This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Fisherman are Crazy

If this day keeps up, I'm gonna need to just make a compilation thread.

So, here are some facts:

First snow: Dec 26
    Days it has snowed since: 3
    Days ice has covered the lake fully: 4
    Snow on the ice: partial
    Snow on the ground: Nearly non-existant
    Estimated thickness of the lake, at thickest point: 2 inches
    Amount of ice fisherman who bought bait today: 20+.
    Amount of fishermen spotted jumping on the lake yesterday: 3

When asked about how the lake is, we suggest NOT going out there right now. I know the season is starting late, but anyone with some sense would give it a bit. (Like, ice on the lake for a month, at least a few inches of unmelted snow on the lake).

Bonus story: (different lake)

At my old HS, we have windows looking over the school's lake. So one day, we got to see one of the local's logic.

"What can exist on the lake without falling through?" he asks.
    Me: Yes.
    My truck: No.
    My tractor: Nope.

Yes, the guy takes his truck on the lake. It falls through. So he takes his TRACTOR to go get it.

Hm, it really is recommended that there is 6 inches of ice cover on a body of water before going fishing [it has to accomodate the fisher, an ice shack, a heating unit and frequently extra fishers and gear]

And I know they are freaking nuts, I was spending the night in the family cottage just before my parents sold it sorting through stuff to see if I wanted anything. I was snuggled into my dads old issue arctic weight mummy bag sleeping and around 6 am I heard a crash as someone pried open the back bedroom window with a crowbar. I grabbed the phone and called the cops who knew I was there [I am not a dummy, isolated summer cottage on a lake in the countryside] and they had a car there within minutes. Caught the guy scarpering off towards the next cottage over.

His excuse? I was just opening up a cottage so I could go inside for lunch and warm up.

One of the reasons we were selling the place was it had been burglarized at least once a winter for the previous 5 years and my parents were tired of repairing windows and replacing broken crap, and repainting over graffiti.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I love to ice fish. Power auger is tuned up, and gear is ready, I'll be going Monday. I, however, wait till there's 4 inches of good ice to walk on. Even more if I haven't fished the lake before. I'll never ice fish on a river. You've got to know the conditions before you go out, if not, well, you deserve what you get.

Besides it can cost $6000 or more to get your car/truck out of the lake.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
        Besides it can cost $6000 or more to get your car/truck out of the lake.
        More, once it becomes a criminal case due to your stupidity and you're fined by game & wildlife for cleanup costs because your vehicle/gas is now polluting the environment. Each of the past two winters has had an idiot driving his vehicle out onto the ice. Beer is usually involved.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yes, the guy takes his truck on the lake. It falls through. So he takes his TRACTOR to go get it.
          Darwin award winner?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Last few years there have been a number of news article about vehicles being lost and fisherman being rescued when the ice breaks in Lake Erie.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Darwin award winner?
              Had he not lived to lie about it, he would have been in the running.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                One of the reasons we were selling the place was it had been burglarized at least once a winter for the previous 5 years and my parents were tired of repairing windows and replacing broken crap, and repainting over graffiti.
                Can't have nice things, can we?

I'm glad you weren't hurt. Did the guy actually take anything?
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Can't have nice things, can we?

I'm glad you weren't hurt. Did the guy actually take anything?
                  Nope, scared him off good and proper.

A responsible ice fisher has a fish house or some other way of providing heat. Only a moron goes outside to sit on a frozen body of water without providing some source of getting warmed up or keeping warm. They even have the nicest little tents now so you don't have to have a wooden shack!
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    Had he not lived to lie about it, he would have been in the running.
                    They offer Honorable Mentions for people who did Award-worthy things but survived anyway
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      They offer Honorable Mentions for people who did Award-worthy things but survived anyway
                      AKA The "Better Luck Next Time" category.

'Cause, you know, if they are that stupid to try it once, they'll find something else stupid to attempt.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'm reminded of a Jeff Foxworthy routine where he talks about he was up in Minnesota or Wisconsin or one of those northern states where it gets really cold in the winter time. Some fans invited him to go ice-fishing with them.

Foxworthy: "Thanks very much, but I'm not sure I want to be that cold."
                        Fans: "Oh, it's not that cold. We build a big bonfire out on the lake."
                        Foxworthy: "...and you call us stupid in the South?"
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Why should they worry about ice thickness when there are these guys with a red stripe on their boat with nothing better to do.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            Nope, scared him off good and proper.

A responsible ice fisher has a fish house or some other way of providing heat. Only a moron goes outside to sit on a frozen body of water without providing some source of getting warmed up or keeping warm. They even have the nicest little tents now so you don't have to have a wooden shack!
                            Well, I've been known to ice fish straight out on the ice (and might do so in the morning). When I do, I'm really bundled up.
                            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Whenever I hear about ice fishing, I think of the movie Grumpy Old Men, without fail.

Has there been any really crazy ice fishing stories? Even the drunk ones?

Comment

Working...
                              X