This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're so cute I just want to pinch your cheeks

Background: I make custom stuffed animals and furry costume pieces for a living.

Short and sweet.

I had a customer today tell me that she'll send me the money for her small, extremely simple commission after Christmas, because by then she'll have more money, and also "that will give you time to celebrate christmas with everyone and not be stressed out by any commissions and whatnot"

I didn't reply, because it doesn't really need a response, but I had to resist the urge to say "You actually think that you're my only customer! That is just precious and adorable! It's so cute when people are still in that 'I'm the only person in the world' stage of their development! I hope that your allowance is enough to buy what you want from me." *cheekpinch*

In reality my commissions-to-be-completed-during-December list has eight plushes on it, including a four foot tall Fluttershy. So yeah, I don't think her two-hour project would make any difference one way or another.

(I do think this person is actually quite young, but it always boggles my mind when people assume that they're the only customers I'm dealing with, when it's VERY obvious that I'm extremely busy, always have lots of work, and am constantly completing and posting commissions for customer.)
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Four foot tall?! That's really kinda awesome!

Comment

i want a four foot tall fluttershy...

Comment

I'm saving up for a large (ish) stuffy from spark. But not a four foot fluttershy!
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I wonder if the person did realize that their commission isn't all that you're doing, but that they meant to make your life a little easier with the only thing they had control of.

Of course, since I wasn't there, they might have been really condescending and awful, in which case, grrrr.

And they might really have thought it was a giant deal, I don't know. (Which is a really oblivious thing to think, obviously.)
          Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 12-09-2012, 05:27 AM. Reason: fixing
          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
          -----
          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
            I'd commit homicide for a 4 foot tall Applejack.
            If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
              I wonder if the person did realize that their commission isn't all that you're doing, but that they meant to make your life a little easier with the only thing they had control of.

Of course, since I wasn't there, they might have been really condescending and awful, in which case, grrrr.

And they might really have thought it was a giant deal, I don't know. (Which is a really oblivious thing to think, obviously.)

Well, the line "that will give you time to celebrate christmas with everyone and not be stressed out by any commissions and whatnot" is a direct quote, that's what they said, verbatim. Maybe they are poor communicators, but saying that by waiting on theirs, I wouldn't be stressed out by "any" it really does rather imply that their is the only commission I'd have right now.
              The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                (I do think this person is actually quite young, but it always boggles my mind when people assume that they're the only customers I'm dealing with, when it's VERY obvious that I'm extremely busy, always have lots of work, and am constantly completing and posting commissions for customer.)
                I agree with you, but on the other hand, how would you feel if a company made you feel like you were the only customer they had? It seems like some companies encourage their employees to make their customers feel this way (as if everyone is a VIP). I believe she didn't know that you had more customers you were working with rather than she wanted to make herself feel most important.

Comment

was she asking you to make it after christmas, to avoid stressing you out? or just that she was going to only pay you after christmas?

Comment

I do see how this is really frustrating, because so many people truly do think that the world revolves around them.

I hope your Christmas work goes smoothly, in any case. A four foot tall plushie would be awesome.
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                      Fluttershy is the best pony.

....yaaay...
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
                        Background: I make custom stuffed animals and furry costume pieces for a living.

Short and sweet.

I had a customer today tell me that she'll send me the money for her small, extremely simple commission after Christmas, because by then she'll have more money, and also "that will give you time to celebrate christmas with everyone and not be stressed out by any commissions and whatnot"
                        Translation:I'm broke and I really want it, but I'm broke.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

How about a forty foot tall Derpy?

Make it a lot easier to find her in the crowd scenes.
                          "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

A forty foot tall plushie!

How would you ship such a thing, though? And how would you sew it? Because I want one.
                            -----

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              was she asking you to make it after christmas, to avoid stressing you out? or just that she was going to only pay you after christmas?
                              Both. I had already explained that I need a down payment first. I always try to get that one in early in these conversations!

Comment

Working...
                              X