This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Day, Whole Suck

Praise da' Lord, away football game this weekend, half day Saturday! Half day! No towing! Dispatch only! Let the rookies do the towing, I'm free, kick back and just chill......

Yeah.... about that......

And This was the FIRST Call of the Day!

-*RING*
    Me -Friendly Neighborhood Towing, Argabarga speaking
    Her -Yes, are you a primary care site?
    Me -Excuse me?
    Her -Uhm..... are you primary care?
    Me -I don't understand what you're asking
    Her -Your clinic, are you primary care?
    Me -This isn't a clinic, this is a towing company
    Her -Oh, *click*

Worth noting, the last line was total deadpan, a la' Stephen Wright, no inflection whatsoever. No "oops, I misdailed! Sorry!" or "Whoops, I feel really stupid now" vibe to it, just a total "oh, well, I guess the towing company isn't a doctor's office after all" kind of air about it...... I mean, I'm game for anything, but you probably don't want me trying to fix YOU, your car I can handle.

Money Can be Exchanged for Goods and Services, Goods and Services are not Available Without Money

Lady -Yes, I locked my keys in my car, is there anyway you could like, break back into it for me?
    Me -Yes, we offer lock out services, that would be $45
    Lady -Forty five bucks?!
    Me -Yes, unless you have a motor club, otherwise, it's the cash rate of...
    Lady -Well, I DON'T HAVE A MOTOR CLUB!
    Me -Then it would be a $45 service
    Lady -Well, *giggle* *giggle* I'm not paying $45 to get my car unlocked!
    Me -Okay, then I can't help you, really.

Lady -You mean, there isn't any way to, just get me back in, for free?
    Me -Nope, it takes specialized tools to get back into a car that you're locked out of, that's why it costs $45 to do it. We have to send a truck out and treat it like a roadside service
    Lady -Oh, okay, bye *Click*

You want back in for free? Find a rock, those are free and plentiful last I checked.

You Had 15 Minutes to Move Your Car, You Now Have 15 Minutes to Move Your Cube

Lady comes in and comes up to the counter and asks "Where's my stuff?" Not a terribly informative question, so I of course have no option but to look like a total dope and say "What stuff?'

"The stuff that was in my car, all my important stuff was in there!" she says. Okay, common issue when a car comes in for extended repair/impound, sometimes valuables get taken with it, because lots of folks for some reason think their car is the perfect place to leave things like their wallet and/or purse unattended, but that's a whole nother' rant. So we always have people coming by to get belongings out of cars, the problem is, we can't find the one she's talking about. "It's a blue VW" she says, but there's no VW to be had around here. Closest one we have is the wrong model, color and far too new, this was a 94' it looks like.....

It's not out front, it's not on the side parking lot for service, it's not in the back with the wrecks/bodyshop cars and it's not in the impound lot, even the weedy overgrown part where stuff has been sitting and quietly rusting for almost a year now (when a car with out-of-state plates gets abandoned, it can take a long time to get a clear title to dispose of it, durn the glacial pace of the DMV!)

So, after we can't find it after a quick visual check of the lots, we ask if she's certain we even had it to start with since we aren't the only tow company in town. Oh yes she says, it came in here as a wreck a while ago, and she knows we have it because her insurance company totaled the car and she mailed us the title for it two months ago... so we could get rid of it.

*record needle scratch*

Wait, it was a wrecked car, and you mailed us the title........ TWO MONTHS ago?

Uh oh...... that's not good.

See, earlier this week, Goober, the guy who runs the local junkyard came by the lot and took with him an odd assortment of wrecked or long abandoned cars we had obtained titles for and flagged as "salvage" off to be scraped and re purposed, and one of them was this lady's VW. Since she sent in the title, over 30 days back, and never mentioned to us in the interim needing to get anything out of the car, we'd assumed that meant she didn't want it, or anything IN it, anymore. An assumption that seemed both logical and correct since that was by her own admission two months ago. So, as is proceedure, the car was loaded wholesale on a flatbed semi and went down the road, with whatever was still in it, well, in it....

She wasn't too happy to learn her car and whatever "important stuff" contained therein was now probably cube-shaped and halfway to China , but I did give her the Towing Manager's number and told her to cal him Monday, he can deal with this mess.

I kinda sympathize, but seriously lady, you had TWO MONTHS to just make a simple phone call, stop by, write a letter, send up a smoke signal or SOMETHING to tell us not to junk that car just yet.... instead you assumed we'd just hold it for you forever... or until you were good and ready to come in....

And now, the only way you'll ever see it again is if you go down to Wal Mart and buy yourself a brand new waffle iron for Christmas, part of your VW MAY be in there by then .......

I am so outta here.......... WEEKEND HERE I COME!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Two...months? What took her that long? Was she in the hospital or some such? If the things in her car were that important, one would think she'd have gotten them out of the cube--er--car a long time ago. Maybe there's a logical explanation, but I have a feeling the lady just plain didn't think about the fact that you might actually get rid of her car instead of keeping it forever.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      You want back in for free? Find a rock, those are free and plentiful last I checked.
      Which makes it free to get in. But now you have to pay for a new window, which I guarantee will cost more than $45.

She should have coughed up the cash.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      You Had 15 Minutes to Move Your Car, You Now Have 15 Minutes to Move Your Cube
      When you close on a house, anything not cleared out of it at closing becomes the property of the new owner. I got some great odds and ends left my place when I bought it.

If you send in the title to your car, it means you no longer own it. If you didn't come get your stuff, don't come crying to me.
      Last edited by Dave1982; 09-30-2012, 03:03 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote tag
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Too bad, so sad for the lady...or not. If it took her two months to find out that she has "missing important things" that could be in her former car, than they weren't so important in the first place, was it? See, usually, that would take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for it to dawn on the person that just MAYBE they need to check for things to get out of this car that they sent the title out for.

Maybe part of that VW ended up at my store in the home-furnishings department. Let's go call her and see if her "important things" are now here!

Comment

I did a final check of my car when I brought them the title, a few days after it was totaled out. The only stuff left was in the truck, which was in the back seat after the accident. None of us could make entry to it in any way so we just sucked it up and lost the nice jumper cables and other emergency gear. We were able to get a hand and camera in there so my insurance reimbursed for what they could see in the picture and what we could list.

Guess I don't feel so bad now that this was 2 weeks after it was brought in (waiting on the insurance company payout).

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post

When you close on a house, anything not cleared out of it at closing becomes the property of the new owner. I got some great odds and ends left my place when I bought it.

If you send in the title to your car, it means you no longer own it. If you didn't come get your stuff, don't come crying to me.
            It's funny you mention that, just last week, we had a relator call us down to a property they just bought to yank the old land yacht of a car (an 88' Crown Vic) out of the garage and tow it to the junkyard. Seems the previous owner wrecked it back around 09' according to the last registration stickers, limped it home, put it in the garage, and then decided it was someone else's problem when they sold the house. Actually, the car still probably runs, but, it had out-of-state plates from a state where you CAN still legally drive a badly-wrecked car around, PA is notorious for having a tight safety inspection code by comparison. They probably were pulled over by a cop, told to get it re-registered in this state, and when the garage they took it to said they'd need about $1,000 in junkyard parts to make it legal again, they said "heck with this!" and put it in the garage, where it spent the next 3 years accumulating trash, the whole car was STUFFED like a burrito with typical "garage" junk. Hope none of it was important either
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

That's just crazy. If it was really important she wouldn't have waited two months to reclaim her property Probably another SC thinking that the towing company elmployees are now babysitters.

I haven't had much luck reclaiming leftover items, but my (now ex) girlfriend was helping her boss move to a new house, and in the new house they reclaimed an Apple bluetooth Wireless keyboard (not the slim one though), and an iPod Nano. She gave me the wireless keyboard, but since I was too much in love with the fancier slim keyboard that had just come out I sold the found one for a pretty penny.

There's also a magazine out there about found objects called... wait for it.. "Found".

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                That's just crazy. If it was really important she wouldn't have waited two months to reclaim her property Probably another SC thinking that the towing company elmployees are now babysitters.

I haven't had much luck reclaiming leftover items, but my (now ex) girlfriend was helping her boss move to a new house, and in the new house they reclaimed an Apple bluetooth Wireless keyboard (not the slim one though), and an iPod Nano. She gave me the wireless keyboard, but since I was too much in love with the fancier slim keyboard that had just come out I sold the found one for a pretty penny.

There's also a magazine out there about found objects called... wait for it.. "Found".
                That sounds familiar - did they do a special print issue a while back where every copy came with a found object? That was kind of cool I think my copy had a shopping list.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

in my old car i got it free... whenever i had access to a wire hanger, or the time i locked my keys inside it .. in front of the gas pump.

while i was there blocking the pump i was costing the company sales, so they got a locksmith out there asap

Comment

Working...
                  X