Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's worth noting that if you pay off the balance before the limit, you only end up paying about 1/4-1/2 more than if you went typical retail. I did that when I had to have a fridge today, and didn't have money for a few months. Still have that fridge 6 years later, too. I noticed that appliances were less stupidly marked up than electronics; I guess they figure people who buy shiny stuff when they can't afford to are more likely to pay too much for the privilege.

Plus, RTO will build your credit. You need to have a history if you're ever going to get a loan for anything.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
      That's true of just about ANY 'rent to own' establishment. A few years ago, I looked into renting a laptop from an RTO-type place when my desktop bit the big one. I looked at a fairly nice Toshiba rig but damn near choked when I figured out the 'final' price of it after all payments - nearly three grand. No sale.
      For $3000 it had better be a super top of the line gaming rig that will run circles around even the future PS4! And perhaps at least a petabyte hard drive wouldn't hurt either...

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Apparently the cool thing now is hubcaps that are a flat black, brown or gray. They look even more retarded than obnoxiously shiny rims, as if that was even possible.
        There's a Lexus sedan in my neighborhood that's a bright green - with the same matching green spokes on the wheels.

Definitely looks ridiculous.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
          There's a Lexus sedan in my neighborhood that's a bright green - with the same matching green spokes on the wheels.

Definitely looks ridiculous.
          I'm waiting for the colored/transparent tires.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            The things I Google . . .

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/200...rent-tire.html

Whoever would have thought they existed?
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
              For $3000 it had better be a super top of the line gaming rig that will run circles around even the future PS4!.
              I think what ADM meant was that, if the "real price" is, say a grand, then you will end up paying closer to 3 grand over time if you use RTO to purchase it.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                I think what ADM meant was that, if the "real price" is, say a grand, then you will end up paying closer to 3 grand over time if you use RTO to purchase it.
                Correct. The laptop in question would probably have retailed for $700-800, certainly no more than a grand, at a regular electronics store. I ended up buying a four-year-old used laptop for like $100 to tide me over until I could build me a new desktop. Best $100 I ever spent; that old laptop is STILL functional.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  . . .michelins-transparent-tire.
                  Very cool idea. But what do I do when melted snow gets in them and refreezes and locks me onto the driveway?

(Good Dog, I've gone native. My first thought at a new car-related part is "Yeah, but hows it handle in the snow?")

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    If memory serves me correctly, there WERE at one time several tire companies that sold colored tires back in the 1990's. like Blue or red or yellow.

one of the big reasons they really never reached the market was (according to the 60 minutes type program) gang related. different gangs have different colors associated with them. SO they could lay down some rubber to either "claim" territory or disrespect another gang's area.

ETA: I did a quick Google search and found that China is selling and possibly importing such tires.
                    Last edited by Racket_Man; 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth TheScaryOne View Post
                      Plus all of these large wheels are HEAVY. You're adding unsprung weight in one of the worst areas you can, on the outside of the spinning radius of your tires. This kills fuel efficiency, power, braking, and handling. I believe in a statistic I read that any vehicle with wheels larger than 19" are for looks, not performance.
                      Yep, that's *exactly* why they do it. I can understand swapping out steel rims for wires or magnesium for weight savings, plus wires are cool. Even Minilites in the MG world have a bit of "period" appeal to them--they were fitted on some rally and race cars over the years. Most of the time, at least the guys I know, will fit wheels that are pretty much standard sizes. Oversize (taller) rims screw with speedometer readings, so if they do go up +1 in rim, they'll decrease the tire's sidewall by the same amount. The overall diameter is the same, and there's no recalibrating of the speedometer.

Still, I can understand wanting low-profile rubber. You get less sidewall flex and a bigger patch on the road. But, some of those fools take it to the extreme. The rims that they fit are so large, it looks like someone stretched a rubber band over the rim. Sure you may think it looks good, but is the trade off in increased noise and a bone-jarring ride really worth it?

I've also noticed, that many of those cars with the 22-28 rims tended to be lifted as well. I can't really see the point in this, other than to raise the vehicle's center of gravity. Not exactly what you want when attempting to take corners. Not surprisingly, such vehicles tend to act like overladen hippos in corners. I'm just waiting to see some idiot in a 1980s Chevy Impala flip at 25mph because their suspension system sucks!
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Insurance

@docmayhem
                        I'll get "competitor's" quotes from customers. I'm amazed at what some of the local shops will recommend.

Me: [Greeting]
                        NOL (Nice Old Lady): Hello, I'm looking for some tires for my car.
                        Me: What kind of car do you have?
                        NOL: A 2010 Lincoln.
                        Me: Do you know which model Lincoln you have?
                        NOL: I think it's an MK.... MK... MK..S?
                        Me: Well, it looks like there is an MKS, an MKZ, an MKX, and an MKT.
                        NOL: Oh geeze.
                        Me: Do you happen to know what tire size you have on it? It should cut down the options.
                        NOL: I have a quote from [competition] for some 2-2-5-5-0-R-1-7 9-4-T
                        Me: Alright, that size only came on the MKZ, but they quoted you on a 94T tire? That would be a poor fitment for your Lincoln. Ford designed the suspension around the V performance rating tire which has firmer sidewalls. If you put on the T performance tire your braking distance will increase, the vehicle will have more body roll during turns, and it will upset more easily over uneven road surfaces. I strongly recommend keeping the V performance rating to preserve the factory specifications and handling. If you put the T ratings on it will degrade the ride and you will notice it.
                        NOL: Really?
                        Me: Yes. What did they quote you on?
                        NOL: The Michelin Defender tire with 90 thousand mile warranty.
                        Me: All right. I believe your MKZ came with Michelin's from the factory, but they should be the MXM4 or MXV4's. I have a set in stock at $X. They only feature a 50 thousand mile warranty though.
                        NOL: You can't get the Defenders? They're supposed to be Michelin's premium passenger tire.
                        Me: Unfortunately the Defender's are only made in a T-rating in the size for your Lincoln, and are actually a T-rated tire only. Your vehicle was designed around performance tires, not standard passenger tires. Something that would take these Defenders would be more like a minivan or a station wagon.
                        Correct me if I am wrong, but in bigger insurance cases where if the accident will cost them something like a million dollars. Don't the companies look for things like this bad set of tires so that they don't have to pay out so much or to give them reason to raise your rates even more than they could have if you were using the right wheels?

Comment

re: colored tires -- I recently saw something akin to that. A car around here has a set of whitewall tires (~ Are you gonna cruise the Miracle Mile? ~) that must have a 90% white visible surface area >_>

Quoth protege View Post
                          Not exactly what you want when attempting to take corners. Not surprisingly, such vehicles tend to act like overladen hippos in corners
                          "Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, ... steers like a cow"
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This will be postings from my daily dealings with idiot customers who are shopping for any kind of repair or upgrade for their vehicle.

Me: Alright, it looks like your buick has a 215/70R15 size tire.
                            SC: No, it's got 24's.
                            Me: Oh, alright. (Should have told me that initially) What size 24" tires does it have?
                            SC: 24"
                            Me: Sir, there are actually three parts to a tire size, the first number is the width, the second is the sidewall height, and the third is the wheel size, which is 24".
                            SC: I don't know.
                            Me: Tires will cost you somewhere between $800 and $1800 dollars. Depending on size.
                            SC: Holy crap that's expensive. Do you have a good used set?
                            I second the "Holy Crap". I recently priced out Michelin XZA3 Infinitread tires in 11R22.5 (you probably don't stock that size, and I'm sure there are people other than myself who will see the description and size, and realize that I WASN'T looking for "bling"), and they were around $800 each INSTALLED AND BALANCED. $1800 each for a tire? That's ridiculously high.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              re: colored tires -- I recently saw something akin to that. A car around here has a set of whitewall tires (~ Are you gonna cruise the Miracle Mile? ~) that must have a 90% white visible surface area >_>

"Looks like a fish, moves like a fish, ... steers like a cow"
                              'Pimpwalls', my dad used to call them back in the 1970s. I saw them all the time on ridiculously over-accessorized Lincolns and Cadillacs, and the fellows that drove those cars were as just as ridiculously over-accessorized - to the point of looking almost like cartoon characters.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                                'Pimpwalls', my dad used to call them back in the 1970s. I saw them all the time on ridiculously over-accessorized Lincolns and Cadillacs, and the fellows that drove those cars were as just as ridiculously over-accessorized - to the point of looking almost like cartoon characters.
                                In Utah they were driven by *DSLOL's on their way to the Temple...

(*Dear Sweet Little Old Ladies)
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X