This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this tech support or 911? (long)

Thought I'd share more tales from the call center tonight - 3 calls in which I felt more like a 911 dispatcher than a CSR:

Train Wreck:

First one was several years ago, when I was working in reservations for Amtrak. Just another night when a call comes in and I do my usual thank you for calling blah blah. There's a pause and a woman says, "I'm just calling to tell you all not to feel bad." Um, what?

Then the woman proceeds to tell me that she is going to kill herself tonight. On the train tracks. Throwing herself in front of our train. And we shouldn't feel bad about it.

So I am trying not to panic - I don't know if this woman is serious or not but it's not like I can take the chance. So I desperately flag down a supervisor while trying to keep her on the line. The next hour is probably one of the most stressful of my life. I can't put her on hold and I can't transfer for her to anyone else; I do not want to take the chance that I'll lose her. I spend the whole time just trying to listen while a supervisor is monitoring the call and the authorities are trying to trace it. She's telling me all about her health problems and how her family doesn't care and I'm trying to say the right thing and give her some hope and it's just taking. so. freaking. long for them to find her and of course she won't tell me where she is or her name. Then finally a supervisor comes and taps me on the shoulder and I mute her, at which point he says. "Just hang up. We found her; she's some nutcase who does this all the time."

Hang up? Hang up??? You've got to be freaking kidding me! At this point I don't care if she does this all the time; yeah maybe she's just an attention whore but what if this time she's serious? This woman is not killing herself on my watch. I basically blew up and said I will stay on this phone until I hear police coming through her door so make it happen!

So finally the police show up thank God and I am literally shaking and drenched in sweat. Never heard any other kind of update about her, except for a very weird, coincidental anecdote years later.

I'm back in my home state now, not where I was when I'd worked for Amtrak. It was the day I went to interview for my current job. It also happens to be the state the woman was calling from. I had been paired upon with one of the CSR's to listen to calls, and I told him this story. And he goes pale and tells me, 'OMG, I'll bet you that's the woman who killed herself on the train tracks a few years back!" Plus he mentions the town, which I never told him, and it's the same one she was in. I wish I was kidding. I have no idea if it's the same woman or not but that's one hell of a coincidence. At least I know didn't happen that night.

Spare the Rod:
    2nd one was at my current job, about six months ago. I get a call from some rude lady complaining about her satellite service not working. She's annoying, but not any more than the last one or the next one, except in the background a child starts screaming. Not that unusual, except I can hear quite clearly the sound of blows and someone saying over and over 'how do you like it?' *crack* *wail* 'how do you like it?!' This went on for about two minutes, which is a really long time when you're listening to someone get the crap smacked out of them, and especially when it's a child - I could hear him quite clearly; I'd guess he was between 6 and 9.

To top it all off, the woman on the phone, who is apparently his mother, puts her hand over the phone and talks to the woman in the background beating the hell out of her child who is apparently the grandmother... "Mom, would you keep it the f*** down before this lady calls the cops?"

The sound of it all was just horrific, well beyond normal corporal punishment. I mean, I have kids, and I have spanked them. And I've heard countless exasperated parents yell at their kids in the background and it's just something you're going to hear when people are calling you from home. This was so much more than that; I was tearing up listening to first this boy be hit and then the verbal abuse they laid on to him for the next ten minutes.

During all this I managed to get my supervisor and he started listening in but he missed the sound of the beating and of course it's the one call that doesn't get recorded. We even heard them at the end of the call when they thought the line had been dead telling the kid that they wouldn't have hit him if he didn't deserve it and his mother saying 'wait til I'm off the phone to hit him next time!'

So my supervisor basically said his hands were tied because he didn't hear what I did, and I was so frustrated. So I did something I would have definitely got fired for if I'd gotten caught; I took their names, address, etc and I called Child Protective Services in their state. I really wrestled with that - my husband's ex used to love to call in false reports to CPS and I've experienced firsthand the hell that a false allegation can put someone through. But at the same time I could not sleep that night unless I did something.

I was very truthful when I called them; I told them I have never met these people, I don't know what goes on in their house every day, all I can tell you is what I heard and now it's up to you. A CPS supervisor decided it did indeed warrant looking into and that was the end of that, for me at least.

At least until the next day, when I went into work and my supervisor waves me over. At first I thought I was definitely getting fired but he leans down and whispers..."I called the cops on that family! You never heard me say that!" and walks away.

Domestic Bliss:

Latest one was about three weeks ago. A woman in Virginia calls me and she is drunk off her ass. She pressed the wrong button on her remote and now it's up to me to navigate her intoxicated self back to the happyland of satellite tv.

Except her husband/boyfriend/whatever is in the background, swearing, screaming, and just being an overall douche. He's yelling that we suck, our system is crap, she's an idiot, blah blah and finally my SC screams back at him to STFU. Then it's on like Donkey Kong. During the lovely 30 minutes it took to get her to press the right button on her remote he called her a stupid fat whore and told her he was cheating on her among other sweet expressions of love, and in between screaming profanities she expressed the desire to kill him least six times. That's exactly what she said - "I hate him! I'm going to shoot him in the head!' I'm thinking, 'would you kindly stop saying that? I don't want to have to testify against you in court!'

So I'm thinking this is just a drunk couple that needs to sleep it off but at the end of the call she insists that I write down her name and his name in case he kills her and I read about it in the paper, because now she says it's his gun and he's going to kill her with it. So I tell her I'm afraid she's not safe and I want her to get out of there and she's all hemming and hawing that she'll probably be ok and that's freaking it; I've heard enough. Off to a supervisor I went and the police were called. AGAIN.

I swear, I just attract crazy. Next time it will probably be a bomb threat. Oh God, I should not have said that.

I feel your pain. I was working in a call center for Allhell once and a little girl called up and asked if I could turn their phones back on so she could find her mommy..she was probably 8, had been left home alone all day with no food and no electricity and she was scared. I ended up calling the police on the family and staying on the line with her til they came, and they showed up just when the dad did. He was screaming at the cops (and at me) that she was fine, what the hell were they doing there? Cops took the kid away with them. She had been left home alone for 12 hours, no food, no water, no power, no heat in the middle of winter.
    Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Wow, just wow. You may have saved someone's life! I hope if I'm ever in a situation like that, the person on the other line does just what you did. You have restored some of my faith in humanity!

Comment

Conversely, these stories actually made me sick to my stomach. I am a little surprised that I still have some of my humanity left.

(Thanks?)

Comment

I'm reminded of a story from a friend of mine who used to work at a call center doing roadside assistance:

Several people were stuck on a bridge somewhere in Michigan in a blizzard, waiting for someone to come dig them out. One woman in a fancy SUV was indignant and impatient and angry that it was taking so long. She had a full tank of gas and was sitting there with the heat going, bored but otherwise unharmed.

Another call came from what turned out to be a car right behind the woman in the SUV. It came from a mother with two children who had been stuck in the snow, running their car for the heat, long enough to run out of gas. The mother and her children were beginning to freeze to death and had reached that stage of this endeavor wherein you get very sleepy.

What followed was a frantic, high-stakes game of phone tag with my friend calling the woman and her children to make sure they were still alive, then calling the woman in the SUV to beg her to let the mother and children in the SUV with her.

After several calls back and forth, the woman in the SUV relented, and the last my friend heard of it was the woman in the car gathering up her children to head up to the SUV. According to my friend, after that it was break time and she took a nice, long one, sitting there smoking until she stopped shaking.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I'm so grateful that in all the time I spent in call center situations I never had to deal with anything like that. Jeeeebus.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

... I'm never going back to a phone-related job, I don't think I could handle it!

Comment

Mysticgirl5, you sound like a wonderful person who honestly cares about others, and it's great that you went above what the job would have expected of you to do what was truly right. The world needs more people like you.
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Mysticgirl5, you're a hero in my eyes. At least three times over.

Now excuse me...I appear to have gotten a bit of dust in those very same eyes.

Comment

What the fuck was wrong with SUV woman that she didn't immediately volunteer to have the woman and kids come in with her as soon as she heard about the situation?
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Wow. Just wow. I thought my job was tough, but it's a cake walk compared to this! mysticgirl, you and your supervisor are what is right with the world! And kansasgal, you too!!!!

I just hope if I am ever in a situation where I need some kindness and common sense, that people like you will be there!!!!
                      "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

Thank you for showing such compassion and common sense. You've earned yourself some good karma there. I know I'm just repeating what everyone else is saying, but if I'm ever in a bad situation, I hope people like you are there!

Comment

I've never had calls that bad but only by the grace of good fortune.

Still, when I worked at <government agency>, I had to deal with a lot of suicide calls. Those were the ones where afterwards, you had to take some time to smoke a cigarette, take a walk, what have you. Some may have been looking for attention. Others were sincere. I treated them all the same as best I could.

I only had one call that scared me.

AG(Angry Guy): (profanity, questioning my heritage, questionable biological statements involving my butt and head's relative positions) I swear, I'll come down there and kill you all!
                          ME: (intrigued eyebrow) Really?
                          AG: Yeah, I will! I'll kill all ya'll!! And I know where you are. You're off of (correct highway) in (correct town). B, I'll be there TONIGHT!
                          ME: (icy chill down my spine but kept my voice bored) Uh-huh. (Start writing and making sure my active call recording is going) So, tell me. How do you know where we are if we were actually there?
                          AG: Please. I live over by (address).
                          ME: Really, Mr. Stupanowitz?
                          AG: Yeah! So you better.......AH SH!!!! (CLICK!)

I got on the phone with our emergency line to the Boys in Black. They called the local Boys in Blue. We never did have a crazed gunman. Just a bomb threat a few years later that was a pipe and wires.
                          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Geeze, I'm so glad that I don't deal with those kinds of calls at the help desk at The Client. All of our callers are internal to The Client. The occasional outside call we get are usually people using Client systems needing assistance, or people from the desk calling in to say they're late/sick/whatever.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I had an incident much like the first lady you described while working at Big Box. At first it started out as a simple conversation about DLC TVs i.e. why hers wasn't working. Based on what she described, I suggested having the bulb replaced. She said she knew a handyman who could do it, which somehow launched her into how she lived alone with just her goldfish, how her husband left her, then her dearest nephew died in a car accident and now she was all alone. She talked to me for about an hour and a half just spilling her guts, including how she was in therapy but still contemplates killing herself in her car with the engine running. At one point I led her to one of our demo rooms in case she broke down, but she had that eerie calmness to her that told you she was just about dead on the inside. I gave her a giant hug when she said she felt a lot better talking to me and wanted to go to a Waffle House. Fortunately, my manager had on-and-off witnessed what was going on. I could tell he was unhappy that I was tied up with this lady, but afterward granted me another 15 minute break to get my nerves settled (after I had already gone on break that day).

People can be nutty, but some people just have so much going on that they simply burst open on the next person who shows them even the slightest bit of concern. If I ever have no one else to talk to except a goldfish, then I suspect I'll unload on a poor, unsuspecting peon.

I think we need to establish a Depressing Customers category as a subset of Sucky, though sucky in this case is just the overwhelming crappiness you feel after someone treats you like their shrink.

Also, what the HELL about the story with the 8-year-old.
                              Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 09-12-2012, 10:31 PM. Reason: removed Fratching comment

Comment

Working...
                              X