This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently not all Brits like to queue

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a cashier in a pharmacy/toiletries store (drug store for those in the US?). For those in the UK, it's the blue one.

We're a big store, in a major tourist city, but Sunday we have four or five people on cash and wrap, so it's always fairly slow. Generally for the last hour, or two hours before closing we drop down to one person on the tills and one person on the self service tills, and the others put things back or pull forward. About an hour and a half before closing I headed off to pull forward skin care. We hadn't had a queue over three people for about two or three hours.

The bell to call for more staff rings, so I head over. As I walk up, a lady is asking my co-worker on the self service tills (as she tries to help someone using them) if anyone else is going to help on the tills, and she explains that's what the bell is for, so as I pass I smile at her.

Once I'm signed on, I wave her over, and she shoves her item and her money at me.

Me: Sorry about that!
    SC: I can't believe you only had one person on the tills!
    Me: Well, this time on a sunday it's normally empty, so I was helping clean up.
    SC: I don't expect to have to queue in a shop this size!
    Me: I'm sorry about that! Here's your change, receipt and a voucher!
    SC: *snatches, and storms off*

I can't get across just how condescending she was. Clearly we all should have dropped what we were doing to help her, the queen of sheba! Heaven forbid you have to queue! (Thank goodness she wasn't in yesterday when we had all six tills in use and there was still a 10-20 people queue, she probably would have died). I should also note that she was waiting 3 minutes maximum. She was second in line when I arrived, and the bell gets rung if there's more than two people in the queue.

I used to work for the same company - glad to know it wasn't my store that attracted people who didn't want to queue!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out why she didn't expect to have to queue up in a pharmacy o_O or any other type of store, for that matter.

In any case, feel free to vent here, that's what the site is for!

to ! We've got chocolate and bacon and other wonderful stuff galore! And no queues!
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        to ! We've got chocolate and bacon and other wonderful stuff galore! And no queues!
        We will cue up the puns, though.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

the heck? a store of this size? I've never seen any store that didn't have a line in it at least once.
          Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
          Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
          -Unknown Author

Comment

"That's life mam; unpredictable. If you don't like life, go take a flying leap..."

Comment

Hello Earl Grey *waves*

I love your tea.
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Heh, I once had a guy at four in the morning complain that we had 38 registers and only one open. He was the only one in line. Some customers just want to complain.

Comment

Quoth Grendus View Post
                  Some customers just want to complain.
                  Some guys have all the luck
                  Some guys have all the pain
                  Some guys get all the breaks
                  Some guys do nothing but complain
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Is that England from Axis Powers Hetalia? o.O
                    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I'd have probably given her a bollocking, I mean hey, I don't like queuing, but I'd certainly not bitch at someone who has no control over the size of it.
                      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Nobody likes standing in a line-up, but customers seem to come in waves and land up at the till at the same time. Like lemmings

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                          Is that England from Axis Powers Hetalia? o.O
                          I don't know the show, but my guess would be yes. Either way, the pic is absolutely adorable.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            I don't know the show, but my guess would be yes. Either way, the pic is absolutely adorable.

^-.-^
                            I was going to post a picture, but the show has gotten to that ANNOYING level of popularity where there are more hits of fan art and cosplay (full sets and pieces) than there are of official art. So I said screw it.

I do believe it is England though. *cackle* It's a good show, I highly suggest it to everyone even if anime is not your thing. It's still a good entertainment.
                            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

All I can assume is that she is (ahem) "To the Manor Born".
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X