This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How old are you?!" (Long, sorry!)

First up, hi! I've been reading the posts for about a week and I hadn't seen anything like this experience I had, so I just had to join up and ask

I work in a movie rental store and as you can imagine most of the SCs I get are to do with late fees. This story is from about a year ago, and I have a bad memory for quotes so I'll just have to give you the gist of the conversations.

An older man and a youngish woman came in one night, got a movie, and when they came up to the counter to rent out had around 20 bucks owing on the account. It was from a couple of years ago and they were, of course, very surprised to find it on there. It was obvious they actually had only a little more than what was needed to rent out the movie itself. I felt bad for them, they were quite nice, and it was such and old charge... but I cannot waive late fees ever, so I quietly told them that they *could* just go to another store to rent out, eh?, wink wink, nudge nudge?... But they decided to spend all the money they had with them to pay as much of the fee off as possible. They left the DVD behind as they now couldn't afford to rent it.
    I figured, that's that, all's well with the world... right?

About 10 minutes later, I get a phone call from a VERY irate woman, who turns out to be the man's wife and the woman's mother. She basically starts going ballistic about having to pay the late fee. This is the gist of what happened (rather shortened)...

Me: obviously
    SC: also obviously

SC: How could you make them pay that?! That was my daughter's bus money, now she can't get to work tomorrow!
    Me: Actually, I did tell them that they didn't have to pay, that they could just leave and go somewhere else. They insisted on paying it.
    SC: What were the charges for! I've never returned anything late there!
    Me: Well, unfortunately our system wipes the information about what the fee is for once it's paid, BUT since there is still a few dollars owing on there I can see what that is for, for you. *goes to computer and finds the info* Ok, as I said, I can't see what the rest of it was for, since the information is gone, but what's left indicates that [Movie Names] were rented out [Time last year] and returned X days late each, that means that each of them gave a late fee of $x.xx
    SC: We never rented those! (Like I've never heard that before)
    Me: Well, they were rented on your account, and you're responsible for what goes on there...
    SC: I want to know what the rest of the fees were for!
    Me: As I said before, I can't, etc etc (Repeat these two lines for the next 5 minutes).

I don't remember how the next bit went exactly, but somehow she got on to telling me how they shouldn't have had to pay the fee to rent out.

Me: I'm sorry, but it's policy that any late fee over $xx.xx MUST be paid, or at least reduced to $xx.xx before any hires can be made on the account.
    Cue several more minutes back and forth re-explaining said policy to her.
    Out of the blue, she says: How old are you??
    Now, I don't think I've ever lost my temper with another human being. Computers, appliances, sure. People? No. I just shut down. When she asked this my whole brain shut down in self defense, and I *nearly* told her, but then that lovely part of my brain that silently swears at everyone and is a heinous bitch kicked in
    Me: I really don't think that has anything to do with the situation. (said rather coldly)
    SC: Well, I do! How old are you?!
    Me: I'm not going to tell you that, it has nothing to do with any of this.
    SC: Fine! I want to talk to the manager!
    Me: The manager's not on tonight I'm afraid, I can put you on to a senior staff member if you like.
    SC: Well is she going to tell me the same thing as what you've told me?
    Me: (DUH! YES!) Well, it's all just store policy, so, probably, yeah.
    SC: Well then I don't want to talk to her.
    Me: Alright well, I'm sorry, but I can't really do anything. It's store policy to have X amount of late fees paid off before hiring, and the computer has wiped the information about the other late fees, so I simply cannot look that up.
    SC: Well I want to talk to the manager, when will he be in?
    Me: *looks it up in the big book* He'll be in on [Day], shall I get him to call you then?
    <Gets her details as she continues abuse.>

I just wanted to ask everyone... Has anyone else had SCs demand to know your age? How did you deal with it? (Do you think I dealt with it alright? )
    By the way, I was 19 at the time, but one of the more experienced employees... I'd been there a LOT longer than the Senior Staff member on
    Re: Quiche.
    Pie is manly.
    Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
    Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
    So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Hmmm

It sounds like the age question was a sneaky beginning to an insult, I think you skillfully managed to divert her. You have been doing this job a long time haven't you...
    ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
    Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

You definitely handled it fine. It's none of her business how old you are. If you ever get it again, just say "Old enough to do my job."

BTW I love your avatar...so appropriate

PS
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You handled it as well as can be expected. You dodged the age question which the woman was obviously trying to use against you either t ofurther her own ends or at least to insult you. You upheld company policy and it's not your problem on how people spend their money.

Kudos to you for keeping a level head

M
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

First welcome to CS. Second you handled it well as you followed policy. As for the age question, I got it asked a few weeks ago by a bunch of idiots who looked to be my age.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

That's one of my biggest pet peeves! I can't believe I haven't brought it up before.
            I've always looked young for my age. I'm almost 30 now, and I still have customers saying things to me like, "Oh, are you not in school today? I didn't think the high schools were closed today". When I tell someone I graduated already, they inevitably say "So you're saving up money for college?" Finally I just tell them that I finished high school almost 12 years ago and finished university over eight years ago. They sometimes look embarassed, but the older I get, the more I take it as a compliment.
            The bad ones are when they do the "How old are you?" in that sarcastic snooty tone, as if to imply that I am not experienced enough to know how the world works and I'm too young and stupid to understand and administer my store's policies. Its incredibly insulting. It would be incredibly insulting if I was 16 years old, too. "How old are you" is just a way for someone to imply that you're stupid.
            I once had an elderly woman say that to me, and I was so tempted to say "And how old are YOU?" If you want to imply that I'm young and stupid, I will imply that you are old and senile. Alas, I was raised to have manners, even if others do not.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I got asked that question once, back in my RadioShack days. I don't remember the exact conversation; but it was between me and an "older" gentleman over a cellular contract.
              At the time, I was clean shaven. When I go completely fuzz free, I look like a kid. Right now, with my face fur and gray flecked hair, I still look 10 years younger than my 35 years. And its all natural! No Oil of Olay here!
              Anyway, he was asking about his cellular contract, trying to find an imaginary loophole to get out of paying for a service. He kept asking questions, and I kept telling him the same answers. When he knew he wasn't getting anywhere, he asked me how old I was. Like you, I said that it wasn't relevant to the conversation. But he wouldn't let up. He asked again. I sighed and said "I'm 31." He did a double take. He looked at me and said "Really? Damn, I thought you were a kid." I replied "No sir. You're only 2 years older than I am. And I've been doing this for 5 years. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about."
              The 33 year old construction guy was trying to pull something over on a what-he-thought-to-be 19 year old RS drone that had no power to change his contract.
              So now when people ask me that, my standard reply is: "Older than you think, with the experience to back it up."
              Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

My answer is "Old enough to drink, not old enough to get an Early Bird Special."

It's truthful, and I answered their question. ((They don't need to know that I'm only 21, and the boss of people who are older than me. ^_^ ))
                Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

I only ever get asked how old I am when I work overnight. Mostly it's drunk guys who obviously guess before asking me, cos one gets excited about being "right" when I tell them I'm 19. When I was new, I got it during the day too, cos I was still learning and not very confident. But now I know what I'm talking about, so people don't question me. That's my theory, anyway.
                  Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
                  Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
                  <3 Arrested Development

Comment

No one's ever actually asked how old I am, unless it was relevant to whatever we were chitchatting about, but I'd get a lot of customers who would assume I was in school. I was done with school before I ever started working there.

Comment

Quoth Cesii View Post
                      You have been doing this job a long time haven't you...
                      At the time I had been doing that job about... 8-10 months I believe. I hadn't had to handle too many sucky customers, not ones outside the realm of your basic belligerent whiners anyway, so I was still pretty new at dealing with grumpy bums at the time hehe

What always cracks me up when I think about this incident is, I am ALWAYS mistaken to be a lot older in person, and quite often on the phone too. I had a door-to-door salesman start giving me the whole speech (to give to the homeowner!) once when I was 12... I was like "Do you wanna talk to my parents? "

Thankyou for the avatar compliment! I made it myself... It came to me in a fit of inspiration while reading these boards
                      Re: Quiche.
                      Pie is manly.
                      Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
                      Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
                      So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post
                        Thankyou for the avatar compliment! I made it myself... It came to me in a fit of inspiration while reading these boards
                        You're welcome

I can see that one being adopted as a CS catchphrase

Comment

SC: "And how old ARE you?!"
                          ME: "Old enough to know that asking other people their age is very rude."
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

One of my colleagues gets this once in a while, because she looks way younger than she is (damn her! ). Anyways, her reply is, "Old enough to be telling you [insert what she is trying to tell them]."
                            -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                            -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Wikid

Quoth BusyBee View Post
                              At the time I had been doing that job about... 8-10 months I believe.
                              You must be a natural then ...
                              Last edited by Ackee; 03-19-2007, 05:53 PM. Reason: erm...
                              ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                              Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X