X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales of Self Service

Hi guys, first post of what will probably be many XD

A bit of background; I'm a cashier at a large well known supermarket chain. I mainly work on a manned checkout and as a self-service host. Self-service (henceforth to be called SS) is... 'fun' in my store. We have 10 machines and the way they are laid out means you really need 2 people to be able to keep an eye on them and to help all of the customers when they need us. However, SS hosts are frequently left on their own whilst the person supposed to be assisting is hauled off to do other jobs.

I was put on SS on Sunday, I opened up at 10am. I was alone and had no phone (even though I repeatedly asked for one), but it didn't get off to too bad a start...

Then I get a middle aged couple come over. They have a trolley of items, maybe 15-20, and they head to the machines designed for baskets. We even have signs over them saying 'less than 10 items'. There are some machines designed for around 20-30 items, where I try to send all the trolleys, but they ignored those, so I kept a close eye on them (our customers often have trouble using the small machines for a lot of items, because they are incapable of realising they can take bags off, they don;t need to stack it all in that tiny bagging area).

The couple get off to a good start, I'm flitting about helping other customers in the mean time. They have some large plastic boxes which will clearly not fit on to the bagging area, but I assume they will have the sense to choose the 'don't bag this item' option. I see them scan one, then I run off to help another customer, and when I come back the guy has left with the trolley, and the woman is waiting for her receipt to print. I am immediately suspicious, because he left pretty quickly, so I pulled up a re-print and see they only scanned and paid for one box, yet walked out with all three.

Straight away, I reach to phone Security-and realise I have no phone.Happy Days. From where I am, I can see the security stand, but they guy on it is busy looking at the cameras so, after a quick glance around to make sure the customers on SS can manage for 30 secs without me, I run off to security and set the guard on the couple. He hauls the guy in with the two unpaid for boxes, and stands over him to make sure he pays properly. All the time, the guy is saying 'well, they're on offer, so she (the wife) thought it would know we had 3 and give us the offer!' I suppress a snort at this, it's a load of rubbish, and the guy finishes and gets his receipt. Then the best part; 'They're on offer, 3 for *some amount*, can I get the discount?' After trying to steal two? I think not :/ I told him because it was two transactions, there was no way to get the offer. I *could* have sent him to customer services for a refund on the 3 boxes, so that he could buy them all together and get the dicount, but after walking out with two I was just like 'GTFO!'.

---

It's very common on SS for customers to try to get away with not scanning items. One couple stick in my mind very well, from a few weeks ago. The woman was heavily pregnant, and stood back, they guy was scanning. They had a lot of baby products with them, and I was watching them like a hawk without looking like I was. I see the guy scan 1 item...then drop 2 in the bag. He does this a few times, I'm just watching, and waiting because I know eventually...'Unexpected item in bagging area!'. I swooped at this, reached immediately for the items he hadn't scanned (about half of what was in there) and go 'oh look, this doesn't seem to have scanned properly...or this...or this...or this...' I scan it all through, meanwhile he's cursing away, blaming the effing machines, saying they always do it to him, and I'm juts thinking 'stop trying to steal things and we won't have a problem!'

---

One last tale for now, this time from a checkout. In my store we keep open only as many checkouts as are necessary. We have enough to keep queues down, but not so mnay our cashiers are twiddling their thumbs. On this day, it's fairly busy, we have open maybe 15 checkouts, leaving just 5 closed. I haven't had a chance to even breath, it's been customer after customer for nearly 3 hours, no break in between any of them.

This old lady comes up, snatches a few carrier bags, places them on the belt, then puts her shopping on the bags. I raise an eyebrow but say nothing until her turn to be served. Before I can even start with the opening script, she says 'your conveyor belt is disgusting, don't you damn people ever clean anything in this store?'I look over the belt and see a few damp patches where frozen items have sat, and a tiny puff of flour. Nothing life threatening, nothing even really gross. I've had a lot worse spilled on my belts. I want to tell her to stuff it. Unfortunately, I would get into a lot of trouble, so I say 'Very sorry ma'am, it's been busy today, I haven't had chance to clean it yet.'
    OL; 'Not good enough! I'm a customer, I expect the belts for my shopping to be clean!'
    Me; 'Normally we do clean them when we have the chance. You can see we have cleaning supplies right here *gesture to cloth and spray behind me* but like I said, it's been too busy.'
    OL; I'll be putting in a complaint about this, I normally shop at *other store*, THEIR belts are always spotless! They know how to treat customers!

I'm sat there thinking, 'eff off to *other store* then if you like them so much. All I can actually do is smile and nod. It really annoyed me because had I asked her not to load up so I could clean the belt, guaranteed she would have moaned I was holding her, the customer, up for no good reason. Also, I know she doesn't normally shop at the other store at all, she's a regular and always moans at every cashier about their belts.

Of course if there is something gross on my belt I will clean it right away, but there was hardly anything, she was just a grumpy old bat.

If she did put in a complaint, I never heard about it. I always say communication sucks in my store, but *sometimes* that works to my advantage XD

Welcome aboard Jaspar!
    Wow, sounds like your store is HUGE.
    Nice work on keeping the SCO scammers in line.
    I'd keep an eye out for Clean Belt Lady; I bet a couple of rounds of making her wait for a conveyor sanitizing has her singing a new song. (Not a good one, just a new one. )

Comment

*sigh* I remember days where cleaning the belt was impossible. In fact, the only time I paused a person setting stuff onto it was if the items before it contained chicken or other dripping meat stuffs or very sticky stuff that would ruin whatever the next person was trying to purchase.

It's also the leading reason why, now, things like clothing get set on top of things that aren't subject to ruin if it comes in contact with belt grime.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I had a cashier get grumpy with me because I wanted him to clean the belt before I put my stuff on the belt. The person before us had chicken that leaked all over the belt and scale and he was going to drag our stuff through it. I went and talked to the cs desk and they didn't seem too surprised about the complaint, also didn't see him after that.
        "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

That's another thing that annoys me XD People handing me clothes...we don't leave bags on the front of the checkouts, we have to offer them then pull off as many as needed. So I say, 'do you want bags?' Customer invariably says 'yes please' then shoves a huge pile of clothes in my arms. Of course, I have nowhere to put the clothes while I pull off bags, so they get put on the belt or the customers shopping anyway...

Comment

As soon as an SC starts complaining about the dirty belt, I tell them. "OK, everybody take their stuff of the belt so I can clean it." Then I just stand there until everyone complies or capitulates. SCs will be the most likely to refuse to remove their garbage because they're afraid of losing their place on the belt.

As for the ones who won't place items ON the belt, I'll just ring up the bloke behind him/her whose groceries are conveniently right there for the scanning!

Want a clean belt? Put clean stuff on it. We have hand scanners for garden manure in carts and other disgusting things. Heck, we wouldn't even need belts if we didn't have to recharge the scanners!
            Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

A dirty belt on an SS scanner. You know....that should be the biggest issue in our lives! Crazy old bat!

Comment

I don't think I ever had a night with enough of a gap to actually clean my belt (except after things like spills or leaking poultry), and I never got a complaint. That lady just wanted to whine, probably does it to feel like she's in control or superior. Just ignore her.

Comment

Working...
                X