• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karma's a bitch, and so are you

Cast: Me, seller of gasoline and twinkies
    SC, young woman who's been rude to me before
    SCF, man I've never met before, presumably her friend

Background: I had an encounter with this particular SC a few weeks before the following incident. I accidentally shortchanged her, which was my fault, but she was unneccisarily mean about it. It's really not a very exciting story.

So on this particular night, SC and her friend entered my store, bought some snacks and gas, and left. A few minutes later, they return.

SC: Um, I accidentally locked my keys in the car, do you have a coat hanger or something?
    Me: nope, sorry
    SC: You don't have anything long or thin like that? I just need to unlock my car.
    Me: (thinks for a second to figure if any of the cleaning supplies or food prep equipment fits the bill) No sorry, we don't have anything like that.
    SC: (nastily) What, you're not even going to look?

Before that she was being polite, but she went from zero to bitch in two seconds flat. Not surprising considering how she's yelled at me before, but at this point I'm really just want to get her out of my store.

Me: I'll look if you want me to, but I'm almost certain we don't have anything.

I look around the office and storage room, and as predicted, don't find anything flat or long enough to fit into the interior of the car door. I return to the counter.

Me: As I said, we don't have anything that will get your door unlocked. If you want you can borrow our phonebook, but other than that I can't really help you.
    SCF: Um, excuse me, but why are you being so rude?
    Me: I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but I --
    SC: It's just cause she's a bitch, let's just go! (storms towards the door)
    Me: Ookay then...
    SC: (makes rude gesture at me and leaves)

I must say, I have never enjoyed watching someone struggle to unlock their car so much. I feel bad for the other customers who stopped to help them though. For those who are curious, they did eventually get the door unlocked, about half an hour later.

Bonus Story! (only slightly related)

Most complaints that end up on this site are exaggerations or distortions, but this may be the only complaint about an incident that never happened.

A few days after the above incident, my manager mentions that he got a complaint about me from some lady who says I was rude to her. Oh boy.

Me: was it the lady who locked her keys in the car? Because I was trying not to be rude, but she was crazy, and...
    Manager: What? No, this lady says you refused to give her change on a prepay.

(For those who don't know how gas prepays work, if you prepay $20 and only pump, say, $15 worth of gas, you can come back inside and we give you the change. It's not a refund in the usual sense, it's how the prepay system works, and I do it all the time. Suffice to say, I have no idea what he's talking about.)

Me: what? That makes no sense, I've never refused to do a prepay refund, and I don't remember having problems with any customers about one.
    Manager: So you don't know what incident the complaints about?
    Me: I have no clue whatsoever.
    Manager: Yeah, I thought it sounded off, because if you didn't know how to do prepays I'd have had more complaints about it, and I didn't see anything on the security tapes.
    Me: That is way bizzare.
    Manager: Well, I guess I can call her back and try to get an exact date and time and check the tapes again, but other thaUn that, I dunno.

He never mentioned it again, and to this day, I have no idea what that was about. It probably wasn't the SC from the first story, because she had no reason to make up an entirely new incident when she could just distort the one that did happen. My best guess is that it was a case of mistaken identity; at the time I had several coworkers who fit my general physical description (same race, age range, weight, and hair color), including one whose name was similar to mine ( not using real names, but think Joseph/Joshua). It's even possible that they called the wrong store; We're part of a chain with multiple stores in the area. In any case, it was weird.
    It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Quoth Lady_Foxfire View Post
    Me: As I said, we don't have anything that will get your door unlocked. If you want you can borrow our phonebook, but other than that I can't really help you.
    SCF: Um, excuse me, but why are you being so rude?
    Me: I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but I --
    SC: It's just cause she's a bitch, let's just go! (storms towards the door)
    Me: Ookay then...
    SC: (makes rude gesture at me and leaves)
    Pot...kettle
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Actually, I'd be a little leery of helping someone break into a car.

First off, it might not be their car.

Secondly, if they fuck it up, they'll blame you.

Give them the phone number for a locksmith next time. Or call a cop and see if he'll handle it. Possibly a tow guy.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        Give them the phone number for a locksmith next time. Or call a cop and see if he'll handle it. Possibly a tow guy.

Locksmith, or tow company, a cop will only do it if there's a child in the car, due to liabilty reasons(the locksmith and tow companies are insured in case something gets damaged).
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          Secondly, if they fuck it up, they'll blame you.
          Right. If you gave them a coat hanger, and they scratched their car, they come in and bitch at you about it.

Had a similar thing when I worked at MalWart in college, and this old couple came to the service desk asking for help when their car broke down. They wanted me to call them a cab and a repair shop.

Um, here's a phone book. See this pile of returns and the line of customers behind you? That's my job, thanks.

Comment

The second incident could be a case of mistaken store identity; ie, the customer has this happen to them at another store with the same use as yours, in this case, a petrol station. Customer is too brain addled to do the obvious, which would be to work out which petrol station it happened at, and instead calls the first one which comes to mind to register the complaint.

We've had that happen a few times, including one SC who screeched swear words down the phone til I was able to get a word in edgeways and inform her that we were NOT the "We Killed Spongebob" petrol station; her first words had been, "Is this 'We Killed Spongebob? Well..." and into the swearing. xD
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post

That's why I offered them our phone book, so they could call a tow truck themselves. I would have offered to look it up for them if they hadn't been so rude to me.
              It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

Working...
              X