Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customers Suck, Customers Suck, Customers REALLY Suck!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a violation of both State AND Federal law to work off the clock and, in theory, get your employer (as in your direct supervisor, the store manager AND your corp overlords) in serious trouble. Several agencies could swoop in and really get many people into serious trouble if this kind of behavior continues.

REPORT this NOW!!

NO pay = NO work no matter what.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I would report this if I were you. Being made to work off the clock is not only illegal it is unfair to you as well. You have a life outside the store.

Comment

Yeah, what they said ^_^ I had *ahem* good reason to look up the laws on this some time back -- working off the clock for free is, legally, consdidered the same thing as being forced to do it.

The suck is both wih the idiot supervisor, AND with the custy who refused to leave ou alone even after you told her you were off the clock.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If corporate come and see the store isn't sparkling maybe they would authorise more hours!

And
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

A few years back I was at a Safeway store and there was a commotion going on. Turns out a deli employee had accidentally removed part of a finger through a mishap with a deli slicer.

While not a life threatening incident, paramedics were called and the deli was shut down while the employee was treated and the incident investigated.

Now what if this had happened while the employee was off the clock, yet still doing stuff with a deli slicer for some reason? So many liability issues there, both for the employee and for the store.

Comment

Quoth barainga View Post
              I would never ever work off the clock no matter what. If they aren't paying me, then Im not doing it.
              Same here. My mantra in this occasion is "I don't work for free", and I stick to it. This is why I always refuse to let customers in after closing time; I won't get anything good out of it, and I only get paid fifteen minutes after closing time.

That woman sounds like a bitch, tho. What sort of person suddenly decides they need turkey after 10 at night?
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                Same here. My mantra in this occasion is "I don't work for free", and I stick to it.
                Sam here. I've been in the grocery business over 20 years now and not once have I ever worked off the clock.

If I'm told not to stay past a certain time, then I simply clock out, gather my things and go. I have had a couple of occasions where I've had a store manager ask me to stay off the clock but would apply it to my hours for the following week . . .

Umm, how about HELL NO? I work, I get paid - end of story. See ya later, alligator.

If you don't want to be that blunt about it to your Sup/Manager, just simply tell him/her that you have already made plans for after your shift is over. If there's any grief over it, just reiterate that you have things YOU need to do and stick to that.

They'll eventually STFU and learn to leave you alone, hopefully.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth vegasmatt View Post
                  Anyway my deli closes at @ 10. The closer is off at 10. Because of the coporate people coming tomorrow my boss had some extra stuff he wanted me to do. I still have a ton of work but now I have maybe an hour of extra work. Clock hits 10 I'm not done I still have lots of work but I have to clock out(no overtime is allowed). The deli is closed all the lights are out and you'd have to be from another planet to not comprehend that fact. I keep working off the clock.
                  Regarding working off the clock, I have 5 words for you: Hell no! Don't do it.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  THIS! It is illegal for an employer to make you work off the clock. If you have a union, contact them. OSHA would be a good call, too.

Too many employees do not know their rights. It's a good idea to look into them in your state.
                  Never mind forcing someone to work off the clock, it's illegal for them to ALLOW an employee to work off the clock (on the principle that the "bad apples" would claim that they weren't forcing the employees to do it, they were volunteering to do it).
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I used to work at a Cheap Bastards- I mean, Papa John's- as a delivery guy. It was my side job from when I was a Correctional Officer. The manager would schedule upwards of 7 or 8 drivers to all start between 5 and 6, but would not clock anyone in until the calls picked up. Mind you, his friends were scheduled early and were working steadily - but that's another story.

While we waited in the back, the manager would ask very nicely if we would give him a hand while it's still slow; i.e. run a few veggies through the slicer and fold boxes. Mind you, we're still off the clock and you don't have to live in a toilet to know what a shitty situation is...

So I went along with this for a few days, then I spoke out loud near the manager's open door "Why the hell are we working if we're not getting paid?"

He immediately comes out of his office and says to me [in a heavy accent] "Kaibutsu, Kaibutsu, Kaibutsu... do not be upset! It is just not busy and there are just a few things that needed to be done... I just ask because it is slow."

I replied very calmly and matter-of-factly, "First of all I'm not upset; were I upset, I'd just take you outside and whip your ass in the parking lot. I understand it is slow but I just want to know why I'm not getting paid for the work I'm doing here."

I noticed then the entire store was silent. The manager looked at my completely calm face, raised his hands and said "No, no, no... is OK..." then walked over and clocked me into the system. "Everything alright now?"

I smiled and said, "Everything's been fine - I was just voicing my opinion."

He smiled back at me nervously and went back into his office. When I went back to finish folding boxes, all the other drivers were staring at me agape.

"What...?"

"We can't believe you just did that..."

*shrug* "I can't believe you all are still working for free..."

I left there shortly after basically telling him to bugger himself after sending me to deliver a pizza on a hill in an ice storm.

Comment

Working...
                    X