This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutty sald bar ( Kinda long again)

During the summer, I had a job working at a cantina for a, fairly big, international company. I got the job through my mother, who is the boss lady at said cantina (Not that get special treatment or anything). This was my first time having a real summer job that paid, and I was excited (Even though I'm not overly fond of working with food)

My mom was having her vacation, and I was replacing her, her coworker was in charge. She's amazing, really nice, and explains what to do fairly well, so working with her is great

I could live without the customers

I lost count on how many of them tried to screw me over ( me being the new guy/girl/cookie) As such there were a lot of "This is usually cheaper" "That is usually bigger" "Things are usually faster Not really surprising but still

Now, this cantina has a salad bar, it contains many things, from normal tomatoes and cucumbers to crabsticks and meatballs. Of course, people were trying to trick me into putting things that weren't usually there in the salad bar. One such person was particularly annoying.

Annoying Fellow: Hey! You!
    (Such a great start)
    Me: Yes? can I help you?
    AF: Yes, why isn't there nut-mix in the salad bar? There is ALWAYS nuts in the salad bar!
    (This is bulls**t, by the way)
    Me: Really? I was told not to put nut-mix there.
    AF:You think I'm lying? The woman who usually works here ALWAYS gives us nut mix in the salad bar.
    Me: No, I'm pretty sure she doesn't, I was told that if we put nut-mix in the salad bar people just paid for a salad and grabbed a cup of nuts in addition to the salad instead of putting it in.
    AF: Don't you have any faith in humanity!?! Not everyone does that, it's not right that people SUFFER because others are greedy!
    Me: Well, I can't help you, I have to...
    AF: YES YOU CAN! YOU WORK HERE DON'T YOU?

By now I was pissed There was a lot for me to do, and this guy was lying to my face and yelling, so I lost my cheery and hospitable demeanour.

Me: Listen, yelling at me won't change anything. Blame your coworkers if you must, but not me! I DON'T decide what you put in the salad bar! So unless you need something else, I have better things to do!

This is pretty unusual for me, I'm a fairly meek person when dealing with people older than me, unless there some sort of a special circumstance.
    He looked really shocked that i had reacted, a lot of the people who work at the building seem to think they're better than the rest of us.

AF: How dare you! I will be telling our regular lady of your behavior and make sure you never work here again!
    Me: Oh no! What will i do without all the kind and cheerful people who work here.
    AF: I'll tell her you lied to me! Said we couldn't have nuts!
    Me: Right, You'll tell my Mother, who was the one to tell what to put in the salad bar in the first place, that I lied to you? Maybe I should tell her how rude you are? Or that you yelled at me after i told you you couldn't have your way?
    AF: She's your MOTHER? Oh, w-well I-I'll just be going now
    Me: Good!

He left and I heard no more complaints from him

Kudos for standing up to that jerk! As I'm reading, I'm thinking that at some point it would have been funny to start speaking out loud so that the rest of the Cantina could hear you, then repeat his ridiculous demands while pointing at him and looking at the rest of the patrons (as if to say, "Can you believe this guy??")

Comment

AF: How dare you! I will be telling our regular lady of your behavior and make sure you never work here again!
      Me: Oh no! What will i do without all the kind and cheerful people who work here.
      AF: I'll tell her you lied to me! Said we couldn't have nuts!
      Me: Right, You'll tell my Mother, who was the one to tell what to put in the salad bar in the first place, that I lied to you? Maybe I should tell her how rude you are? Or that you yelled at me after i told you you couldn't have your way?
      AF: She's your MOTHER? Oh, w-well I-I'll just be going now
      Me: Good!
      Are you sure this guy wasn't a very big 5yr old? I swear I've heard little kids use that line.

Comment

"Sir, It is not my fault if you don't have nuts. That is something you are either born with or not. You need to take that issue up with your creator."

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          "Sir, It is not my fault if you don't have nuts..."
          Just tell him to watch this if he wants nuts...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

"You are mistaken, sir. What the regular lady actually said was, 'There are always a lot of nuts coming to the salad bar.' And I see that she was right."
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X