This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you clean the damn porta-potties

I'm doing a job at a school under renovation. Since it's a school, naturally there are a number of restrooms all around. But the geniuses that they are, every single one is closed and under renovation. There actually is one still open in the basement. I caught some of the privileged "beautiful people" sneaking into it, but it's kept under lock and key so that none of us dirty contractors can go in and dirty it up and steal all the toilet paper.

Fine, whatever, at least they've put some porta-potties outside for us. The first week I was there, these things were disgusting. The smell was virtually unbearable and they were just in a nasty state. A week passes and I'm back at this jobsite. Nature calls and I reluctantly head out. I step into the first one and the toilet paper and solid waste are literally piled up to the seat. The second one was even worse, it was piled above the seat. These things hadn't been attended to at all in the entire week that I was off this jobsite.

I called bullshit on this and let the supervisor know that I was taking off to find a washroom and that if I was going to be docked the time, I'm not coming back. He was cool about it all, he was just as pissed as me.

I understand that being a contractor, you miss out on some of the luxuries on the jobsite, like air conditioning in the 35 degree weather with the 50 degree humidex factor, or use of the elevators to haul up the 100 lb piece of furniture, but basic job requirements, basic human decency are hardly things that we should be expected to forego.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

That's just disgusting.

Sorry you had to - I was going to say 'deal with that crap' but I think I'll just say 'be treated so revoltingly'.
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Who is supposed to clean the Port-O-Potties? Are they under contract, too? Are they part of the contractors? Whoever it is, there has to be someone who can light a fire under their ass. Those conditions are just screaming for a health inspector.

Comment

Usually when one rents porta-potties, the company that you rent them from is supposed to service them. It's always been a part of the contract whenever we've had to rent them.

I'm in the SCA and I've shopped around for them for events. I've never ran into one that didn't offer it.

So while it may be the school's fault for picking a company that's extremely lax about servicing them, it may not be their fault for said laxity.

I'd have your boss talk to the school and inform them that the company that they're paying to rent the crappers from is not keeping up their end of the deal and are not cleaning them.

Now if the boss does that and nothing happens...then you have a school that is truly assholes.
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Let me guess

Let me guess, they went for the lowest bidder without asking why they were so much cheaper than the next lowest bidder.

Comment

Or the stool board is letting one of their "buddies" store their minicabins at the school, and some mighty intellect figured, "Hey! Let's use these! they're already here!"

Here's a theme song: Handy House - Cheryl Wheeler.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              Let me guess, they went for the lowest bidder without asking why they were so much cheaper than the next lowest bidder.
              They probably signed up for the longest service interval without thinking about the actual usage needed.
              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

plus, if the toilets are in that condition...it's an osha violation.

osha letter - Whether toilets at a construction jobsite must be in a sanitary condition to meet the requirements of 29 CFR 1926.51(c).

in the response they restate the legal requirements for "provided" toilets, and further stipulate that toilets that are unsanitary cannot be used, and therefore cannot be considered to fulfill the legal requirements for "provided" toilets.

Or in other words, toilets that are as nasty as the ones you described are clearly not usable. Therefore your facility is likely in violation of OSHA regulations.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  plus, if the toilets are in that condition...it's an osha violation.
                  Or whatever the equivalent is. I don't think evilhomer is in the US.

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                  I understand that being a contractor, you miss out on some of the luxuries on the jobsite, like air conditioning in the 35 degree weather with the 50 degree humidex factor,
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Yeah, I'm in Canada, but I'm sure there are some employment standards acts that this is in violation of. That's why I pulled the attitude that I did and why my supervisor did the same. He talked to someone about it and they were going to "look into it". This was on our second last day and nothing had been done by the next day.

They were not too pleased about our extended washroom breaks. Even though we were on schedule and on budget, they "weren't happy with our progress". The additional washroom breaks added a couple of hours to our day but we were still within our budget. They were just a bunch of cheap asshats who expect it all while giving nothing in return.
                    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

They were not too pleased about our extended washroom breaks. Even though we were on schedule and on budget, they "weren't happy with our progress". The additional washroom breaks added a couple of hours to our day but we were still within our budget. They were just a bunch of cheap asshats who expect it all while giving nothing in return.
                      I shudder to think of their attitude if you _had_ gone over budget. One would hope your bosses would tell them to suck it up and pay it, it's not your fault the porta-potties were unusable.

Comment

Yeah, I'm in Canada, but I'm sure there are some employment standards acts that this is in violation of.
                        woops sorry. I do hope you can get them to unfuck themselves then.
                        cos even if they're trying to save money it shouldn't be at the expense of worker health

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          I do hope you can get them to unfuck themselves then.
                          (Can't help it, sorry)

"You had best unfuck yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your NECK!!.....cuz there's no where else to shit around here!!"
                          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Yeah, I'm in Canada, but I'm sure there are some employment standards acts that this is in violation of. That's why I pulled the attitude that I did and why my supervisor did the same. He talked to someone about it and they were going to "look into it". This was on our second last day and nothing had been done by the next day.

Bucket.
                            Office of the person- school admin?- making these decisions.
                            Need I say more?

Might have gotten the point across, since they were so damn dense...and cheap.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

the stool board
                              I see what you did there.
                              I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                              - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Working...
                              X