This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Flood of F-Bombs

While doing my rounds today I passed a couple talking and heard the woman say

"And she f*cking said..."

So I stopped. And continued to hear

"So I told her she could go f*ck herself because I'm not f*cking with her, she aint gonna f*ck with me and Kesha can f*ck off too, f*cking b*tch...."

So I caught up with her and asked "Ma'am, could you please watch the f-word please, we have kids in the mall."

She said "Yeah, ok, whatever" and kept walking, but her boyfriend/husband/other turned and asked (very politely though)

"Miss, why do you have a problem with her language? Is it hurting anyone?" I told him that this is a family friendly environment and we don't want to subject our customers to objectionable language like that. He looked around at the, admittedly, empty at that time mall and snorted "what customers?" I told him there were enough for someone to hear her and become upset. He shrugged and caught up with her.

Geeze, even if we didn't have any customers, the employees don't have to put up with that language either. It was just so.... over the top, like that was the only word she knew!
    Last edited by LillFilly; 10-27-2012, 03:50 PM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I can't help but laugh when I hear people who curse for no reason. Especially when they're teens. I feel like turning to them and asking, "Have you ever heard of a thesaurus? You could use one. Maybe then you'll have a vocabulary larger than 200 words."

It's almost like they don't hear themselves talking. I overheard a younger girl telling her friend, "I have to motherfucking pee!" I almost laughed, it sounded so ridiculous. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with people that stupid.

Comment

To quote a friend... "cursing, the crutch of an inarticulate motherfucker..."
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth static
        You'd hate to live in Ireland then, loads of people speak like this. Especially around Dublin. An American girl moved here and joined my class in our second last year of school and she was shocked at how much everyone curses over here.]
        I don't mind cursing in particular, between people who know each other (and especially if it's really creative stuff!), but not on private property in a building full of people where 'no foul language' is one of the rules they have to follow to be there, and they're just cursing for the sake of it.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I admittedly curse a lot.

In different languages. >.>

Comment

I swear like a sailor. But not in front of my kid or anyone else's.

And in general, not in public.

I may not BE classy, but I can pretend when around others.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

LillFilly, I'm sorry that my neighbors somehow wandered over to your mall...

Someone once said "Dirty words are the counterfeit currency of a bankrupt vocabulary."

There's a time and a place for it, like with everything else.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Profanity fucking sucks!
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Profanity fucking sucks!
                  The sad part is I bet a lot of people will not get the humor of that statement.

I remember one time at the games store there were a couple of young guys in the store who were cussing pretty freely while I served them. I eventually just hit my breaking point with them and told them politely but sternly: "Guys, please WATCH your language, there are kids in the store."

Fortunately they complied and that was the end of it.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I do agree that you should not swear at all in places where children are around but I really disagree that swearing has anything to do with the extent of a persons vocabulary.

I think that very often it can be more about how you say something than what you actually say. When I was a boy I spent time around seasonal farm workers. When I was 18, for a number of years I had a job in a night club working alongside and later hanging out with bouncers. These guys had a swear word in every other sentence that came out of their mouths but they were talking with a casual sense of familiarity and often with humour.

Yet I have heard other people swear in a harsh and aggressive manner. Even though they were using the same words, I found them to be offensive and threatening. Context is important. The situation as well as body language, facial expression and a host of other things. It can mean the difference between sounding like a comedian swearing on stage and a thug swearing angrily at someone.

Comment

Well fuck that.

Comment

...well that certainly illustrates the diversity of the word...

But seriously, what the fuck is their problem? Sure I talk like a sailor but... I know enough to zip it when I'm in a kids-might-be-around or a classier setting

Comment

As a teacher, I have taught myself to curtail my language in the classroom, and use other phrases when I just have to let off some pressure. The phrases I use the most are, "Bless It! Shastikovitch! Well THAT inhales with great velocity! and Triple thick fudgecicles!"
                          I have almost eradicated the F word from my vocabulary except in times of extreme stress.

One semester, I had a guy in my class that every other word was a curse word. I asked him to watch his language several times, but I finally could not let it go any further, and sat him down with a dictionary and a thesaurus and told him to find other words to express himself, and if her cursed in class I would not acknowledge his questions until he could ask them without using any curse words.
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                            I can't help but laugh when I hear people who curse for no reason. Especially when they're teens. I feel like turning to them and asking, "Have you ever heard of a thesaurus? You could use one. Maybe then you'll have a vocabulary larger than 200 words."

It's almost like they don't hear themselves talking. I overheard a younger girl telling her friend, "I have to motherfucking pee!" I almost laughed, it sounded so ridiculous. I'd be embarrassed to be associated with people that stupid.

People who use swear words a lot lack the proper vocabulary to express themselves with decent language. Maybe they're not ignorant but cursing a lot like they do makes them look like they are.

Comment

We don't let people talk like that when they're at the tables. One of my favorite supervisors, A, takes great pleasure in tossing them out if they don't comply with that particular rule. One of them said once, "I can't help it, I'm a tradesman!"

Her reply? "You're a grown man, and you're responsible for your own choices. I refuse to believe that you're incapable of knocking that off when you've been told repeatedly that the staff won't tolerate it. So you can either stop swearing, or you can go home."
                              Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

Working...
                              X