Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't believe you risked your lives to be here!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe you risked your lives to be here!

On Monday, my particular state got hit with Sandy. 8AM that morning the state was actually in a state of emergency and speed limits were lowered on the highway. But our mall was still open because it had to follow suit with the other malls in the area, and if our largest retailers were open, we were. I couldn't believe the number of elderly 'mall walkers' that made it in that morning, since roads were actually being closed, buses canceled, and umbrellas being blown inside-out! Throughout the day, stores began getting instructed by their corporate offices to close. One of our biggest retailers held-out till about 1:30PM before closing (Originally we were going to be closing at 5pm and had posted signs stating this), which meant we were now closing the entire mall. I had to make the rounds to the remaining stores to spread the news and inform customers on the way. Let's put it this way; weather conditions have to be EXTREME when a 24 hour Mart of Wal closes! (Poor store had a wiped-out camping section, which I fully expect will be restocked with all the returns they get after the storm blows through!)

Cue relieved employees and pissed-off Customers.

One family gave me a hell of a hard time, saying snottily "Well, the SIGN says the mall closes at 5!" I explained due to weather we were closing at 2. They argued "No, your sign says 5!" I snapped and said "Well we're closing NOW!"

Another guy that I turned-away as I was locking the doors complained that this was 'f-ing rediculous!' and that it was just a little rain! I told him we'd rather be safe than sorry and that some areas were worse than ours and we had employees that needed to get home. He continued cussing back to his car.

It amused me all the people who parked at the curb to run into the mall, while wearing summer-style clothing, no hats, rain coats, etc. and then bitched about 'how wet it is!' Um, we humans invented rain coats and boots and hats for a reason! USE THEM!!!!'

So we got it at both ends. Employees AND Customers (?) pissed that we had opened in the first place, and then Customers pissed that we had the audacity to close early! Some apparently had driven to all the other malls in the area, found them closed, and came to ours. They might not value their lives, but I wanted to be able to see my mall's employees alive the next day!

By 4PM I barely made it home myself; I know my vehicle's abilities, but I was worried about all the nuts out there driving without headlights, getting blown about by tractor trailers (who were supposed to be banned from the highways anyway!) and cars riding my ass despite the reduced speed of 45mph.

Gah.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

There are people who will attempt to shop in the middle of a hurricane, when the lights in your store are visibly blinking on and off due to the high winds and gushing rain outside and you are desperately trying to close things down so that you can go home.

But grandma just HAS to have her chewing gum....
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I continue to be amazed at how misinformed and downright idiotic the public is when a friggen hurricane is coming. "Just a little rain"... yeah, tell that to the many people who just lost their homes after a tree slammed into it or the houses that burned to their foundations because the wind spread it across dozens of blocks and the firefighters were unable to reach the flames.
      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
      Fiancee: What?!
      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Honestly, I'd have been tempted to gather the employees and mall staff in the most central, safest part of the mall (furthest from either outside walls or skylights); and wait it out together. Safer than risking trying to travel home.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Honestly, I'd have been tempted to gather the employees and mall staff in the most central, safest part of the mall (furthest from either outside walls or skylights); and wait it out together. Safer than risking trying to travel home.
          There's probably a liability issue with that. Which is sad because that is definitely better than asking everyone to drive home in the weather.
          Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
          Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
          Fiancee: What?!
          Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Wish I had been there just to call them out for being assholes.

Comment

Reminds me of a really bad storm we had had in my southern Midwest area not too long ago. The tornado sirens were going, all the weather channels were warning people to get inside immediately, and the air itself was yellow. I looked out the window to see where the storm was and saw two of my neighbors strolling down the street like nothing was wrong.

Three minutes later the storm hit (and you know it's bad when you can literally see the wind and rain coming straight at you). Trees went down all over the neighborhood. The tree in my front yard lost several large branches, a couple of which came very, very close to blowing through my front window. Our power was out for two hours.

Ten minutes after the storm passed, the two neighbors came strolling back, dripping wet. The woman was wearing a white tee, and believe me, she does not belong in any type of wet tee-shirt contest. They acted like it had just been a gentle spring rain. Morons.

Comment

There's nothing so important that you need to go to a mall during a severe weather event!! I can understand someone rushing to get a live-saving medication, but other than that? Nope.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  One family gave me a hell of a hard time, saying snottily "Well, the SIGN says the mall closes at 5!" I explained due to weather we were closing at 2. They argued "No, your sign says 5!" I snapped and said "Well we're closing NOW!"
                  Hmph... I would have replied to the SC, "Okay, you're not getting it. I can have the cops haul your ass downtown to jail for trespassing on private property, or you can save your own lives and go somewhere else. No time for arguing. What'll it be?"

Comment

When I was still a sub jockey in Fort Worth, I had a Clueless Individual come in in the middle of a huge hailstorm. I watched him rather incredulously dodge SOFTBALL SIZE HAIL to run into the store and then act surprised when I asked him why he was risking his life for a sandwich. He didn't seem to understand. Then, you know its coming, it happened: *SMASH* a hailstone goes through his windshield while we're both up front.

I didn't have the heart. I gave him the sandwich for free since it just cost him a new windshield and whatever water damage his car was taking.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      There's nothing so important that you need to go to a mall during a severe weather event!! I can understand someone rushing to get a live-saving medication, but other than that? Nope.
                      If it's an ongoing condition and a predicted severe weather event, you stock up before the event.

If it emerges suddenly, you don't go to the pharmacy - you go to the ER. Or you call ahead to an all-in-one emergency doctors/pharmacists centre and find out if they're open. I, at least, would be expecting my regular pharmacy to be closed for the weather.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                        Hmph... I would have replied to the SC, "Okay, you're not getting it. I can have the cops haul your ass downtown to jail for trespassing on private property, or you can save your own lives and go somewhere else. No time for arguing. What'll it be?"
                        A holding cell would probably be a safe place to be during the storm, so that's not a bad idea.
                        There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

Quoth julchen View Post
                          They acted like it had just been a gentle spring rain. Morons.
                          As long as they're not complaining, more power to them. Foolish, probably. But who doesn't do foolish things at some point in their life?
                          Last edited by Gurndigarn; 11-02-2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                            I continue to be amazed at how misinformed and downright idiotic the public is when a friggen hurricane is coming. "Just a little rain"... yeah, tell that to the many people who just lost their homes after a tree slammed into it or the houses that burned to their foundations because the wind spread it across dozens of blocks and the firefighters were unable to reach the flames.
                            And that poor bastard in New York who got killed in his home by a falling tree.
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                            X