This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No I'm not going to do it either.

I open an account for Uncle. Everything checks out. He gets a savings, a checking, a debit card, is happy and leaves.

Then Uncle brings Nephew in, and they sit down with co-worker to open an account for Nephew. Coworker pulls a Chex Hit on him and he has an unpaid charge-off of a checking account with another bank. Recent, only 4 months old. There is only one record, and it is not marked as fraud, so we can still open a savings, but we can't open a checking until that record has hit one year old (without a new record popping up in the meanwhile), or until he has positive active savings history with us for a year.

Well, Uncle throws a fit. HE didn't have any trouble opening an account, why is his Nephew having so much trouble. He now wants to talk to me, not my co-worker.

So, time for me to repeat (politely of course) the exact same things that co-worker told them. Uncle had no trouble because HE didn't have an unpaid checking account negative balance at another bank. Nephew, however, DOES have an unpaid negative. Thus, he must face the consequences, one of which is not being able to open a checking account with us right away.

Still with the fits. WHY can't Nephew open a checking? Why would he have to wait 8 months or a year to get a checking. It's not HIS fault that bank charged *insert random fees here* and the bill was never paid. That's why they LEFT that bank. Too many fees.

Be that as it may, the record still shows an unpaid negative account, and that means no checking. Not until the record is at least a year old, or you have a year of good account history with us. (Can you feel the repeating here?)

Frankly, there are places that wouldn't accept Nephew as a customer at all. Don't think I didn't notice that 486 credit score (which means you have a lot more unpaid balances than just the one checking account). He should be glad that score doesn't prevent him from opening an account with us altogether, because I know of places where it would.

*sigh*

Wow, Nephew sounds like a right winner. /sarcasm

I'm wondering, though, if Nephew paid off the negative, would his account return to normal and allow him to open a checking account?

Comment

Wow. You really have to be trying to get a score that low.

If Nephew has the funds to get a new checking account, maybe he should look into paying off some of the crap that's on his record. >_>

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Lore View Post
        Wow, Nephew sounds like a right winner. /sarcasm

I'm wondering, though, if Nephew paid off the negative, would his account return to normal and allow him to open a checking account?
        Unlikely. I ran into this issue after my divorce. The answer I was given was no. I had to suck it up and wait 7 years for it to clear off my credit report.

Fortunately, I only had to suffer with it for a year before another bank was willing to give me a checking account. I'd actually been on the system for 2 years without knowing before I tried opening a new account after I moved to another state--it didn't affect the account I had at the time. Fortunately for me I had not closed my checking account in the former state, so I was able to pay my bills. But I some times had problems in places that wouldn't take out of state checks.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My ex went through something like that when I was still with her. She had a savings account, and a checking account which she overdrew. She claims that she did a transfer from savings into her checking account to cover the checks she wrote, and that they screwed it up. Highly unlikely, but I suppose it's possible. But the bottom line is, she didn't call them about it or try to follow it up in any way.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
          X