This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
    But if that team changed their name, we could no longer call them "the Deadskins" when they perform poorly.

They could just change to their popular nickname, "the Skins," but where would they find a team named "the Shirts" to play?
    Split the difference. Dub them the "Redshirts." It amounts to the same thing when they're playing poorly.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
      (smaller, greasier, slow as molasses vs. bigger, cleaner and fast)
      I'm picturing it with these adjectives in mind and. It. Is. HILARIOUS!

Quoth wolfie View Post
      But I thought [spanish redskin]peanuts didn't have the ability
      I would totally start watching them again if they dressed out with a Mr. Peanut logo on their helmets!

"the Deadskins"
      "the Skins," but where would they find a team named "the Shirts" to play?
      Deadskins. sigh..... All too familiar. But believe it or not, despite being a fan since the Sonny Jurgensen days (Grew up in Beltsville, Ironclad.) I've never thought of the Shirts vs. Skins angle.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      Split the difference. Dub them the "Redshirts." It amounts to the same thing when they're playing poorly.
      sigh again....fixed that for ya. Although Morris has been an unexpectedly pleasant surprise.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Thread Topic:

Sauerkraut!

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        Um correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Italian insult "Wogs" not "Wops"
        My apologies to my Italian friends, but the two most common anti-Italian slurs I've heard in my life were "wops" and "dagos." Never heard "wogs" before. And as a child, I lived in a high-Italian area. (Which is part of the reason why I am such a fan of their wonderful cuisine!)

Quoth auntiem View Post
        Picture if you will: A car full of students on the way to Seattle - the girls in the front are discussing and comparing the Dick's in Seattle vs. the Dick's in Spokane (smaller, greasier, slow as molasses vs. bigger, cleaner and fast) only to look in the rearview mirror to see the horrified looks on the men in the backseat who weren't from WA and had no idea that we were discussing a restaurant.
        Freakin' hilarious!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          And as a child, I lived in a high-Italian area. (Which is part of the reason why I am such a fan of their wonderful cuisine!)
          It actually took me a while as a child to learn the difference between "local (New Orleans) food" and "Italian food" >_> They are *almost* equated in many people's minds to this day, as "Italian-NOLA crossover food" (as opposed to Cajun or Creole....yes, they are different things!).
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            My apologies to my Italian friends, but the two most common anti-Italian slurs I've heard in my life were "wops" and "dagos." Never heard "wogs" before. And as a child, I lived in a high-Italian area. (Which is part of the reason why I am such a fan of their wonderful cuisine!)
            Hm, I thought 'wog' was for those of the Indian subcontinent, or the further East portions of the British Empire as it was. [Wily Oriental Gentleman was as I remember seeing it in some damned book or another]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Don't forget the Brown 'n' Serve.
              Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                gma made sweet sauerkraut. Oh mmmmmm
                My grandmother made saurkraut and put it up in mason jars, all pressurized & everything for long shelf life, no refrigeration needed. Unfortunately, I never was much of a fan of saurkraut in general, but everyone raved over hers.

Though I probably wouldn't have been so fond of it anyway after what in the family became known as "the summer of the saurkraut".

I was maybe 10 or 12 years old. We were living on the west coast. My Dad's family was back in the south east. Every year, when my dad got his two weeks vacation, he'd herd us all into the car, head it east, and set endurance records on driving to get back "home", spend a few days, then do it in reverse. We never saw a thing along the way, as the point was to make the best time getting there so we could visit longer.

Anyway, both my Dad & my sister loved my grandmother's saurkraut. And so they decided they just had to bring some home with us. We had a station wagon, and the middle seat lifted up for storage. A few jars of Grandma's saurkraut fit nicely in there.

So we headed back west, packed with their goodies under the seat my sister & I were in. In the 1960's, when few cars were air conditioned, and definitely not my Dad's old clunkers. Across the southwestern US. In July.

I think the explosion took place somewhere in Arizona. I do know that when my Dad finally sold the car several years later, it still smelled vaguely of saurkraut.....

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  My apologies to my Italian friends, but the two most common anti-Italian slurs I've heard in my life were "wops" and "dagos." Never heard "wogs" before.
                  Just wanted to point out that a slang term could be quite innocent in one context but not in another (e.g. "to knock someone up" has vastly different meanings in England and North America). To people from the RAF during WW2, "WOP" was not offensive at all - it was merely a slang term for Wireless OPerator.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    (e.g. "to knock someone up" has vastly different meanings in England and North America)
                    There's a very funny bit in the book Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult that talks about that exact double meaning. (in the scene, two of the characters had sex with one another, he's British, she's American, she wakes up as he pops out of the shower and he goes "I hope I didn't knock you up" which causes confusion between the two of them )
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      (e.g. "to knock someone up" has vastly different meanings in England and North America).
                      Being in North America, I do not know the English meaning. Will someone enlighten me?
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Being in North America, I do not know the English meaning. Will someone enlighten me?
                        waking up someone from their sleep.

Aussies also use the American meaning,
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                          Aussies also use the American meaning,
                          Sorry, but my Mother still laughs about the visiting American service men during WWII when all the Aussie girls were saying "Sorry about the next dance but I'm knocked up" (meaning tired) and the Americans thought they were pregnant.

Now that's two funny meanings!

Comment

A few years ago, my mom had two friends visiting from Northern Ireland. I wasn't working at the time, and volunteered to take them around Boston and Cambridge for the day. We all drove to work with mom (she was still working for Psycho at that point) and split up from there. As we're discussing when and where mom wants to meet up with us, mom innocently asks: "Does anyone want a fanny pack? [Boss] has dozens."

It dawned on her about the same time the rest of us start laughing.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I recall a similar topic last year about someone being offended by food, but someone had put a clever reply that the person (from that thread), would be disappointed because a Moon Pie was not, in fact, from the moon.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                                Well, supposedly, the term is kind of an English bastardization of the word "guapo,"
                                Who knows? the true origin is long lost in time. The fact that it's an vaguely Italianish salad of sorts suggests a tangential link. To be fair tho, the name has fallen out of use somewhat (but certainly not universally). Recipe here if ya want it ^_^
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X