This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    AW - fair enough. I meant the coins as something to exist alongside bills, not take their place.
    Ah. I just really hate coins lol. They all go in a giant jar until the jar is full then I take them to be turned into paper money. XD
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I'm more than happy to get rid of pennies... nickels too. both are useless. but screw $1 coins. money that folds into a wallet is superior to money that rattles around in a pocket. I can carry $10 in $1 notes and scarcely know its there. 10 big metal discs rattling against either my keys or my phone are another matter entirely. We need to switch away from the bills we have now that quickly wear out to something more durable (like Canada's new polymer bills).

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        I'd actually like less coins thanks. I do keep a bit of cash on me, with plenty of ones, and having all those ones be COINS would be obnoxious.
        I actually prefer the coins. I'm in Canada so we have $1 and $2 coins. There's not much need to have a ton of ones on hand around here. A few work just fine.

And we're getting rid of pennies this fall.

Comment

My till starts with $200 ... at 8 am. When someone comes in and hands me a $100 for a purchase of *anything less than $50 or $60* at 8:30am, they're getting what I have. Which is, usually, $20-30 in tens, $40-50 in fives, and the rest in ones. They don't like it? They can have COINS instead !!!!!!!!!

Who thinks that a store that just opened within the last 30 minutes would have large bills for change? I mean, really? I work for a chain now, but I used to manage a family bookstore ... where we took all the money HOME at night and deposited it in the morning. I generally opened with about $20 plus change. And yet the SCs still expected me to have change for $100 on a $5 purchase! Jeez!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
            My till starts with $200 ... at 8 am. When someone comes in and hands me a $100 for a purchase of *anything less than $50 or $60* at 8:30am, they're getting what I have. Which is, usually, $20-30 in tens, $40-50 in fives, and the rest in ones. They don't like it? They can have COINS instead !!!!!!!!!

Who thinks that a store that just opened within the last 30 minutes would have large bills for change? I mean, really? I work for a chain now, but I used to manage a family bookstore ... where we took all the money HOME at night and deposited it in the morning. I generally opened with about $20 plus change. And yet the SCs still expected me to have change for $100 on a $5 purchase! Jeez!
            Some people are totally clueless. I've had garage sales where people would try to buy a $1 item with a $20, right at opening. Then there are the truly SCs - my parents used to have a regular flea market table, and other sellers who forgot (or didn't bother) to get change in advance would go around trying to buy tiny items just to get change for their own booths from sellers who actually came prepared.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

***** RM starts to sound like a broken record concerning large bills ******

Welcome to my pizza delivery world. Too many rants not enough shells
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

why, oh, why do people treat retail businesses like banks?

yeah, we do give cash back. up to $40.00. The worst is Sunday mornings. Srsly. You are the 5th customer I've had. You've just asked for $40.00 cash back. Pretty much you you should STFU when I hand you back rolls of change and $1.00 bills.

Not a bank.

*Feels the pain*

Comment

I get pissed off when people use a $100 to pay for a transaction under $30. It simply means I'm about to lose all the fives in my register, because we don't carry twenties and tens.

Why? We're a convenience store. Carrying anything above ones and fives is dangerous and can get us robbed. Most people understand that. Some idiots don't.

I had one guy complain to my manager because I only gave him fives and ones as change, and I "didn't offer him anything else." Of course I didn't, asshole, I don't have anything else.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    I can only speak for myself, but I would love to see dollar coins (and get rid of pennies while you're at it!) -- the problem is, the government has re-designed the dollar coins we DO have a few times amidst complaints that they look and feel too much like quarters. Their response, thus far, is to come up with new designs that look and feel MORE like discolored quarters. ARRRRRRRRRGH

I *CAN* kinda sorta see where dollar coins might be desirable for vending machines, since the mechanisms to dispense and accept them are FAR simpler than the ones for bills. But in general circulation? Nah. Bills in REASONABLE denominations are far easier to handle on a day-to-day basis.
                    Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 09-15-2012, 12:41 PM. Reason: removed Fratching comment

Comment

I've seen a few stores around lately that have actually put up signs that read "Due to counterfeit issues we will no longer accept any notes higher than $20"

One particular store I recently saw someone pull out a $100 note for a $5 purchase and proceed to go irate when the counterstaff shook their head and pointed to the (BIG) sign and then demanded to speak to a manager. The manager simply said "What's the matter? Can't you read the sign?" I almost died laughing.
                      Violets are blue,
                      Roses are red,
                      I bequeath to thee...
                      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                        Who thinks that a store that just opened within the last 30 minutes would have large bills for change?
                        Somebody who has no clue how retail works and thinks that cash registers are Magical Money Machines with infinite change-giving capacities. "Robbery prevention?! Don't be ridiculous! Just break my $100!"
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

While we're on this subject, I seem to have more and more people ask for $100 cash back, the maximum amount allowed at our store. And this happens immediately after I get a fresh till and cleans me out. This has been happening more and more often, like the little bastards know.
                          See, we have a new huge cash machine that dispenses money to us, and every single time we go on break or lunch, we have to turn in our till, come back from break/ lunch, and get a fresh till.
                          I had no idea customers had psychic powers

Comment

Quoth Laund-o-rama Mama View Post
                            Haha oh yes. I've had this too. Never anyone as bitchy as that, but they are always surprised. I love it when they come it right at opening, too. Dude, my drawer is literally $100. I've had no transactions today. NO I can't break a hundred-dollar bill. FFS.
                            That happened to me once at the wholesale club. Customer buying a gallon of milk, literally my first customer of the day. The total was under $5, and she hands me a $100 bill.

Making it worse was that she was a coworker. When I asked her if she had anything smaller, because she's my first customer, I don't have the cash to break a hundred, she said, "That's not my problem."

I glared at her, called a manager, and got her her effing change.

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                            Ah. I just really hate coins lol. They all go in a giant jar until the jar is full then I take them to be turned into paper money. XD
                            I do that! Not because I hate coins, but because at my current job, there's a card you can fill with money to use at the food court and some of the vending machines. As such, I usually only keep quarters in my pocket now. Smaller coins go in the jar.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
                              I had no idea customers had psychic powers
                              Believe me, they do have psychic powers. The moment someone is about to go on break/lunch/home, there will suddenly be a queue a mile long. The moment you get a drop on your till, someone will want to break a $100. They just know.

Yet with all these psychic powers, they never seem to be able to read signs or figure out how to pay for their stuff. Go figure.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                                the problem is, the government has re-designed the dollar coins we DO have a few times amidst complaints that they look and feel too much like quarters. Their response, thus far, is to come up with new designs that look and feel MORE like discolored quarters. ARRRRRRRRRGH
                                That's the problem. Looking through my coin collection, the current gold dollar coin...isn't that much bigger than a quarter. In fact, a quarter fits nicely inside the recess on both sides! Very similar, right down to the color...are the old Susan B. Anthony dollar coins. Again, too much like a damn quarter. At least the half dollar coins are much larger. Larger than that, we have the "Ike" dollar coin. Those never caught on--vending machines at the time wouldn't take them, and they're a bit bulky.
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X