little sleepy bear on it
              Travelodge! That bear is adorable.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                Once the guy got the amazed look off his face, took him 20 minutes to find some sort of invoice so he could see what they cost the motel, and just charged us some tiny amount that was what they paid for them. Said in all his years working there, no one had ever asked him about buying a glass before, though of course they had to replace them constantly.
                When we honeymooned at the Hotel Hershey/ (yes, like in chocolate), the soap dishes (and a lot of other items) in the rooms had the inscription: Honestly stolen from the Hotel Hershey. Needless to say, the same items in the gift shop did not have that inscription.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Speaking of stolen street signs, down here in Key West, we have one of the most stolen street signs in the country. It's become a running joke, as the city has to replace it several times a year as tourists find ways to steal it without the cops catching them, though of course a few of them get caught each year, too.What is this sign of which I speak? It's at the end of US1 (though not of the street it's on, oddly), and while a lot of people find the "End US1" sign cool, that is not the one stolen. It's the sign BELOW the "End US1" sign that everyone steals. The Mile Marker Zero sign, seen below. Of course, several shops in town sell "Mile Zero" signs that look identical to the one pictured above. But naturally, people want THE "Mile Zero" sign...despite the fact that there have literally been hundreds of The "Mile Zero" sign.
                  Do the ones sold in the shops have markings on the back (i.e. "Made in China by Hu Flung Dung novelty sign company") that clearly identify them as NOT being THE "Mile Zero" sign? If so, Key West might want to consider putting a fake "this isn't the real sign" marking on the real one. Might cut down on theft. Or, put some kind of sensor on the bolts to alert the police when someone trying to steal the sign.

Quoth julchen View Post
                  These guys decided to display a sign on the front of their rental house.

The problem? It read in part, "No trespassing by order of the United States Air Force."

That's right. These geniuses put up a sign they had stolen from a military installation on the front of their house. Five minutes after my dad (gleefully!) called the cops, the sign was down and in the trunk of a police car. The sign thieves got evicted two months later due to this and other, ongoing problems.
                  True geniuses wanting a "specialty" sign would invest a bit of effort and money to get a FAKE sign made up with the same inscription. After all, a sign that was clearly identified (on the back, where it wouldn't be seen when installed) as NOT being federal government property wouldn't be subject to being retrieved by the police.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Do the ones sold in the shops have markings on the back (i.e. "Made in China by Hu Flung Dung novelty sign company") that clearly identify them as NOT being THE "Mile Zero" sign? If so, Key West might want to consider putting a fake "this isn't the real sign" marking on the real one. Might cut down on theft. Or, put some kind of sensor on the bolts to alert the police when someone trying to steal the sign.
                    I have no idea. And, since I am not employed by the KWPD, the City of Key West, Monroe County, the companies that make either the real or the souvenir signs, or the stores that sell the souvenir signs, can't say that I really care all that much, other than finding it amusing as an observer.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                    X